U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-13-2010, 05:42 PM

46 posts, read 70,122 times

Advertisements

My wife thinks that we can remodel our bathrooms in a weekend. Oh and with just a few bucks makeover the rest of the house. When I tell her that they use contractors and have all kinds of help that they don't tell you about, she thinks that I am just lazy. I am just a little. Am I the only one?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 05:54 PM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,204,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasvegasjeeper View Post
My wife thinks that we can remodel our bathrooms in a weekend. Oh and with just a few bucks makeover the rest of the house. When I tell her that they use contractors and have all kinds of help that they don't tell you about, she thinks that I am just lazy. I am just a little. Am I the only one?
You're right. Tell her this is not different from modifying your car. Ask her what she thinks about trying to install a new transmission in her car by herself after watching Monster Garage or some other car show. It's about the same as installing a new jetted hottub in your bathroom after watching one of those home improvement shows.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:28 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,831,845 times
Mediocre But Arrogant on here had HGTV use his home to do a Designed to Sell segment. I kick myself that I forgot to watch it even though I had made a note to myself to do so. I recall him telling us that they did something for another home and said the make over cost one price when it really cost much more for that. The real cost is something else your wife will have to plug into the plan. I'm always blown away when they do a makeover on the Investment property segment where they redo all the electrical, put in heated ceramic bathroom floors, a totally new kitchen, replace existing windows, add a new fireproof door, granite counters throughout and replace existing flooring with either bamboo or high grade carpet. And then the figure of $12,000 comes flashing on your screen with their claims that is all it cost !

Old 01-13-2010, 07:52 PM

2,584 posts, read 4,361,468 times
That was MadManofBethesda who had his house on Designed to Sell. The show I mentioned was an episode of "Landscapers' Challenge" where some friends of one of my direct reports had something like $800k of work done on their yard but the claim on the show was that it was more like $200k.

Here is a link to that episode: Rustic, Woodland Backyard : Landscapers' Challenge : Home & Garden Television

Old 01-13-2010, 08:02 PM

2,584 posts, read 4,361,468 times
That damn Bathroom Renovations show had me convinced I could remodel the master bath in my Vegas house in 30 minutes. Here I am five months later having to walk down the hallway to get to a working toilet. Also am not happy that the contractor I hired to fix my mess is a fat guy with "plumber's butt", and not a hot blonde like Amy Matthews, host of Bathroom Renovations and Sweat Equity.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:40 PM

1,628 posts, read 2,539,317 times
The hot blonde plumber is extra.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:25 AM

1,792 posts, read 2,171,655 times
We were down in the condo we bought for a week. My wife thought we could remodel the whole thing in a week. We almost did too. But she didn't realize we were going to have to work 15+ hours a day. So it can be done.

7 days, $9,000 and the place looks new. $3,500 of that was carpet, tile and counter tops.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:48 PM

549 posts, read 825,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasvegasjeeper View Post
LOL... all the comments are very funny! Tell her you can remodel a bathroom in a weekend; change the hand towels. Tah Dah.. remodeled. Just kidding. I think it would be feasible to do one per weekend IF you didn't have to a TOTAL makeover. Of course, most of the work is prep.

When my mom gets bored, she just hangs new curtains. You can also just change the wall hangings around to give it a new look or move furniture. Everything else that the shows do is way too in-depth without sufficient time.

Personally, I like HGTV, DIY and some wood working shows. But, one also has to be reasonable. They get paid to do that show. Folks that redo stuff themselves still have to work for a living usually at something else.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:47 PM

12,319 posts, read 12,056,693 times
HGTV, while I enjoy it, for some reason is constantly reminding everybody, "when you sell" So just because stainless, cherry, granite is the rage now, they are pushing for everyone to have it, so in case "they sell".......
reality check: so you buy stainless, granite, cherry and then deceide to sell, say 9 years from now, trust me, they will not be the rage anymore.................

They are conditioning us that we must "stage" a home in order to sell it. I don't believe that, you still have to live there and every wall cannot be a beige with, what do they say?"crisp" white trim. (yuck)

Some of the cheaper things they do like paint cabinets, self stick stainless to a back splash,
crappy curtains, a new light fixture.......might make it appealing to a "dumb" buyer, but I know from reading here, buyers are smart and they know they have to re paint, buy new lighting, have their own window treatments.....blah blah blah.....

OK, I feel better now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas