Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 06:16 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamDeleted View Post
LOL! I thought NJ was bad, but Vegas was ten times worse!!
It's ten times worse than New Jersey because everyone and his brother in New Jersey is moving here.

There's no such thing as a "seasonal" ID. There's just a state issued ID or a Driver License for residents, and if you have a DL from another state you can't have both states' IDs.

Usually Wednesdays are the best times at any state offices. People who didn't make the Friday deadlines, for whatever, crowd state offices (and phone lines too, for you folks filing for unemployment) on Mondays, and it carries over through Tuesday. Then there are those who wait until the last day to do anything, so Fridays are busy.

I've always found the DMV office on W. Flamingo to be pretty efficient, but you'll always have to do some waiting wherever you go.

And before anyone rags on the DMV workers, every time I've been there over the last many, many years, I've always been pleasantly surprised at how friendly they were to me. It's not their fault that so many people move here, and legislators don't provide funds for enough help. But they are pretty efficient, so they move people in and out fairly fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 10:17 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,047,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
There's no such thing as a "seasonal" ID. There's just a state issued ID or a Driver License for residents, and if you have a DL from another state you can't have both states' IDs.
I'm curious as to why the DMV mentions a "Seasonal Resident ID" when they describe the "INSTRUCTION PERMIT OR SEASONAL RESIDENT ID
2010 to Present"

"Instruction Permits and Seasonal Resident Identification Cards marked "NOT FOR OFFICIAL FEDERAL PURPOSES" were issued beginning in January 2010. This is part of the Advanced Secure Issuance program."

...but they don't mention it anywhere else on their website that I can find. I found it on this page:

Nevada Driver License Designs

OP, if you have other business in either Mesquite, Laughlin, or Pahrump, their DMV offices are genearlly far less crowded than the ones in metropolitan LV. I've used each of those three offices for various things and the wait was minimal. There can be short waits at times at those offices but nowhere near the ones in LV. And as the DMV recommends: "If possible, come to the DMV in mid-morning or early afternoon weekdays to minimize your wait. Offices are usually slow the day before a holiday and busy the day after."

Last edited by scirocco22; 03-08-2010 at 10:33 PM..

Old 03-08-2010, 10:18 PM

430 posts, read 1,312,258 times
Default First in or Last in strategy

Been to the DMV on Decatur and Elkhorn twice in the 7 months I have lived here.

I wanted to retain my official residence as Arizona, but in order to get a Nevada ID to enjoy the local discounts for Cirque shows, etc..., I had to surrender my AZ Drivers License. DMV wouldn't allow me to just get a Nevada ID. Bummer.

Anywho, first time I went it was a Wednesday, 2nd week of the month. I arrived at 2:30 PM. Got done at 5 PM. Thing I noticed was that around 4 PM, the numbers were called faster and the line for a driver license photo moved faster. Seems things move real fast at the end of the day because everyone wants to go home. You will get a number and be waited on as long as you are in the door before closing time. So the next time I went it was a Thursday, 3rd week of the month, at 4:45 PM. I was done at 6 PM.

My suggestion, be first in OR last in. Anywhere in between and you need to allow close to 3 hours of your time.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:30 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruready1st View Post
Been to the DMV on Decatur and Elkhorn twice in the 7 months I have lived here.

I wanted to retain my official residence as Arizona, but in order to get a Nevada ID to enjoy the local discounts for Cirque shows, etc..., I had to surrender my AZ Drivers License. DMV wouldn't allow me to just get a Nevada ID. Bummer.

Anywho, first time I went it was a Wednesday, 2nd week of the month. I arrived at 2:30 PM. Got done at 5 PM. Thing I noticed was that around 4 PM, the numbers were called faster and the line for a driver license photo moved faster. Seems things move real fast at the end of the day because everyone wants to go home. You will get a number and be waited on as long as you are in the door before closing time. So the next time I went it was a Thursday, 3rd week of the month, at 4:45 PM. I was done at 6 PM.

My suggestion, be first in OR last in. Anywhere in between and you need to allow close to 3 hours of your time.
I am not 100% positive this will work for you, but it did for me. I am also from Arizona and still have a valid Arizona DL. When I went to get my Nevada DL in March of 2007, I surrendered my Arizona DL. However, I got a couple of duplicates first here:

https://servicearizona.com/webapp/dr...o?popularclick

They are only $4 for a duplicate. When I got my Nevada DL I gave them my Arizona DL. However, they do not notify Arizona and or cancel them. I just checked again and my AZ license is still valid. My Arizona license will not expire until 2040 so I am good to go if I ever move back.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:46 PM

LVD, I wonder if those duplicates will be valid if a LEO checks them out as you supposedly can't officially have a drivers license in more than one state. If a LEO checks to see if the AZ license is valid, I'm thinking that it will come back as not valid.

And 2040??? Arizona allows that long before you have to renew?

Old 03-08-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
LVD, I wonder if those duplicates will be valid if a LEO checks them out as you supposedly can't officially have a drivers license in more than one state. If a LEO checks to see if the AZ license is valid, I'm thinking that it will come back as not valid.

What is a LEO?

Old 03-08-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
What is a LEO?
Law Enforcement Officer

Old 03-09-2010, 12:01 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Quote:
I'm curious as to why the DMV mentions a "Seasonal Resident ID" when they describe the "INSTRUCTION PERMIT OR SEASONAL RESIDENT ID
2010 to Present"

"Instruction Permits and Seasonal Resident Identification Cards marked "NOT FOR OFFICIAL FEDERAL PURPOSES" were issued beginning in January 2010. This is part of the Advanced Secure Issuance program."

...but they don't mention it anywhere else on their website that I can find. I found it on this page:

Nevada Driver License Designs

OP, if you have other business in either Mesquite, Laughlin, or Pahrump, their DMV offices are generally far less crowded than the ones in metropolitan LV. I've used each of those three offices for various things and the wait was minimal. There can be short waits at times at those offices but nowhere near the ones in LV. And as the DMV recommends: "If possible, come to the DMV in mid-morning or early afternoon weekdays to minimize your wait. Offices are usually slow the day before a holiday and busy the day after."

Well, perhaps I'm wrong. It's just that I never have been except that time I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken. But, I'm only partly wrong if I read this correctly. The Seasonal designation seems to have gone bye bye on May 11, 2008...I think. States' rights are being chipped away by the Feds it seems.

NRS 481.052 Powers and duties of Director: Adoption of definition of “seasonal resident” by regulation. [Effective until the effective date of the regulations issued by the Secretary of Homeland Security to implement the provisions of the Real ID Act of 2005, or until the date of expiration of any extension of time granted to this State by the Secretary of Homeland Security to comply with the provisions of the Real ID Act of 2005, or until May 11, 2008, whichever is later.] The Director shall, by regulation, define “seasonal resident” as the term is used in chapters 482 and 483 of NRS.

(Added to NRS by 1997, 2987)

NRS 483.820 Persons entitled to card; fees.

1. A person who applies for an identification card in accordance with the provisions of NRS 483.810 to 483.890, inclusive, and who is not ineligible to receive an identification card pursuant to NRS 483.861, is entitled to receive an identification card if he is:

(a) A resident of this State and is 10 years of age or older and does not hold a valid driver’s license or identification card from any state or jurisdiction; or

(b) A seasonal resident who does not hold a valid Nevada driver’s license.

2. Except as otherwise provided in NRS 483.825, the Department shall charge and collect the following fees for the issuance of an original, duplicate or changed identification card:

An original or duplicate identification card issued to a person 65 years of age or older $4

An original or duplicate identification card issued to a person under 18 years of age 3

A renewal of an identification card for a person under 18 years of age........... 3

An original or duplicate identification card issued to any other person............ 9

A renewal of an identification card for any person at least 18 years of age, but less than 65 years of age 9

A new photograph or change of name, or both.............................................. ....... 4

3. The Department shall not charge a fee for:

(a) An identification card issued to a person who has voluntarily surrendered his driver’s license pursuant to NRS 483.420; or

(b) A renewal of an identification card for a person 65 years of age or older.

4. Except as otherwise provided in NRS 483.825, the increase in fees authorized in NRS 483.347 must be paid in addition to the fees charged pursuant to this section.

5. As used in this section, “photograph” has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 483.125.

(Added to NRS by 1975, 785; A 1979, 301; 1985, 1942; 1991, 1909; 1997, 1385, 2988; 1999, 437, 1110; 2001, 2826; 2003, 1239; 2005, 1218, 2888)

Old 03-09-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:

I do not use my Arizona license here in Vegas, but I am positive it is still valid. I have even called Arizona DMV to make sure. Nevada never notified them. All they did was took my license and shredded it. As far as expiration dates, they are much longer there than here.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:20 AM

1,365 posts, read 4,471,419 times
AZ licenses are good until you are 65. Hated giving mine up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas