Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2010, 08:18 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times

Advertisements

Ok so a lot of you know I will be visiting Vegas next month. And that Im 20 and not old enough to rent a car yet. One of my coworkers has a daughter who lives in Henderson and she is willing to let me drive one of her two cars around the valley rather then take the bus

Is driving there as bad as Orlando, better or worse?

Orlando Driving is listed below

-Lots of tourists who look at the scenery or their maps, rather then the road

-Old people who drive WAY too slow

-Young people who drive WAY too fast (im guilty of this on occasion)

-People who drift along at 5-15 below the speed limit, yakking away on the phone or texting in one hand while smoking with the other (or eat food, put on make up, etc)

-People on 6 or 8 lane roads who will dart from the farthest left lane to make a right hand turn, showing no concern for anybody

-People who take FOREVER to leave the green light and get up to the speed limit

-Drivers who are NOT tourists are transplants from all different places and have different driving styles

Most of the time I dont have any problems getting where I need to go, but that is what daily drivers in Orlando are like

What can I expect in Vegas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 08:37 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
The co-worker's daughter is willing to take that insurance risk???

Old 02-07-2010, 08:40 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
I'd say it is a little less congested here, but very similar. I don't think you'll have tourists and old folks getting in your way too much. But then I've only driven in your area a couple of times. Vegas is basically a grid. Once you learn a few landmarks you can't get lost. I think having such prominent landmarks is the difference.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:42 PM

326 posts, read 1,371,370 times
I find driving around Vegas alot easier than Orlando but stay off the strip if you can. Think International Drive X 10 and you get the picture.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I'd say it is a little less congested here, but very similar. I don't think you'll have tourists and old folks getting in your way too much. But then I've only driven in your area a couple of times. Vegas is basically a grid. Once you learn a few landmarks you can't get lost. I think having such prominent landmarks is the difference.
I've looked at the Valley several times on google maps. You're right it is mostly grid-like and that to me is a good thing. Roads in Orlando are all over the place, the only thing we have that even comes close to being a grid is downtown, which is maybe 6 sq miles at best

Henderson is a different story though IMO. I'm looking at it on google maps right now. Not quite as gird-like as Vegas itself

The only areas in the valley that really break away from the grid set up is Summerlin, Anthem, and parts of far North Las Vegas like Aliante

Old 02-08-2010, 03:52 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,112 times
I've been to Orlando once
Vegas about 8 times or so

Orlando reminds me of driving in SD County
Where personally I think our drivers suck
our road lay out sucks
and the mentality here sucks

Vegas might be crazy for some(speeders and red light runners are there) but the simple 4-way grid with 3 lane BLVD's and speed limits around 45MPH,it's really really really easy for one to get around.On a lot of Arterials the lights are green waved(if you drive around the speed limits you should get all greens) .People say that they are not but are they going around the speed limit?In 06 we went from MLK and Cary to CSN on Charleston and TP in about 9 mins or so.Just took MLK down and made a right at Charleston.2 Streets to go 9 miles is unheard of in places that don't have a grid(eg:ORL or SD)

Old 02-08-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
I've been to Orlando once
Vegas about 8 times or so

Orlando reminds me of driving in SD County
Where personally I think our drivers suck
our road lay out sucks
and the mentality here sucks

Vegas might be crazy for some(speeders and red light runners are there) but the simple 4-way grid with 3 lane BLVD's and speed limits around 45MPH,it's really really really easy for one to get around.On a lot of Arterials the lights are green waved(if you drive around the speed limits you should get all greens) .People say that they are not but are they going around the speed limit?In 06 we went from MLK and Cary to CSN on Charleston and TP in about 9 mins or so.Just took MLK down and made a right at Charleston.2 Streets to go 9 miles is unheard of in places that don't have a grid(eg:ORL or SD)
going 9 miles on only two streets can be done in orlando/ you just have to know which roads to take like i do.

tourists dont have a clue here. even some florida natives are clueless. i have no problem getting around at all

since only downtown orlando is a grid, using 2 strets two go the distancwe you mentioned isnt always feasible as i know the shortcuts and there are other roads that can get me quicker to my destination

at least transportation wise, vegas was built intelligently unlike orlando
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas