Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 04:04 PM

21 posts, read 36,368 times

Advertisements

hubby got free ticket to las vegas and I want to come along. but also bringing kids. so besides the "adventuredome" in circus hotel is there anything I should not miss? also I am interested in high energy activity. for example the rock climbing park? is it close to the circus circus hotel? is the weather hot in las vegas? are there good water parks for kids? what can I see and show my boys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 04:29 PM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Red Rock
Red Rock Canyon

Springs Preserve
Springs Preserve - Official Web Site

Atomic Testing Museum
The Atomic Testing Museum and the NTSHF

Rachel, NV (if they're into aliens & know about "Area 51" - probably too young)
Rachel, Nevada Home Page

A trip to Mt. Charleston is always pleasant.

As for the weather, it depends on when you'll be here. It's hot from about mid May through mid September. For about 4-6 weeks on either side of summer, it's quite nice. The rest of the year it can be pretty chilly. Right now, it's 61 outside (3:30pm).

Old 02-25-2010, 04:36 PM

thanks, before I look into all the links I gotta ask: I will not have a car in vegas so are these places close to the "strip"? also the weather sounds great! it's snowing cats and dogs here

Old 02-25-2010, 04:47 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,470,355 times
Definately Siegfried and Roy's Secret Garden and Dolphin Habitat at the Mirage. The Aquarium, (I think it's called Shark Reef or something similiar) at Mandalay Bay, the talking statues at Caesars (although I've seen some kids cry at this, lol)

There is a rock climbing attraction inside the Adventure Dome at Circus Circus, and yes it gets very hot here in Las Vegas in the summer.

We don't have any water parks, but the hotel pools are usually pretty good for kids, depending upon which property you're staying at and at which time of the year you're coming to visit.

Those ages that you stated for your kids, are tough ones. They are too young to really understand a lot (and in some instances that's a good thing) and might become over-tired and bored at walking in and out of hotels all day.

If you can venture off the Strip at all, the Lied Children's Discovery Museum is wonderful, the Museum of Natural History (both of these on Las Vegas Blvd, North) there is a rock climbing place on West Charleston Blvd., mini-putt putt golf on So. Fort Apache Road/Patrick, the Las Vegas Mini Gran Prix to name a few things your kids would enjoy. Unfortunately, they are not located on the Las Vegas Strip and you'd need a car to get to any of these places I just mentioned in this paragraph.

Give me more time, I might think of a couple more incidental things kids that age would be interested in, on the Strip, but there ain't much.

In my opinion, (and it's only my opinion) is that the best thing to do is leave the kids at home with a caregiver and you and hubby take a wonderful Vegas vacation!

Last edited by MomMom; 02-25-2010 at 04:56 PM..

Old 02-25-2010, 04:56 PM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnothere View Post
thanks, before I look into all the links I gotta ask: I will not have a car in vegas so are these places close to the "strip"? also the weather sounds great! it's snowing cats and dogs here
Nope, none of them are anywhere near the strip.

You should consider renting a car. There are some things you can do with the kids on the strip, but I don't know if there's enough to occupy days worth of time.

I'm also not big on little kids being on the strip - there's a lot that they can see/hear there that they probably shouldn't.

Oh, I forgot to put Hoover Dam in my list.
Bureau of Reclamation: Lower Colorado Region - Hoover Dam

Old 02-25-2010, 07:15 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

I'm also not big on little kids being on the strip - there's a lot that they can see/hear there that they probably shouldn't.
Finally we agree on something. I cannot tell you how many times I have actually been yelled at by parents on the strip with their children for bad language, bumping into them, etc, etc... Hello, it is the adult playground by the name of Las Vegas, not Disneyland LOL.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:29 PM

OK, so I see. Las Vegas is a serious "adult place"
and I agree. I definately do not want my kids to see/hear things that are inappropriate. so here is the problem:
I don't drive.
so
is tere a hotel near, say, red rock canyon? and is red rock canyon a walking distance from the childrens museum or the rock climbing...?

Old 02-25-2010, 08:32 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
you really need to look at a map....Redrock Canyon is an easy walk....if you are a serious hiker....

Old 02-25-2010, 08:35 PM

were you kidding about rachel?

Old 02-25-2010, 08:38 PM

177 posts, read 357,056 times
Some local tourist agencies offer Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam tours.
They pick you up from the strip.
If you haven't been to the Grand Canyon, you may try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas