Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2007, 05:00 PM

60 posts, read 305,924 times

Advertisements

Hello all you Lasvegans out there! I'm looking to move to Las Vegas away from the despicable Antelope Valley in California. Having already squandered my family's best childhood years in the butthole of LA County, I'm really looking to do my homework this time around. Kids are now 18 and older, thankfully. What's to like/what's not to like about Las Vegas? Having also had my fill of meth labs and gangs, what areas should be avoided like the plague? I'd like to live somewhere relatively safe, not far from the Strip. TIA - Looking forward to replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 05:07 PM

13 posts, read 77,792 times
You will get all sorts of answers on this board. Not sure what your budget is, but IMO the best places to live that are relatively reasonably priced is the Summerlin area (northwest) and the Seven Hills area (south-southeast). Also, southwest is starting to develop (like Mountain's Edge off of Blue Diamond).

Stay away from central Vegas and north Vegas (although extreme north is starting to develop nicely), in addition, i lived in east Vegas and didn't really like it, although its probably more mediocre than horrible.

You are never that far from the strip in Vegas, as it pretty much cuts the city in half down the middle (more or less). So don't feel like you have to move right next to the strip to be 5 minutes away or something. It's probably only 20 minutes from the strip even if you go extreme east or west.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:07 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,687,180 times
I disagree, I lived in Seven Hills, and we didn't like it, not convenient to much, no services inside the actual community except for a restaurant at the golf course, too much traffic at the entrance plus a school zone...Also, a park bathroom at Seven Hills was shut down because of a meth lab...

Old 07-12-2007, 09:28 AM

60 posts, read 305,924 times
Default Tell me about Las Vegas!

How are the people in general? Friendly? Or mean and careless, as in the Antelope Valley? The biggest problem I have with living in the AV has always been the attitudes of the people who live here - bar none, the worst anywhere. A new co-worker echoed my sentiments at work this week when she said she had never lived in such a dog eat dog town. Of course, we have other issues here in the AV that go along with living in a desert outpost not least of which is the fact that the AV has become the low income dumping ground for LA county. The big project housing complexes in Watts? All have been demolished in order to build expensive housing for those that can afford it - they call that gentrification. What happened to the druggies and layabouts that lived in these projects prior to the demolition? They were all shunted up here to the AV. Put out the welcome mat. What are the good points of LV? What would you tell people moving there to look out for or avoid? TIA

Old 07-12-2007, 10:23 AM

I'm not sure what lvkewlkid is taking about nothing being in Seven Hills. How long has it been since you've lived there? It is right off Eastern, and you can't go a block on Eastern without running into some type of restaurant or commercially developed area...

As far as people in Vegas, they aren't outwardly one way or the other, at least not in my experience. It all depends on what circles you hang out with. For instance, people at the graduate school were very cool and tight knit, we would go out and have drinks at Crown & Anchor every weekend. But then again, that's a niche group. I'm not sure if you went to some community function and just randomly tried talking to someone what would happen...

On the road people are mean and careless, just like any large metro city, but you just have to get used to that (if you aren't already).

I would say, in general, if you had a spectrum where on one end you had absolutely horrible people, and on the other end you had tremendous, outgoing people, Vegas would probably be in the middle and maybe slightly into the friendly end.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:14 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,687,180 times
I'm not talking about outside of Seven Hills, I'm talking about within Seven Hills, they are finally building/built a shopping center with a 7-11, Starbucks, and Subway, but you still have to pass by that school zone that should've never been there...There were plans to build a shopping center by Palermo, but the residents fought it, so there's nothing like a supermarket or a bank within the community...

Old 07-12-2007, 02:02 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Vegas is a big southwestern city. They are all quite similar. To that add a bit of a libertarian overlay.

If you go ghetto to ghetto or upper class burb to upper class burb I don't think you will find any substantial difference between Phoenix, Tucson, Albequerque and Las Vegas.

People are the same anywhere. Middle class neighborhoods are often quite friendly. Rich neighborhoods and poor neighborhoods are not.

People in Las Vegas drive almost exactly like Southern Calfornia. Customs and informal rules are the same. Vegas has a higher proportion of blue collar young males with pickup trucks...that is about the only difference I see.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post

People in Las Vegas drive almost exactly like Southern Calfornia. Customs and informal rules are the same. Vegas has a higher proportion of blue collar young males with pickup trucks...that is about the only difference I see.
Thats funny and true, i had to laugh at that part. There are so many vehicles from SoCal in Vegas, and they all refuse to get Nevada plates. I was convinced they just wanted Vegas to be a part of SoCal so bad but couldn't have it, so they tried to have a piece of both...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: