U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-25-2010, 01:37 AM
 
10 posts, read 26,711 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

How is the job picture in Vegas, because I am thinking about moving there soon, I am thinking about living on the west side of Vegas. I heard that area is more safe than the other areas in Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-25-2010, 01:56 AM
 
113 posts, read 343,643 times
Reputation: 78
Bring at least 12 months worth of living expenses. Does that answer your question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2010, 01:58 AM
 
10,485 posts, read 22,598,158 times
Reputation: 6611
Economist: unemployment rate likely to rise | NevadaAppeal.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2010, 01:12 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
5,737 posts, read 12,063,636 times
Reputation: 3848
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_032 View Post
How is the job picture in Vegas, because I am thinking about moving there soon, I am thinking about living on the west side of Vegas. I heard that area is more safe than the other areas in Vegas.
im sure some people will rebut my post. but i am seeking a job in vegas as well, depending on whta area your experienced in, try going to http://www.mgmmiragecareers.com/ they seem ot have lots of full time and part time openings there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2010, 02:56 AM
 
Location: Here and there, you decide.
11,599 posts, read 22,733,596 times
Reputation: 3900
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
im sure some people will rebut my post. but i am seeking a job in vegas as well, depending on whta area your experienced in, try going to Las Vegas Jobs - MGM MIRAGE Employment - Las Vegas they seem ot have lots of full time and part time openings there
wait till you are here.. trust me half those jobs don't exist and the ones that do, they are getting 1000 apps for 1 job. its like monster.com and the temp agencies, full of crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2010, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
5,737 posts, read 12,063,636 times
Reputation: 3848
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
wait till you are here.. trust me half those jobs don't exist and the ones that do, they are getting 1000 apps for 1 job. its like monster.com and the temp agencies, full of crap.
Perhaps this is a good time to be in the grocery business? When I take my trip Im going to hit up Albertson's and Smith's and see what they have to offer. That is the one area I have experience in. 2 years experience isnt much but its something when you're 20.

Not to many 20 yr olds have held a job for 2 years like I have.

I seem to have the upper hand in the retail field even though retail can truly suck sometimes. Im a lot more patient with the public then I used to be when I worked at Disney at age 16-17 I can smile but be totally pissed on the inside
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2010, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Kingman AZ
15,371 posts, read 33,831,100 times
Reputation: 8977
then you are ready for LV and have a marketable skill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2010, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
5,737 posts, read 12,063,636 times
Reputation: 3848
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
then you are ready for LV and have a marketable skill
If that is not sarcasm I appreciate that and it makes me feel a lot better knowing that I will be coming to LV with SOMETHING that is marketable. Even if it wont pay too well the point is it will pay

Im going to check out both Albertson's and Smith's and see what they have to offer

Last edited by DavieJ89; 01-26-2010 at 12:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2010, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Kingman AZ
15,371 posts, read 33,831,100 times
Reputation: 8977
was not sarcasm....when I use sarcasm you will KNOW it

Any one with disney experience will have marketable public contact skills....look into things such as Hotel Reservations, Hotel Front Desk etc....these position do not require that you be 21 and STRONG public contact experience is a plus....make sure you have a resume that points that out and make sure when you go for an interview that you have your "Disney Personality" on....I can't tell you the number of people that I have interviewed that don't make it out of the starting gate because they can't talk to the public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2010, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
5,737 posts, read 12,063,636 times
Reputation: 3848
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
was not sarcasm....when I use sarcasm you will KNOW it

Any one with disney experience will have marketable public contact skills....look into things such as Hotel Reservations, Hotel Front Desk etc....these position do not require that you be 21 and STRONG public contact experience is a plus....make sure you have a resume that points that out and make sure when you go for an interview that you have your "Disney Personality" on....I can't tell you the number of people that I have interviewed that don't make it out of the starting gate because they can't talk to the public.
I worked in Outdoor Food and Beverage at Disney's MGM Studios (now called Hollywood Studios but screw it, it will always be MGM studios to me) I will add it to my resume when I head on out there. But jsut know I only worked for Disney from September 2006 to August 2007, and I walked off the job without giving notice (like I said I was a very different person when I was 17) for stupid reasons. Disney won't rehire me though.

It probably will look a lot better on my resume either way I assume right?

I know a guy here in Orlando who worked for MGM Grand in Vegas for years before relocating to Orlando in 2004. He claims he can help me with a job there, but I dont know nothing is guaranteed these days. We'll see
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top