Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2010, 12:07 PM

3 posts, read 5,406 times

Advertisements

Hi world!
I'm excited to be moving back to Las Vegas after living in Miami for 8 years.
For me the most important factor when looking for a place to live is the ELEMENTARY SCHOOL boundaries.
I'm a Middle School teacher and know that the best way to get REAL info is from the teachers / parents not necessarily the State Reports, is also SCARY how bad the overall state of Education is in the county (more for another topic).

PLEASE PLEASE HELP me find a nice PUBLIC school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 12:30 PM

1,631 posts, read 3,950,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back4more View Post
Hi world!
I'm excited to be moving back to Las Vegas after living in Miami for 8 years.
For me the most important factor when looking for a place to live is the ELEMENTARY SCHOOL boundaries.
I'm a Middle School teacher and know that the best way to get REAL info is from the teachers / parents not necessarily the State Reports, is also SCARY how bad the overall state of Education is in the county (more for another topic).

PLEASE PLEASE HELP me find a nice PUBLIC school.
Apparently you haven't heard they aren't hiring. The Legislature had a special session last week.
Under the agreement, state spending on education would be cut by 6.9 percent and most other state agencies would have to trim their budgets by 10 percent. Most state offices would close on Fridays as government employees go to a four-day, 10-hour a day work week.
The deal also calls for getting additional revenue from the mining and banking industries, while also beginning to charge investigation fees to those seeking gaming licenses.
According to a legislative press release, the deal would:
-- Cut state spending for K-12 by $116.8 million instead of the $211 million initially proposed by the governor.
-- Cut higher education funding by $46 million instead of $76 million.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Old 03-05-2010, 01:08 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,469,763 times
You'll get 50 parents on here from Summerlin to Henderson with kids in elementary school and they'll all tell you their kid's elementary school is the best.

You should be in a teacher's forum (you can probably do a google search) and find out what individual schools and their Principals have views and policies teachers like best, and then you can factor in the parent's opinions.

School residential boundaries can be found on the CCSD website.

Last edited by MomMom; 03-05-2010 at 01:17 PM..

Old 03-05-2010, 01:13 PM

No, I did not know of this yet. It is alarming how funding for education is being cut even more I work at Broward County in Florida and even when this district is a little bit smaller than Clark County our budget is almost twice as big.

But it's ok since I'm planning on staying home.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
You'll get 50 parents on here from Summerlin to Henderson with kids in elementary school and they'll all tell you their kid's elementary school is the best.
I considered that, but having worked as a teacher for 7 years I'm usually good reading between the lines of whatever parents say.

You should be in a teacher's forum (you can probably do a google search) and find out what individual schools and their Principals have views and policies teachers like best, and then you can factor in the parent's opinions.

I have done that too.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:28 PM

367 posts, read 817,483 times
Ok, my daughter attends Sandra L. Thompson.

Sandra L Thompson Elementary School - Las Vegas, Nevada - NV - School overview

Sandra Thompson Elementary School

I would call this an "okay" school, mainly because our experience with regular classroom teachers has been "meh" (the GATE teacher is awesome). They're not bad teachers, but the classrooms were extremely full and they focus a lot more on order than on learning, IMHO.

Plus, our child's current teacher is frustrated because the way she is supposed to teach math is, well, really bad. The program sucks - she knows it, we know it, and we all have to suffer through. I've seen some homework that I've asked myself "Why the heck would they teach it this way? It's explained poorly and it's busy-work!"

We were also shocked, after our experience in Missouri and Mississippi, that basically the kids are let out at the end of the school day with no order or process - IMHO, it would be a piece of cake for somebody to take a child.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:41 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,781,883 times
Here your teaching job will be less stressful no FCAT to teach too.

I don't think CCSD is doing much hiring now. I do know the there are pending teacher and administrator layoffs pending in Broward.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:55 AM

293 posts, read 641,404 times
The CCSD is hiring, especially if you are in math, science or spec ed. They usually lose several hundred teachers every year anyways becasue they hire a lot from job fairs in the midwest and young teachers will take the job thinkng that Vegas is the palce to be. Then they get there and realize that they cannot afford to live without a second income, so they leave. The CCSD is not sure on a lay-off number yet. There have been at least 6 new hires on the teachers forum and my wife and myself have had calls about coming to the area to teach. We are going back no matter if we take the teaching job now ar wait for everything to come back to normal levels, which it will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas