Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 10:32 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Willbur View Post
See, I don't get it and no offense but your not making your point valid to me. I can care less about the show Pawn Stars. Before they were on TV they were there doing biz for many years there, right? So just becuase you don't shop there or in that area, does that mean that there is not traffic and tourism driving through that part of town from the Strip to Fremont St?

I am looking for valid answers not just something you may not like.
the point i am making is before they were on television, they had an average of 40-50 people come through their doors a day, with the show, they have over a thousand..... enough that they have a rope outside to control crowds.... and fine you can take the comment with a grain of salt.. come down and check it out yourself then...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 10:39 PM

8 posts, read 12,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
the point i am making is before they were on television, they had an average of 40-50 people come through their doors a day, with the show, they have over a thousand..... enough that they have a rope outside to control crowds.... and fine you can take the comment with a grain of salt.. come down and check it out yourself then...
40-50 people a day is not bad buisness if the spend and average of $100.

Been there a few times and I understand that the area is rough. Fine, but is it something that won't genrate traffic to a store that specializes in something in the entertainent industry?

I will be there for 5 days week after next.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:40 AM

1,376 posts, read 3,081,484 times
It might help if you tell us what it is you sell. Something music related doesnt sound too much like an impulse foot traffic type sale.

If that's the case you may be better suited by being in a better location and just advertise.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:00 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
There are several pawn shops in that downtown area, and lots of other small businesses. It isn't the garden spot of Las Vegas, but is probably a good spot for what you do. You'll need to take precautions as to securing the place after hours as crime is higher around there, but you will get a lot of traffic on Las Vegas Boulevard. Plus the local musicians won't care where you are. If they hear about you they'll seek you out. In fact I think they probably like the funkiness of the area. That's probably what keeps it alive for businesses like Gold and Silver Pawn Shop (on Pawn Stars), and others. That area has had other music industry stores in the past. It is also in the area where most of the wedding chapels are. And Doña Maria's restaurant still does well. Isn't it near there?

Old 02-15-2010, 03:52 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,242,871 times
I'm not too familiar with your industry, but I did notice that Ed Roman Guitars originally opened on Dean Martin Road not too far away from the Panorama Towers (I-15 between Tropicana and Flamingo, essentially). This centrally located store had good signage from the I-15. The store has moved to Warm Springs and Durango, which is a fairly suburban area in the southwest side of town. I know Ed Roman is a legendary name in the world of guitars.

I have some rather niche hobbies myself and I find that a lot of those stores are located near downtown. When a person in the valley needs a guitar part, they are going to basically have to go where the parts are. A central location like the one you mention makes sense to me, especially given your web presence. I wouldn't count on foot traffic. People are going to have to seek you out and drive there.

If your operation is sustainable via the web and you can ride out making a name for yourself with the locals over a period of time, I would say go for it. If you are expecting to make money from the local market as a major source of revenue, I would at least size up your major competitors (does guitar center or sam ash offer what you offer? what about independent stores?)

It sounds like you sell a very niche product. I would do some serious research before setting up shop.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:11 AM

946 posts, read 2,603,328 times
It sounds like you sell a very niche product. I would do some serious research before setting up shop. (Quote)

I couldn't agree more. A large guitar store closed down in the last couple months, I can't remember the exact location but I did drive by and see it vacant. As I am sure the owner is aware, most customers need a set of strings, a pick, something pretty small that generates little profit. If you have a dependable income from the internet that covers all your bills that would be okay. I wouldn't plan on paying your mortgage through a guitar shop on the strip.

My own business is auto repair, you'd think this would be great, but some weeks I make 200$ and I need 125$ a day to pay my rent, electric etc. What has worked out is buying classic cars to restore; you may find you will need to diversify and pursue other types of music-related business to make enough money.

My family and I love it here and it is the best possible place for my auto business in the world, but the bills stack up pretty high and as a new business my revenue is limited. As the previous poster noted, do your research. I play guitar but have no business sense of the music industry; my suggestions would be to stay in Vegas for a week, hang out at the location where you would put your store, find out who and how much you'd need for advertising, talk to some local players in the music scene, talk to some current guitar store owners. Good luck! But if you're going to gamble, this is the place.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:52 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,317,694 times
No, most tourists do not rent cars and go that far up the Strip. You would be quite a bit north of where all the tourists are. I cannot imagine one being able to afford the rent, if something were available, that would put them in proximity of tourist foot traffic. If otoh, as you say, your shop would be a destination, then you do not have to consider that and could locate wherever the drive would be easy for those coming into town. I guess you will have to define your market better. Being a business owner myself, I would think your type of business would be one that brings in only those who are looking for guitar related products and therefore a location on the Strip would be totally unnecessary.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:57 AM

8 posts, read 12,152 times
Some really great advice and ideas. Thank you everyone. Like I said before, I am coming down on the 26th and plan on staying for about a week to seek out the locations and check out the scene.

As for my product that we make, I am keeping that on the down low for now here. Our product is a cut throat product among my competitors. As being the one that many have copied my moves with my biz, we are upping it by opening a shop to the public. We are getting some national magazine press about the shop opening up in Vegas. So we know that will create a buzz among our targeted musicians.

I have had a couple of you send me private messages regarding other hot areas close to the strip for a shop/manufacturing locations. I really truly thank you guys for your input.

As for other let's say "Music Shops" there. What is diffrent about us would be our custom made product that can be turned around in 24 hours to our local customers. I think that is something that will apeal to our local musicians. I know that here where we are at, that has been a complaint among the locals. That they had to order online when we were in the same city.

So, who knows for sure but at least trying out a location does not mean we can't move to another spot there in town if it does not pan out where we first set up.

Anybody hears of a great possible location, feel free to message me. Thanks again!

Old 02-16-2010, 02:50 PM

156 posts, read 403,609 times
LV Blvd & Gass? Honestly, I've lived here since 1970 & wouldn't drive on LV blvd north of Sahara, let alone park and shop or walk there.

Perhaps you could go on some musician forums and see if the musical community in LV would go there. My impression is that a lot of the musicians in this town have ties to UNLV and the arts programs there.

Good Luck!

Old 02-21-2010, 02:00 AM

46 posts, read 101,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Willbur View Post
See, I don't get it and no offense but your not making your point valid to me. I can care less about the show Pawn Stars. Before they were on TV they were there doing biz for many years there, right? So just because you don't shop there or in that area, does that mean that there is not traffic and tourism driving through that part of town from the Strip to Fremont St?

I am looking for valid answers not just something you may not like.
the answer was valid...that is not the best of areas. it is down town closer to the wedding chaples and cheesy strip joints. if you plan on keeping the store open late you may really be suprised. the bars on the windows was not a joke and the stores really do have bars on the window. i think the post was just trying to give you a visual of the area you are suggesting, i have to say i would not open my business there. i very rarely even go down to that part of town, and when i do it is because i know people from pawn stars. on the other hand you are right they have been there and making a living but until the recent months they closed their doors a night and used only a window for transactions! i am just not sure that it would be the area your clients would want to go to. there are so mant available buildings i would try for something a little nicer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: