U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 07:06 PM

762 posts, read 926,437 times
My neighbor has cameras set so that he sees my home, don't know if I mind or not. There is a weird guy that keeps coming to my home saying my dog is his. I picked up my dog and carried it out to him and he still said it was his. Yeah whatever. My dog has been with me since he was 6 weeks old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 09:05 AM

15,380 posts, read 22,500,812 times
I would suggest to "Wierd Guy" that if he ever came back again he would be treated as a trespasser and eaten by "his dawg"

Old 02-16-2010, 09:41 AM

14,072 posts, read 9,747,045 times
I've lived in two neighborhoods in LV, and previous to moving here, I lived in a fairly affluent city in Ventura County and a lower-middle class part of Los Angeles (near Venice) before that.

I had the most trouble in the "nicest" place, where my Jeep was vandalized and broken into multiple times.

In L.A., I had one occurrence of vandalism against my motorcycle and my apartment was broken into once, just before I moved and after I had given my 30 day notice (I lived there almost 6 years).

I also had a Honda scooter stolen from the driveway of the house I grew up in, which is in a very "safe" neighborhood that's well off the main streets in a suburb north of Los Angeles.

I've lived in LV for about three years now, and the only problem we've had was having a window broken and a GPS stolen from my girlfriend's car. We knew better than to leave it on the dash, though, and had just gotten lazy about taking it inside - it was just a matter of time.

Bottom line: Don't worry about it. Generally speaking, Las Vegas isn't any better or worse than any other medium-large city. You feel safe in OC because you've lived there for a long time and you're comfortable there, but it's a false sense of security. Crime can and does happen anywhere. Just take common sense precautions (such as not leaving your GPS on the dash ), as you should/would regardless of where you live, and you'll be fine.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:10 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,422,287 times
OP:

Let me guess you live in Irvine right? Anyhow, overall Las Vegas is more Santa Ana. You can choose to live in Santa Ana Heights or in the barrio.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:20 PM

11 posts, read 46,438 times
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. It's helpful to talk to people who actually live there (or have lived there) as opposed to people who visit every now and again.

Aggro, yes, we're in Irvine. It's Stepford, yes, but we do appreciate the safety. There are definitely benefits to living here - however affordable housing is not one of them.

We're still discussing it and hoping we have the time to check out LV for ourselves (the parts we aren't familiar with - i.e. all of it but the strip) before a decision has to be made.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:22 PM

15,380 posts, read 22,500,812 times
actually, the Strip should never even enter into your thought process.....it's a bonus.....

Old 02-16-2010, 10:05 PM

49 posts, read 75,339 times
Our family moved here in August from Central NY. We have 4 kids (13, 11, 8 & 18 mos). IMO, you are at a great stage to move here. Your child is young enough that you don't have to deal with the education system here & maybe you can live here long enough to reap the rewards of the job but leave before your kids get to school. I have a many issues with living here & they pretty much all center around my kids, but the BIGGEST issue I have is the education system. We do not plan on staying here long because of this.

I am also a sahm & there are lots of things to do with my 18 mos. old & there are a ton of parks, libraries, etc. You can find a lot to do & you might really enjoy it. If I didn't have to worry so much about the older kids I wouldn't mind it here as much.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:55 AM

13 posts, read 28,266 times
We have been here 6 years now, and have two small children. I would not say that crime is one of my areas of concern in most parts of town, but consider the change in attitude overall. I grew up in CA and enjoyed the laid back and warm (mostly) people. Here, many people are in it for themselves, and I have not found a strong sense of community. If this step means a big promotion, then you have to weigh your options, especially if a another baby is in the future. Also, I don't know the state of the schools in your town in the OC, but things are not so good here in the education department.

I wouldn't say stay away if it means better providing for your family, but man oh man I wish I never left CA.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:48 AM

6 posts, read 6,052 times
My family has to move to Vegas (job related). We are coming from small town. I am scared!!! Is there one person who likes it - Summerlin, Henderson? Few schools are best in State. Gosh - One positive thread - PLEASE ...

Old 06-12-2010, 01:51 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,414,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanya View Post
My family has to move to Vegas (job related). We are coming from small town. I am scared!!! Is there one person who likes it - Summerlin, Henderson? Few schools are best in State. Gosh - One positive thread - PLEASE ...
Do a little more research on each separate thread roxanya and you'll see that there are many of us who love it here. You'll find a few people that bash Vegas for no reason at all and no facts to back up the claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas