Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 01:51 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times

Advertisements

I am not one to talk myself as I have still not been to Vegas yet but it amazes me how many people seem to "know it all" about Las Vegas when they have never been there or have only been their on vacation and didnt ever leave the Strip

A lot of people have told me I "need to be very rich" to live in Las Vegas, and that I won't last two weeks and my best friend said that the city will "tear you apart chew you up and spit you out"

I still have a lot to learn about Las Vegas but I have learned a lot just on the forum and I wanna say you guys have given me a lot of cool info, and have all been really nice for the most part

Has anybody else ever met the people I describe who "know everything" about Vegas yet they have never left the strip, or have never been there at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 02:22 PM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
A lot of people have told me I "need to be very rich" to live in Las Vegas, and that I won't last two weeks
Ridiculous. Who are these people? Have they ever lived here? Of the ones (if any) that have, what's their story?

Most people that have lived here and talk like that came here with fantasies of being a professional gambler, or moved here without a job and expected to get rich dealing blackjack. They blame the city for their own lack of planning and/or grip on reality.

Quote:
and my best friend said that the city will "tear you apart chew you up and spit you out"
On what does he/she base his/her opinion? See above.

Quote:
Has anybody else ever met the people I describe who "know everything" about Vegas yet they have never left the strip, or have never been there at all?
Only in this forum.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:17 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,242,871 times
Quote:
I am not one to talk myself as I have still not been to Vegas yet but it amazes me how many people seem to "know it all" about Las Vegas when they have never been there or have only been their on vacation and didnt ever leave the Strip

A lot of people have told me I "need to be very rich" to live in Las Vegas, and that I won't last two weeks and my best friend said that the city will "tear you apart chew you up and spit you out"

I still have a lot to learn about Las Vegas but I have learned a lot just on the forum and I wanna say you guys have given me a lot of cool info, and have all been really nice for the most part

Obi Wan Kenobi once told Luke Skywalker in Star Wars, "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

The people who told you that you need to be very rich and that the city will tear you apart, chew you up and spit you out are speaking from a point of view. It's not incorrect. If you are living an unsustainable lifestyle or otherwise get pulled into one of our many tractor beams (clubbin, boozin, gamblin, sexin), you can definitely consider your balls to be in the salad shooter.

I know a lot of people who never go to the strip. People often wax philosophical based on a lot of preconcieved notions. There is no shortage of people with different interpretations of what Vegas really is.

People "who know" about Las Vegas are all speaking from their own unique perspective. The real beauty lies in fine tuning your BS detector and creating your own story with your wit, intellect and the other skills that Momma gave ya. Carve your own path.

But I understand your point of view, too. If someone hasn't been here and they are giving you advice about it, perhaps they are afraid for you? Maybe they are just moralizing? Maybe they know something about your character that they worry about? Maybe they are just full of it?

Obi Wan also said, "Who is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him." Just do what you know is right, dont let the bastards get you down.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:37 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times
Obi Wan also said, "Who is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him." Just do what you know is right, dont let the bastards get you down.

I would like to add that you need to have realistic expectations. Do you think you can work a full-time grocery job (if you can get one) and still go to community college?

Old 02-28-2010, 03:44 PM

Obi Wan also said, "If you choose to face Vader (Vegas), you will do it alone. I cannot interfere."

So um....relevency here.....try to keep it relevent....ah, yes. Don't let others opinions about Vegas sway you, unless you're Pommysmommy. Use your own gut to figure it out. Realistic expectations! Yes.

I will stop with the Obi Wan quotes...for now. I bet if we all tried, we could tell you about Las Vegas strictly from great Star Wars quotes.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendrive View Post
Obi Wan also said, "If you choose to face Vader (Vegas), you will do it alone. I cannot interfere."

So um....relevency here.....try to keep it relevent....ah, yes. Don't let others opinions about Vegas sway you, unless you're Pommysmommy. Use your own gut to figure it out. Realistic expectations! Yes.

I will stop with the Obi Wan quotes...for now. I bet if we all tried, we could tell you about Las Vegas strictly from great Star Wars quotes.
I am just being practical. If the OP intends to come here and go to college while holding down a full-time job he needs to have "all of his ducks in a row". His experience is working in a grocery store. He still has to have a roof over his head, groceries, and tuition money at a bare minimum. I think some here are too flip about encouraging others to just make a leap of faith.

Last edited by pommysmommy; 02-28-2010 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: left out a word

Old 02-28-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I am just being practical. If the OP intends to come here and go to college while holding down a full-time job he needs to have "all of his ducks in a row". His experience is working in a grocery store. He still has to have a roof over his head, groceries, and tuition money at a bare minimum. I think some here are too flip about encouraging others to just make a leap of faith.
I was giving you a complement! I am in total agreement with you too, Pommy. I often speak of Vegas in terms of it being a cautionary tale.

I know DJ89 isn't necessarily looking at Vegas through rose colored glasses.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendrive View Post
I was giving you a complement! I am in total agreement with you too, Pommy. I often speak of Vegas in terms of it being a cautionary tale.

I know DJ89 isn't necessarily looking at Vegas through rose colored glasses.
Oops. Sorry. It is too easy too become defensive these days.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:21 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:

If it were not for the economy, you would absolutely have no problem making it here in Vegas. Still, I have a lot of faith in you and I feel you will succeed here. I can also tell you that the people telling you that you have to be rich to live here are full of sht. You can live very well on $30,000 a year here. I do it on less that $20,000 and still do ok. The cost of living is relatively low and probably comparable to Orlando. I was also told back in 2006 by everyone in Phoenix that I would be back within a year, and there was no way I would make it here. Looks like I had the last laugh on that one.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:36 PM

112 posts, read 224,721 times
Hi DJ89,
When I lived in Florida, it was the same thing. I'm sure you've heard all sorts of idiotic myths about Orlando that people who have never been there like to spread (Walt Disney's head is under Cinderella's castle!). LOL. Same with here... seems like everyone has a story or an opinion, whether they have been here or not.

Having read many of your posts, I do agree with LVD's comment. You seem to be aware, willing to do the research, and know that work and preparation is key to making a move work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: