Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 10:21 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude66 View Post
Yes, tell me about it. Can anyone explain why Las Vegas is so in love with these ass-ugly cinderblock walls? They make the whole damned city feel like a prison compound. Whose bright idea was that?
The walls give you privacy in your back yard. The weather lends itself to indoor outdoor living for a large part of the year. The privacy helps expand your living space into the back yard. Lots in Vegas are generally small and people want their space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 12:24 AM

818 posts, read 3,698,026 times
What I really hate are the "wall streets." You know when you are off the main street and not yet into the subdivision.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:33 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
I like the "wall streets." good for walking, have more privacy, and the dogs barking on the other side of the wall cannot get me. lol

Old 05-31-2007, 07:11 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
What I don't like about those huge walls is that they get in the way of nice views. I have a friend who owns a house in green valley, and has a view of the strip from just about every room in his house. He has a porch outside, but the darn wall is in the way to see the strip from the porch.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:55 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavin LV View Post
Yes, the desert does have it's own beauty. In my opinion, it's best viewed in photos on calendars or websites. As far as the humidity and the wide open spaces, I'm fine with turning on the window air conditioners a few days a year and driving up to Maine or Vermont when I feel the need to get out of town for a change of view. Brown and dead for miles in every direction like it is here gets old very quickly. Dust blowing in my face while I look for some sign of animal life on the dry, dirty backroads of Nevada isn't my idea of a good time .
I can only feel pity for anyone who thinks this way. How sad. They just don't get it.

I believe in the philosophy of Ed Abbey, below:

ESCAPE

“We need wilderness whether or not we ever set foot in it.
We need a refuge even though we may never need to go there....
We need the possibility of escape as surely as we need hope.”

- Edward Abbey

Old 06-13-2007, 12:24 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Just to add to the desert question, is there ever a problem with sandstorms? My cousins lived in Boise, Idaho which looks physically similar and there's always dust on the doorsteps because of the sand blowing in from the desert but that might have been when their subdivision was the furthest one out....now the development has spread well beyond that.

During the time I spent in Vegas it was never that windy but it was only a couple of days. Is the Mojave the kind of desert where the sand and dirt easily flies everywhere when there are gusting winds or is the ground more packed and the dirt tends to not fly...REEALLY sorry for lack of better terms

I also think the desert can be beautiful in Nevada as well as going through Utah and Arizona.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
The walls give you privacy in your back yard. The weather lends itself to indoor outdoor living for a large part of the year. The privacy helps expand your living space into the back yard. Lots in Vegas are generally small and people want their space.
You'd be surprised at how many people behind those walls are getting an all over tan too,

Old 06-13-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Just to add to the desert question, is there ever a problem with sandstorms? My cousins lived in Boise, Idaho which looks physically similar and there's always dust on the doorsteps because of the sand blowing in from the desert but that might have been when their subdivision was the furthest one out....now the development has spread well beyond that.

During the time I spent in Vegas it was never that windy but it was only a couple of days. Is the Mojave the kind of desert where the sand and dirt easily flies everywhere when there are gusting winds or is the ground more packed and the dirt tends to not fly...REEALLY sorry for lack of better terms

I also think the desert can be beautiful in Nevada as well as going through Utah and Arizona.
Yes we have mild sand storms now and then, but not like we used to since everything is paved over or landscaped. There are strict laws about construction sites causing dust and most builders adhere to the law. Since you asked, I can't remember being out away from town in a sandstorm in a long time, but it's still the desert. Mojave, Sonoran, Chihuahuan, Great Basin...it's all desert, and it's all dry, and none of it is covered with grass. It never happened to me in all these years, but I know someone who got the paint stripped off his car on drive to LA in a sandstorm. That was a long time ago though. If you get caught in one, just make your camel lie down, and snuggle up to it with your blanket over you.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post

BTW: It is really windy here. Bad weather for us is wind. But that beats 4 inches of rain in one day, or snowstorms, or mud slides, or earthquakes, or tornadoes, or, or, or....all the bad stuff that happens elsewhere.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:40 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
Just buy alot of hairspray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas