Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 04:51 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,001 times

Advertisements

It would be a horrible shame if they terraced Sunrise or Frenchman's Mountain. It is truly beautiful when the sun hits it.

Who owns it anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 05:59 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
It would be a horrible shame if they terraced Sunrise or Frenchman's Mountain. It is truly beautiful when the sun hits it.

Who owns it anyway?
V irtually everything past the built up part is owned by USA. There are a few mining or quarrying claims I believe. It quickly gets into the Lake Mead Rec area.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:02 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,001 times
There are some mining companies back there. I used to drive back in that area when I needed to clear my head. Great for star gazing and so close to the city, too.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:06 PM

52 posts, read 228,221 times
I live up in Centenial Hills (Providence) and we have a GREAT view of the Valley.......luv being able to see downtown but only go when out-of-towners visit.....Hello down there!!!

Old 01-04-2010, 09:09 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,388,720 times
Summerlin if viewed from a distance is nothing but uphill.
I imagine that north of the northern beltway will be also build up. The Desert Wildlife Refuge will limit that access though

Old 01-04-2010, 09:20 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
The north is pretty well blocked. Floyd Lamb park is to be extended to Decatur and then a freeway run between it and the mountanis.

I don't see much enrodes into the hills other than the Summerlin piece west of Sun City...and that is a done deal. The southwest corner of Sun City is at about 3000 feet. I suspect the houses west of there will go up another 1000 or so.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:51 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
They are into the foothills a little ways to the west, but they will never get to build up the mountains. The BLM controls most of the land around here, and hopefully they won't do any more trades. Back before Summerlin, when Hughes bought up all that land for pennies an acre, there was a big fuss by environmentalists. A deal was made that Hughes would provide a half mile buffer zone between Summerlin and the mountains. With unscrupulous politicians and land developers I don't know if that agreement still stands today.

I am really surprised at what they've been allowed to do on Black Mountain. But then nobody ever thought they'd build up Frenchman Mountain which was completely covered in garbage before they started building.

Las Vegas is landlocked. Everything surrounding us is BLM land. That's why if you hang on long enough your property will be worth something again.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:08 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
The north is pretty well blocked. Floyd Lamb park is to be extended to Decatur and then a freeway run between it and the mountains.

I don't see much inroads into the hills other than the Summerlin piece west of Sun City...and that is a done deal. The southwest corner of Sun City is at about 3000 feet. I suspect the houses west of there will go up another 1000 or so.
I'm not sure where it stands, but Tule Springs may be protected from the freeway and an Ice Age Park may be out there in the future. Tule Springs Ice Age Park (http://www.tulespringslv.com/index.php - broken link)

I received this email 11/19/09:

HISTORY HAS BEEN MADE!!!!

Despite the lack of press coverage (more to come this weekend, I think), the Protectors of Tule Springs, along with other coalition groups has done what everyone told me was impossible 3 years ago.

The cities of Las Vegas and North Las Vegas voted last night on the resolution to protect the Upper Las Vegas Wash as a National Park Unit. And the County Commission passed the same resolution on Tuesday. An agreement and single voice to our Congressional Delegation has been made! I am told these 3 entities don't often agree on anything.

Not only did they all pass it unanimously, but they gave us huge kudos for bringing everyone together.

I want to thank Sandy Croteau of POTS, Lynn Davis of the Nat. Parks Conserv. Assc. , and Helen Mortenson for running with all of the details since I am so tied up teaching and going to UNLV. Also, to Lisa Mayo-Deriso and Rob Mrowka for the talking points and public relations.

Now, many have asked what they can do now. If you have not called the congressional delegation, please do so TODAY!!
I know Health Care is the #1 issue right now, but they need to hear from us!!!

Sen. Reid 388-5020
Sen. Ensign 388-6605
Cong. Berkley 220-9823
Cong. Titus 387-4941

Thanks to all. This is only the next step. There will be a lot that needs to still happen to make this National Park unit a reality!

Jill DeStefano
POTS

Old 01-04-2010, 10:21 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post

The southwest corner of Sun City is at about 3000 feet. I suspect the houses west of there will go up another 1000 or so.
And if that should occur, what would that translate to for those living up there?

Colder winters, cooler summers. Perhaps keeping a snow shovel in the garage.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:33 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,419,303 times
They said the valley would fill up prior to the recession, but I am not sure it will fill anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas