U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-21-2010, 10:54 AM

10,481 posts, read 14,906,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa99 View Post
Roaches...ick! But we have them here too so I can deal.

We also have flies by the millions, mosquitoes, biting gnats, HUGE june bugs which lay eggs in the lawn and their larvae eat the grass roots and kill the grass, fleas, ticks, chiggers, heart worms....the list goes on.

Basically you can't eat outside in nice weather without being inside mosquito netting.
We do not have a problem with the flying bugs (thank God). On the ground though, it is free reign.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 02:16 PM

34 posts, read 156,142 times
Now that some people have posted some replies (keep em coming), I will post some of the reasons I decided to move. Number one by far is definitely the ability to be able to afford a home. Like I said in my first post, I pay more for a studio basement apartment on Long Island than my friend pays for his mortgage in Las Vegas. There are really no homes here for under $400K and the property taxes alone would probably be over $8K per year. Not to mention no state income tax.

Number two would be the weather. Plan a BBQ, party, camping, or fishing trip here and there is a very good chance it ends up getting canceled because of rain (especially during Spring and Summer). I can remember certain years where I swear it rained every weekend for months. If I am outside at dusk or after, I can play connect the dots with all the mosquito and fly bites I will have (they love me). So I am looking foward to more sunny days, less humidity, and less bug bites. Sure there is extreme heat for a few months, but I would rather that than the frigid cold. I also have to tell you I was there in July and it was 103 degrees and it felt better than being here when it is 85 degrees and 90% humidity.

Lastly, I could never live in a rural area, growing up in New York I like having lots of things to do. Vegas certainly provides that and is also close to plenty of other west coast cities I can visit.

I am not looking at this as a place that will solve all my problems and sure there are other places that have lower cost of living, or better weather than here, but I think Las Vegas has the most advantages for me. I wont know until I try.

The main things that worry me about the move are finding a job (although I will have money saved and can stay with a friend for free until I get one), leaving friends and family (although my fiance is coming and I do have some friends out there), and crime (eveyplace has some, but I have heard about a lot of car theft, gangs, etc in Vegas). Sorry it was so long but thanks for reading.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:40 PM

316 posts, read 455,215 times
I now live here in LV, but I've lived in the Memphis area, the Washington DC area, St. Louis, Kansas City, and I've often visited the Detroit metro and New Orleans.

LV is no more dangerous than any of those places overall - all cities have their bad and good parts, and LV has a lot of pretty good parts.

Don't be afraid of LV because of crime - it's no worse than many cities of its size.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:19 PM

11,594 posts, read 20,567,042 times
Quote:
Roaches...ick! But we have them here too so I can deal.

We also have flies by the millions, mosquitoes, biting gnats, HUGE June bugs which lay eggs in the lawn and their larvae eat the grass roots and kill the grass, fleas, ticks, chiggers, heart worms....the list goes on.

Basically you can't eat outside in nice weather without being inside mosquito netting.
I never said we have NO bugs. But compared to just about anywhere you can name, we have very few bugs. Roaches are everywhere on the planet. They were among the first, if not THE first, bugs on this planet, and will be here long after we are all gone. If not mistaken trilobites were almost a roach, and there are hundreds of zillions of trilobite fossils in Nevada.

BUT! The bugs here, including roaches, are nowhere near as bad as Texas, or Florida. I know, I've lived in both states. Even West Virginia, where I'm from, which isn't a southern state and has about the same bugs as other northern states, has a thousand times more bugs than Nevada. We do have the usual bugs like flies, bees, and ants; we even have a type of gnat but it isn't really pesky like other gnats, and, especially in warm weather, we have small brown crickets all over the sidewalks. And our spiders aren't numerous like in other states, except for the black widow which has very distinctive markings and habits that are consistent enough that you can learn and be able to avoid them. I know others claim to have seen them indoors, but in all my life I've never seen one inside the house. They just don't live that way. I do see them near openings in garage doors though.

You will step out on your door stoop some night, and there might be a huge wolf spider sitting there. Leave her alone. She won't hurt you but will help keep other bugs away. Now and then you will see house spiders eating your dust mites. You won't see them often, so leave them alone too. Keep the house free of dust and you won't have dust mites anyway.

What we don't have in the desert is fleas, or heart-worm causing mosquitoes. I know we have ticks but I've only seen one on a previous dog/personal security detail, and that was years ago after a hike in the mountains. You'll always find a few mosquitoes where there is standing water, but water evaporates so fast in the desert that there isn't much of that; so mosquitoes aren't completely absent, but you'll hardly ever see one. Makes you wonder how they got here in the first place.

Anyone who has lived in the east, or especially in the bug infested south east, will find Las Vegas in particular, and Nevada in general, to be pleasant as he** compared to where they're from.

June bugs, Lisa? I love June bugs ...and lightning bugs. I wish we had those too.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:52 PM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,207,857 times
Oh yeah, one more thing about LV. The people here are generally nice and helpful. Repairmen actually show up on time, staff at restaurants and stores are courteous, and people are generally non-judgmental and will leave you alone if that is what you want.

I've posted this before and locals were incredulous and claimed LV was full of jerks, but compared to other big cities it is much more hospitable.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:58 PM

450 posts, read 1,025,071 times
Agreed that 100+ temperature with no humidity is a lot more tolerable than 85 with 90% humidity. I lived in WNY for 30 years and always loved the heat of the summer, but hated the stickiness that went with it because of the humidity.
I love that the sun shines 98% of the time when you wake up in the morning. Makes it easier to get out of bed and start your day. These past few days with rain and clouds, has been making me very tired and lazy.
Oh my gosh, no mosquitoes is my absolute favorite thing about living here! Especially when you go camping, all you have to deal w/ are those pesky flies, but those go away at night! Love being outside playing softball at night and not getting devoured by the mosquitoes! Had a black widow living in my hallway stair though, pretty scary looking spider, and I really hate spiders..literally I shiver when I see them, but it would just run back into it's hole in the step whenever I turned on the light. My carpet cleaners, however, refused to work around the spider, so they sucked it up! Never bothered me though. If I see a wolf spider staring back at me on my step Buzz, I'm going to have a stroke!

Old 01-21-2010, 04:40 PM

545 posts, read 1,380,456 times
I love the way it smells in Vegas after it rains.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:45 PM

154 posts, read 248,592 times
I'm with you on the spiders Hockeygirl. When I see a big hairy one on TV I cover my eyes. I know better but I just can't help myself...it's an automatic reaction.

But I do promise Buzz if one takes up residence near our house I will let it be as long as he doesn't try to attack me ;-)

As for June bugs, I love them too. It's their larvae that they lay in the grass that I detest. We have an army of armadillos in our neighborhood that love to dig up the grubs (June bug larvae). Between the craters the armadillos leave from digging and the dead grass from the larvae chewing some years it impossible to have a nice lawn.

No fireflies? I'm crushed, but I'll get over it...

Old 01-22-2010, 11:19 AM

15,378 posts, read 23,317,312 times
Quote:
I'm with you on the spiders Hockeygirl. When I see a big hairy one on TV I cover my eyes. I know better but I just can't help myself...it's an automatic reaction.

But I do promise Buzz if one takes up residence near our house I will let it be as long as he doesn't try to attack me ;-)

As for June bugs, I love them too. It's their larvae that they lay in the grass that I detest. We have an army of armadillos in our neighborhood that love to dig up the grubs (June bug larvae). Between the craters the armadillos leave from digging and the dead grass from the larvae chewing some years it impossible to have a nice lawn.

No fireflies? I'm crushed, but I'll get over it...
When I moved from here to NJ to work a few yrs ago, I saw the first fireflies of my life and was fascinated with them...

don't worry...if a wolf spider shows up just throw him a nice thick steak and he'll leave you alone.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:00 PM

10,481 posts, read 14,906,290 times
Am I the only one who likes spiders here? I had a beautiful tarantula that I owned before. He was friendly, and I would pick him up without being squeamish. I will say I do hate black widows though since they are poisonous, but most spiders are cool IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas