Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 11:24 AM

10 posts, read 29,031 times

Advertisements

Or, is there no difference? If there is...then what area of Henderson would it be?

I have a grade school aged-child, with asthma, and am very hopeful to figure out which area of Henderson would be best for people with respiratory challenges.

...thank you in advance for any helpful information

Meghan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 12:28 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,050,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meghan1985 View Post
Or, is there no difference? If there is...then what area of Henderson would it be?

I have a grade school aged-child, with asthma, and am very hopeful to figure out which area of Henderson would be best for people with respiratory challenges.

Meghan
Best place in Henderson for low smog and clean air would be Summerlin. GV is at the wrong altitude for cleaner air.

Other than that you can go up the hill...Anthem would be better than GV.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:55 PM

10 posts, read 29,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Best place in Henderson for low smog and clean air would be Summerlin. GV is at the wrong altitude for cleaner air.

thank you very much, olecapt. I was told that the Southeast area of Henderson had a little cleaner air and isn't as bad for smog, via its promixity to Colorado River/Hoover Dam. Is that false?

Also, olecapt...is a GV a acronym for Greater-Vegas? Or, were you referring to the something else?

thanks

Old 03-03-2010, 01:05 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,821,994 times
GV=Green Valley

Old 03-03-2010, 01:09 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,902,516 times
Dust is everywhere here. It just is.

Even more than location, I would buy a newer more airtight home. And have the ducts cleaned every year too!

Old 03-03-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
thank you very much, olecapt. I was told that the Southeast area of Henderson had a little cleaner air and isn't as bad for smog, via its promixity to Colorado River/Hoover Dam. Is that false?

Also, olecapt...is a GV a acronym for Greater-Vegas? Or, were you referring to the something else?

thanks
Inversions layers hold smog and gunk. The lower the altitude the worse the smog as a general rule. As you get to lower altitudes the smog and gunk is worse. Winds carrying dust and smog run down the valleys...So where don't you want to live? In the valleys where we all mostly live. Get up to the higher altitudes and you get less stuff. The strip is around 2000 to 2100 feet. Central Henderson is around 1900 feet. Railroad pass gets up to about 2800. Summerlin is generally above 2500 SF and gets to 3000 at Summerlin Pkwy and 215.

As was pointed out GV is Green Valley...which is among the nicer areas of Henderson.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:22 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,509,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post

Since when was Summerlin part of Henderson?

Did they annex a part of the city that will not be contiguous with the rest?

Isn't Summerlin in LV city limits?

Old 03-03-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Since when was Summerlin part of Henderson?

Did they annex a part of the city that will not be contiguous with the rest?

Isn't Summerlin in LV city limits?
I was being facetious. The message was there is no obvious place in Henderson to escape the dust/smog.

Northern Summerlin is in the City of Las Vegas. Southern Summerlin is in unincorporated Clark County.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:24 PM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,855,996 times
She's asking about southeast Henderson, where the elevations are higher and above Las Vegas.

Yes, SE Henderson is at a higher elevation and the air is cleaner. Green Valley is not southeast Henderson.

Also, as the other poster said, get a newer home and install high-quality allergen reducing air filters in the central air system.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:42 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,228,548 times
Quote:

Meghan
The most egregious offenders in our Air Quality are Ozone and PM10, an ultra-fine particulate. PM10 can be great in one area but high in another. It tends to be localized.

I am curious if one could mitigate the affects of our overall valley air quality simply by living closer to the outskirts or at moderately higher elevation. Living in the valley, our air isn't too provincial. I know some of the worst air quality is noted around the I-15/Cheyenne area. I have never thought about our air quality as a provincial thing. Either it sucks or its nice. Civilized life sort of depends on getting to the valley floor at sometime or another.

We get all sorts of weird grass and tree pollen in addition to smog, which is something to consider. When SoCal goes through fire season, it also adversely affects our air quality.

I would love nothing more than to protect kids and wrap them up in cotton or put them in a bubble, but the reality is if you are concerned about Air Quality, Vegas' is just mediocre at best.

Check this link to the EPA progress report for 2008.

2008 Progress Report | Region 9 | US EPA

Clark County Air monitoring

Air Quality Report and Forecast

And I know we have around some 20 odd air quality monitoring stations in the valley. This article talks about our somewhat dubious improvement in Carbon Monoxide.

Air Pollution Investigation - Las Vegas Now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas