U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-21-2009, 10:35 AM

43 posts, read 111,824 times

Advertisements

I found myself in an odd place yesterday when Animal Control swung by for a visit. Apparently the neighbors have complained that the dogs bark. I have never had a neighbor come to me to complain and this is the first time Animal Control has come by, but now apparently if there is another complaint within a year, I have to go to mediation with the neighbor.

I have three dogs who come inside at night; I generally leave them outside during the day while I am at work. My dogs do bark - they are dogs. Now I'm afraid that every time they bark, even once, I'm going to have to go to mediation with the neighbor.

So does anyone know about the noise ordinances in Las Vegas? I googled and couldn't find an actual law, and the animal control website didn't give me any insight on the problem. I don't want to upset my neighbors, and if I thought it'd help I'd go talk to them myself, but if it is the neighbor that I'm thinking it is, I've already been warned to watch my dogs because that neighbor in particular will shoot them with a bee-bee gun.

Animal Control didn't offer any compromise, just warnings. So am I never allowed to let my dogs outside for longer than 10 minutes in fear that they will start barking and Animal Control will come back? I don't have an HOA, in case that makes a difference.

Just looking for some insight, maybe there is a law that says my dogs can bark during a certain time of day? THANKS!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 11:17 AM

669 posts, read 927,482 times
If your dogs are left outside while you are at work you don't know how much barking they are doing. Yes dogs do bark but that doesn't mean that your neighbors should have to listen to it for 8 hours. Why don't you keep them inside, in crates?

It would be nice if neighbors would address complaints with us but most won't especially if you don't speak at all. These days you never know how someone will react.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:39 AM

I do let my dogs inside at night and place them in crates. I let them outside while I'm at work so they can get their exercise, go potty and not be cooped up all day. I don't think it's an acceptable compromise to place my dogs in crates from 8pm to 6:00 a.m., and then again from 6:30 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. In fact, it seems sort of cruel to do that to them. I love my dogs very much and I don't want to cause problems with the neighbors, but I think that there has to be a more reasonable compromise then "keep your dogs locked in crates all day and all night."

Also, my other concern is this neighbor calling Animal Control again, even if the dogs bark once during a potty break. It seems excessive that Animal Control had to be called at all in my opinion. I agree that my dogs bark and I would have asked the neighbors to reach a suitable compromise with me.

I'm not trying to be unreasonable, I'm just trying to deal with the issue at hand. I would respect "quiet time" if there was such a law, I just want to know if I can at least let my dogs out during the day and not have to worry about Animal Control coming a'knocking again.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:42 PM

Do you even know for sure which neighbor complained or are you guessing?

Maybe you should not lock them in crates when you are home but instead when you are gone. Are they small or large dogs? How about a doggie door or what about getting one of those indoor dog pens if you dont want them roaming the house? Lots of people have dogs & they manage. We aren't talking about dogs being out for a few minutes to play ball, potty whatever & then they are back inside. Your dogs are left out for hours which gives them hours to bark. With 3 dogs I can only imagine the noise if they bark in tandem.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:01 PM

904 posts, read 786,547 times
You can buy a device that sends a dog unfriendly sound every time a dog barks. The dogs eventually get the idea that their ears will hurt when they bark and they learn to be silent.

I have a friend in Las Vegas who bought one of these devices and pointed it at his neighbor's house where 3 dogs bark all day and it worked well after all the painful yelping stopped.

These dogs were driving him mad. It was that or buy a gun.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:09 PM

1,681 posts, read 2,346,901 times
Most but not all communities have ordinances like this one for a good reason:
Quote:
7.36.010 - Noise annoyance.
It shall be a misdemeanor for any person to wilfully permit or allow any animal kept, possessed, maintained or otherwise controlled by such person to engage in continuous barking, yelping, braying or the creation of other loud noise. A noise is "continuous" for purposes of this provision if, because of its duration or repetition, a reasonable person would consider it an unreasonable invasion of the peace and quiet of a neighboring resident.
The odds are in your favor that nothing will be done to you or your dogs. However, you do take that risk because someone complained.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:23 PM

549 posts, read 824,767 times
The only suggestion I can make to you is do what I did, get a dog bark collar. Bark Control: PetSafe Deluxe Bark Control Collar at Drs. Foster & Smith I would probably only put on them during the day while they are outside and your away, and remove at night when they are in the house. There are built in safety features. I put one on my male who used to bark at everything. I, personally, consider 9pm to be too late to hear dogs barking unless there is a good reason.

When we moved recently, I couldn't distinguish if the dogs next door were barking or it was him. I put it back on him and realized it was the other dogs next door. Still, I wouldn't call animal control. I would be reasonable enough to discuss with my neighbor.

Why is it in this day and time people can't be mature and cordial enough to discuss problems with their neighbors? Maybe it is just this city? I never had issues where you felt like you couldn't talk to your neighbors anywhere else.

Last edited by sierramadre44; 12-21-2009 at 01:38 PM..

Old 12-21-2009, 01:25 PM

549 posts, read 824,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Most but not all communities have ordinances like this one for a good reason:

7.36.010 - Noise annoyance.
It shall be a misdemeanor for any person to wilfully permit or allow any animal kept, possessed, maintained or otherwise controlled by such person to engage in continuous barking, yelping, braying or the creation of other loud noise. A noise is "continuous" for purposes of this provision if, because of its duration or repetition, a reasonable person would consider it an unreasonable invasion of the peace and quiet of a neighboring resident.

The odds are in your favor that nothing will be done to you or your dogs. However, you do take that risk because someone complained.
That ordinace is pretty ambiguous. "wilfully permit" "allow" "continuous" "reasonable person"... wow, still it would be a fight that one could avoid with a little action.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:34 PM

I will probably just get bark collars. My dogs are never outside past 8pm. I've never had a neighbor complain about my dogs before, least of all send in Animal Control! And I even lived on base, and people on base were always complaining about everything. But never got a single complaint about my dogs until now!

Thanks for the link, SierraMadre.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramadre44 View Post
The only suggestion I can make to you is do what I did, get a dog bark collar. Bark Control: PetSafe Deluxe Bark Control Collar at Drs. Foster & Smith I would probably only put on them during the day while they are outside and your away, and remove at night when they are in the house. There are built in safety features. I put one on my male who used to bark at every thing. I, personally, consider 9pm to be too late to hear dogs barking unless there is a good reason.

When we moved recently, I couldn't distinguish if the dogs next door were barking or it was him. I put it back on him and realized it was the other dogs next door. Still, I wouldn't call animal control. I would be reasonable enough to discuss with my neighbor.

Why is it in this day and time people can't be mature and cordial enough to discuss problems with their neighbors? Maybe it is just this city? I never had issues where you felt like you couldn't talk to your neighbors anywhere else.

Hey something else to add to your I hate Las Vegas vent-can't bring problems to neighbors' attention.

I'm just messing with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas