Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2009, 07:33 PM

4 posts, read 34,568 times

Advertisements

Im Selling a car, I was told to remove the Lic. Plates so what do i do with them???I dont have another car to put them on, how does the dmv know that ive sold the car?? Sorry for these Q's ive never sold a car in this state and thing are a bit diff. here.

or do i have to stand in that long line to return the plates???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 07:37 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Vehicle Registration/Plate Cancellation and Refunds

Old 12-21-2009, 09:25 PM

549 posts, read 1,379,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
So what happens if you don't surrender the plates? I saw a thing on the news that they don't give cash refunds, so why bother? Also, I went back to TN with NV plates. When I came back here with TN plates the DMV lady and I were talking and I told her TN didn't take the plates, they were in my trunk. They were collector plates by then. We both said at the same time... put them on ebay! LOL

Old 12-21-2009, 09:31 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramadre44 View Post
So what happens if you don't surrender the plates? I saw a thing on the news that they don't give cash refunds, so why bother? Also, I went back to TN with NV plates. When I came back here with TN plates the DMV lady and I were talking and I told her TN didn't take the plates, they were in my trunk. They were collector plates by then. We both said at the same time... put them on ebay! LOL
Honestly, I do not know. I put the link up for the OP for reference only.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:32 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Just tack the plates up on the wall of your garage like everybody else and forget about it. If they haven't expired make sure no one can steal them and try to use them. Otherwise they aren't worth anything.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:39 PM

5 posts, read 14,692 times
Nevada Vehicle Registration

Old 12-22-2009, 04:56 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonaadam View Post
Dam* it! We're getting to be just like everybody else. Let's all move to Wyoming.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:13 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billturn View Post
Im Selling a car, I was told to remove the Lic. Plates so what do i do with them???I dont have another car to put them on, how does the dmv know that ive sold the car?? Sorry for these Q's ive never sold a car in this state and thing are a bit diff. here.

or do i have to stand in that long line to return the plates???
You want to remove the plates for YOUR OWN protection.

You sell the car to a buyer who is a thug. You get the money and hand him the title. He neglects to register the car so the state still thinks it is your car. Your old car is used in a felony. The police look up the registration and think YOU own the car. They arrest you. How do they know that YOU sold the car?

Without valid plates, the car is likely to be stopped and questioned.

That is my 0.02 worth but I am sure that some of the car dealer types on the board can give you additional reasons.

Personally, on a CASH transactions with UNFAMILIAR parties, I like to meet them at the DMV with the cash and make sure that they apply for a title. It makes it easier for everyone concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas