Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:37 AM

5,595 posts, read 18,990,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
I live in Oregon and have my insurance through Allstate. When I tried to insure my condo in Vegas, my agent referred a Allstate agent in Vegas. I guess my agent is not able to write a policy in Vegas.
Yeah, after reading your post, I had to make few calls to clarify even further. What I’m gathering is that BOTH the agent and the carrier have to meet certain requirements. And it also depends on what is being insured. For example, I once had a Nevada agent write a policy for Nevada homeowners through Travelers. When I asked the same Oregon agent who wrote the policy for my vehicles if she could handle my homeowners policy, she said she couldn’t. However she told me that she could write a Safeco policy for my house in Nevada. A few years back, I had a Montana agent write a policy for me on a recreational vehicle.

Now, I’m contradicting myself from what I stated in another thread about seniors providing jobs/work and business to bolster the local economy. My going out of state to shop for an agent that can give me better rates and service is not providing a local agency the business. I’m bad and self-centered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 10:54 AM

23,426 posts, read 23,773,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
No, that is what I pay for only six months, and this is with absolutely no coverage other than the 15/30/10 liability limits. They are ripping me off. My driving record is perfect with no tickets OR accidents. I have no idea how the people in this thread are getting such great rates. I have checked around everywhere and Progressive (who I have) is by far the lowest.
Um, DUI?

Old 02-16-2010, 11:14 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,115,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Um, DUI?
Swagger,

7/20/2006 DUI

You are surcharged for 3 years on a DUI. It has now been well over 3 years, and I have posted this before. I have gotten 2 tickets since then, but I went to traffic school on both, which reduced them to parking tickets. My record is finally totally spotless. The only thing left at all is the SR22 with expires in 2 weeks. However, when I have been requesting quotes I have been saying I have no tickets or accidents. I still have been getting high quotes regardless.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:13 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,456,380 times
When I went on State Farms website and did the quote it was much, much higher. Then I had one of their agents do the quote with our vins numbers and ss numbers, and came in about half of what the original quote was.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:09 PM

23,426 posts, read 23,773,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Swagger,
7/20/2006 DUI
You are surcharged for 3 years on a DUI. It has now been well over 3 years, and I have posted this before. I have gotten 2 tickets since then, but I went to traffic school on both, which reduced them to parking tickets. My record is finally totally spotless. The only thing left at all is the SR22 with expires in 2 weeks. However, when I have been requesting quotes I have been saying I have no tickets or accidents. I still have been getting high quotes regardless.
Don't know what to tell you, then. Might have something to do with being a new customer - older customers tend to get better rates. Could also have to do with how long your commute is, your zip code, theft deterrent system (or lack thereof), whether or not you have anti-lock brakes, etc.

I've been with my insurance company for about 13 years, and I'm quite happy with my rate. We have full coverage on an '02 Astro and an '03 Beetle, liability on my Jeep and renter's insurance, and we're paying about $250/month for all of it.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:14 PM

15,370 posts, read 38,977,348 times
we have full....REALLY full on Wifes 04 Sonata, my 95 Dakota, Grandsons 94 Grand Am. and homeowners ins [and he's 18] and we pay $250 [approx] with Farmers.[NOT the cheapest ins in the world]

Remember also.....that you get what you pay for....you may find cheap ins somewhere.....but wait til you have a claim.....

Old 02-16-2010, 02:24 PM

5,595 posts, read 18,990,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
we have full....REALLY full on Wifes 04 Sonata, my 95 Dakota, Grandsons 94 Grand Am. and homeowners ins [and he's 18] and we pay $250 [approx] with Farmers.[NOT the cheapest ins in the world]

Remember also.....that you get what you pay for....you may find cheap ins somewhere.....but wait til you have a claim.....
But, every carrier has their horror stories. Every carrier will have people happy with their claims service and some not so happy. Some people think Farmers is awful:

Farmers Insurance Group Sucks

edit: I guess I should present a more balance example. Wikipedia ..."In 2005, 2006, and 2007 Farmers Insurance Group won the J.D. Power award for Call Center Customer Service Excellence." --however: "In 2003, Consumer Reports rated Farmers Insurance Homeowners "Worse" for both "Problems with Claim" and "Delayed Payments" See section entitled "Service Ratings"

Last edited by scirocco22; 02-16-2010 at 02:32 PM..

Old 02-16-2010, 02:58 PM

15,370 posts, read 38,977,348 times
I think a lot depends on your agent too.....ours in right on top of EVERYthing.....and we have never had a problem...we've made a couple of claims....both taken care of instantly....

Old 02-16-2010, 03:28 PM

157 posts, read 419,092 times
Just got our car insurance quote for our upcoming move. Policies go into affect April 1:

AAA insurance
2001 Mercedes S430 and 1999 Chevy Silverado - $1200/year for a full coverage policy covering both cars.

Reason we were given for such a great rate is that we both work from home so drive < 3k miles each per year, our 'insurance score' was good, we chose a $1000 deductible and AAA is also doing our property insurance on the house.

I was pleasantly surprise and had prepared for a much higher price.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:47 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,926,680 times
When i had farmers i was paying over $500.00 a yr. Ins companies are thieves especially the hartford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: