Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 03:19 AM

14,229 posts, read 29,918,220 times

Advertisements

Here's a little MCM.

http://prairiemod.typepad.com/prairi...ges/midmod.jpg
http://visuals.publicnewsnetwork.net...1/DSC06205.JPG
http://seattle.redfin.com/blog/10640.Wdhvn.House.jpg

lvkewlkid, don't know why but I have always assumed you were male. Those showers are great for shaving your legs. But you most likely don't do that. They are also good for bathing the dog. I have no idea why they were originally popular though. Maybe someone else knows? The Brady Bunch house is MCM!

Buzz, your house is beautiful. I like that style too. Reminds me of Santa Fe. I have also wondered why there aren't a lot of homes built in that style. There are a few of these that are older in downtown Vegas. I saw one in the MLS once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 04:21 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,239,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
lol, I always get confused between Paradise Crest, Flamingo Crest (Eastern and Flamingo), and Paradise Springs,

The neighborhood Buzz123 is talking about is Paradise Crest and is in between Flamingo and Harmon, but its not close to Eastern, its actually east of Pecos. The Hammargren entrance is off of Sandhill...The Scenic route is right though...does anyone know why there is a lot in that neighborhood for sale with an empty pool and just a foundation? Was there a fire or did somebody just want to build a new house? But last time I was there (2 years ago) it was for sale.....Yeh the Oak World is still there.

I think that MCM is Mid-Century Modern, which is, IMO, strongly Californian mansion influenced architecture that you find in Paradise Palms...they are houses with large windows, some are big ranches, if you drive around the Las Vegas National CC which is pretty far from you off of Eastern and DI, that is where you can see a lot of them...it kinda reminds me of the Brady Bunch house, but I'm not sure if that's a good example...
Thanks, I was thinking of Sandhill when I said Eastern. I hope nobody got lost looking for it. I used to live on Rochelle near Pecos and would walk all over that area, but it's been a while. Haven't seen the lot with just a pool and foundation. It wasn't there when I lived in the area, but a house fire in that area seems to ring a bell. I know they used to have a lot of trouble with those shake shingle roofs catching fire around the 4th of July. But maybe the doc need the lot to store his junk.

Yes it is confusing with all the communities around town with Paradise and Crest in the name. Thanks for clearing up MCM, and you are right about the homes on that golf course looking like the Brady Bunch house. Those were all brand new when I came to town and Johnny Carson owned one of them. I haven't been able to keep up with all the name changes of that course so I still call it The Stardust Golf Course. How is a high school kid gets around town that much and knows so much about this subject? At that age my only interest was girls and basketball.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:27 PM

[quote=
Buzz, your house is beautiful. I like that style too. Reminds me of Santa Fe. I have also wondered why there aren't a lot of homes built in that style. There are a few of these that are older in downtown Vegas. I saw one in the MLS once.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. There are quite a few custom homes in the Pueblo Revival style, especially in this part of town. But ours is the only whole community of that style that I know of. Our builder, who specializes in that style was said to be thinking about another community like this one, but I doubt that he will. His thing is building customs.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:41 PM

I could get into that style. I think there were a lot of those on the DI Golf Course before Stevie tore them down. When I lived in an apartment about three blocks from those homes on the DI I was able to tell my friends that my neighbors were people like Betty Grable and Keely Smith. And, of course I wasn't that far from Johnny Carson. I had friends on the Stardust Golf Course too. When my stepson was in first grade at Ruby Thomas, he told us he had a new girlfriend. She turned out to be the daughter of one of the Inkspots. They lived on the Stardust Golf Course. Ruby Thomas, by the way, was one of the top ten schools in the United States when my kids went there.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:12 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,652,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Here's a little MCM.

http://prairiemod.typepad.com/prairi...ges/midmod.jpg
http://visuals.publicnewsnetwork.net...1/DSC06205.JPG
http://seattle.redfin.com/blog/10640.Wdhvn.House.jpg

lvkewlkid, don't know why but I have always assumed you were male. Those showers are great for shaving your legs. But you most likely don't do that. They are also good for bathing the dog. I have no idea why they were originally popular though. Maybe someone else knows? The Brady Bunch house is MCM!

Buzz, your house is beautiful. I like that style too. Reminds me of Santa Fe. I have also wondered why there aren't a lot of homes built in that style. There are a few of these that are older in downtown Vegas. I saw one in the MLS once.
well, you are correct, I am a male, lol...

Old 06-08-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Thanks, I was thinking of Sandhill when I said Eastern. I hope nobody got lost looking for it. I used to live on Rochelle near Pecos and would walk all over that area, but it's been a while. Haven't seen the lot with just a pool and foundation. It wasn't there when I lived in the area, but a house fire in that area seems to ring a bell. I know they used to have a lot of trouble with those shake shingle roofs catching fire around the 4th of July. But maybe the doc need the lot to store his junk.

Yes it is confusing with all the communities around town with Paradise and Crest in the name. Thanks for clearing up MCM, and you are right about the homes on that golf course looking like the Brady Bunch house. Those were all brand new when I came to town and Johnny Carson owned one of them. I haven't been able to keep up with all the name changes of that course so I still call it The Stardust Golf Course. How is a high school kid gets around town that much and knows so much about this subject? At that age my only interest was girls and basketball.
i'm interested in las vegas history, so I have read some books about it, for a while, at least 3 years, we had been looking at different places in town to live, so thats how I know about the different areas, also, when I took the school bus, it used to go down Spencer through Paradise Palms to get to Orr MS and through all the older neighborhoods...People here find it strange that we go all around town to places, back where we're from, it was normal to go from town to town for food shopping and other stuff and travel 30 minutes to an hour and a half in any direction to go somewhere, so we still practice that now...

Old 06-08-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
i'm interested in las vegas history, so I have read some books about it, for a while, at least 3 years, we had been looking at different places in town to live, so thats how I know about the different areas, also, when I took the school bus, it used to go down Spencer through Paradise Palms to get to Orr MS and through all the older neighborhoods...People here find it strange that we go all around town to places, back where we're from, it was normal to go from town to town for food shopping and other stuff and travel 30 minutes to an hour and a half in any direction to go somewhere, so we still practice that now...
I like Las Vegas history too. Have several unread books on my coffee table.
My daughter went to Orr and she also taught there. Where is back home? I gather you're an easterner like me. Although if you are I'm surprised because most easterners don't like to drive very far. I didn't until I moved to Nevada. Now 100 miles for lunch doesn't seem like much. I commuted 120 miles round trip to work in New Mexico.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:05 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,918,220 times
I like learning about LV history and architecture too. Vegas has an interesting past. I do think we will see more interest in downtown in the future. And I'm hoping some of those people want to preserve classic Vegas. Not just buy condo's!

Old 06-09-2007, 12:36 AM

I'm from Jersey...we lived in a couple of different areas, where major stores were down the road, or where major stores were 20 minutes away in the nearest big regional township...

Old 06-11-2007, 01:09 PM

78 posts, read 341,510 times
Great thread!
Few things I would like to further clarify.
MCM homes or Mid Century Modern Homes or Architecture is different than Mid Century Ranch style homes. Both unique and classify as Mid Century. Vegas has a mix of both, and offer an alternative to stucco box neighborhoods. Paradise Palms = MCM mid, Mcneil Estates = Mid Century Ranch Homes.
Anyone intersted in meeting other like minded individuals with a passion for preservation, history, architecture of the Mid Century Modern era, or post war era should attend meetings with the Atomic Age Alliance at The Atomic Age Alliance is a volunteer organization dedicated to celebrating historic Mid Century Modernism and Atomic Age design, signage, architecture, culture and business through ongoing community advocacy, activism and educational programs Meets the second Wed of every month at a different location. Perfect for those that reside or love all the neighborhoods referenced in this and many other threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas