U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-21-2007, 02:06 PM

560 posts, read 1,481,797 times
Default spider bite

Don't want to scare anyone but I just want to relay what happened to me so maybe it won't happen to you. Apparently I was bit by a "Desert Brown Spider" on my abdomen. I noticed this bite Thursday evening. I went to work Friday and by Friday evening I was running a fever of 103 and felt like he**. I came home and took some motrin and went to bed, thinking I had the flu. The bite on my abdomen still looked non threatening at this point. Saturday morning the bite had turned black in the center and had an angry red circle around it. I went to the ER and ended up in surgery having the bite and the area around it removed surgically. This involved about a 5 inch round section of my abdomen. The physician told me that if I would have waited much longer it would have been much more serious. The staff kept calling it a "Brown Spider Bite"... well, being from Michigan I thought they meant "Brown Recluse Spider" but apparently Las Vegas has this Desert Brown Spider which is just about the same as the Brown Recluse. At the hospital they told me that anytime you get any type of bite here in Las Vegas you should see a doctor just to have it evaluated. I am just so thankful that it didn't bite one of my children. I have no clue where this spider could have been, we have our house sprayed once a month like clockwork.

So..... like I said, not to scare anyone, but be aware, and if you notice a bite on yourself or your child get it looked at right away. I also have a small dog and I don't know what would have happened to her if it would have bitten her. Also, our exterminator told us that while they do spray for spiders, it only works if the spiders go where the spray is. I am not sure how you make sure that happens????
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 02:58 PM

15,757 posts, read 20,291,968 times
I suspect that is the famous brown "wedontknowwhatthatis" spider bite. Use to always be ascribed to the brown recluse spider until it became clear that there are no brown recluses here. Than the desert recluse except they are almost never found in habited places

Here is a bit on the subject...

The wound following a brown recluse spider bite may look red around the edges with a rotten center, and systemic symptoms can sometimes develop over the whole body. However, it is difficult to distinguish a spider bite from wounds caused by other things just by looking at the wound. Doctors commonly misdiagnose unexplained wounds as brown recluse or other spider bites. Alarmingly, cutaneous anthrax, Lyme disease, cancer, and "flesh-eating bacteria" are just a few of the conditions that have been misdiagnosed as brown recluse spider bites. These medical mistakes can lead to delays in appropriate treatment and possibly to loss of life or limb.

http://www.llu.edu/llumc/emergency/venom-er/arachno.html (broken link)

Old 05-21-2007, 07:49 PM

206 posts, read 716,701 times
I was sitting on the floor the other day and leaned back against my bed and felt something pinch like a mother ****er, I looked at my back in the mirror and had a red mark that has since scabbed up,, but I am still clueless as to what it was

Old 05-21-2007, 11:56 PM

11,397 posts, read 19,760,756 times
If you felt it then it probably wasn't a spider. I don't think you feel spiders when they inject you (they don't actually bite), but it could have been a scorpion, or even an ant. There's not much else around here that bites.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:08 AM

40 posts, read 141,798 times
I was bit about 30 years ago right on my belt line on my back. They say it was a spider but I have since learned that often doctors mis diagnos the spider bite. the recluse as stated is not found in vegas, or at least wasn't. with the mass migration here it is possible that they can be shipped here.....may not live long or reproduce but could be here.....I still have a scar that looks like a .38 wound. it started as a red dot and slowly got bigger and turned yellow in the middle....when I went in to have it looked I i was given a aintibiotic and it dried up almost over night. the doctor told me if it had grown just a fraction bigger they would have had to cut .5 inch of healthy flesh around it .
often these type or most any spider shy away from human. often the inject when You give them no choice to run....like in bed you roll on them. they hide in cloths that just hangs or sits with little use.... the newspaper stacks next to the fridge.....stacks of towels you don't rotate.....mostly dark ,undisturbed areas....pest control only kills them the day you spray and the spray actually contacts them.....they walk on spikes much like fingernails thus the chemical does not get absorbed like roaches..... everyone is effected different, mine just itched and grew. but i have a friend who knelt on one and his knee got so swollen and fluid filled that he still has problems almost 2 years later...

Old 05-22-2007, 09:20 AM

7,865 posts, read 13,750,361 times
Yikes! I hope you will be OK. Take it easy!

Old 11-10-2008, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 31,539 times
Hi I am in Mass. for 6 months about 3 months ago i woke up with a bad bite on my arm. I began to get muscle aches and a low grade headache. I did not think of adding 2+2 and that they may be connected. the bite disappeared in about 10 days. then 2 weeks later I got bitten again in my sleep. The same symptoms came back. with the same results. Since then I have been bitten about 1-2 times every few weeks with the same results. Now i have several huge bites on my back and neck. I have torn my room apart, Sprayed bug spray, and lit of some bombs all to no avail. Is there anything I can do.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agucci View Post
Hi I am in Mass. for 6 months about 3 months ago i woke up with a bad bite on my arm. I began to get muscle aches and a low grade headache. I did not think of adding 2+2 and that they may be connected. the bite disappeared in about 10 days. then 2 weeks later I got bitten again in my sleep. The same symptoms came back. with the same results. Since then I have been bitten about 1-2 times every few weeks with the same results. Now i have several huge bites on my back and neck. I have torn my room apart, Sprayed bug spray, and lit of some bombs all to no avail. Is there anything I can do.

Bed bug hunt. Google bed bugs and go from there. Spiders don't work that way.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:30 PM

2 posts, read 31,539 times
I already looked into bed bugs. these bites are the size of a silver dollar they are not clustered together.and they are painful and ooze a little, they happen 2-3 weeks apart. i have taken the mattresses of the beds removed the bed board and checked all over for bed bugs, my room mate has also had 2 to 3 bites and he sleeps in a different room.
thank you for the thought

Old 11-10-2008, 01:39 PM

Fascinating. Hey if you figure it out let us know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas