U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-28-2010, 12:41 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,897,808 times
Default Rancho Question

I had a question on behalf of a friend of mine. His homeschooled child is very advanced academically and was intrigued by the fact that Rancho H.S. specifically offers classes he or she (I'm trying to preserve privacy) would want to take.

He was thinking of going through the bureaucratic nightmare of petitioning to have his child take those classes. The catch: He or she is younger than high school age. Rancho has a tough reputation. However, I know they've recently remodeled, have the magnets, et cetera, and I wasn't sure if it entirely deserves its reputation as a tough school. Therefore, I wasn't sure if I should advise pursuing the issue or leaving it alone. Obviously, the child's safety is paramount.
He'd be willing to accompany her to school and pick her up immediately after the class is over, but there are still other issues, clearly.

Thoughts? Olecapt?? Others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 12:51 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,356,396 times
A friend of mine used to teach at Rancho in the aviation program. He really liked it and didn't have any problems. It might work out okay for your friend.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:32 AM

Has the atmosphere there gotten better since the remodeling??

Old 03-29-2010, 07:25 AM

1,536 posts, read 2,240,604 times
Correct me if I am wrong, but at one time Rancho high school is the only high school in the nation where a 15 yr old can learn to fly a plane and get his or her pilot license, as well as take class's to become airport controllers when they graduate high school.

There are good kids that go to that school and like every school you will have bad apples.
As a parent you have to be involved with your kids no matter where they go so if a problem comes up you can nip it in the bud.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 license to sell View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but at one time Rancho high school is the only high school in the nation where a 15 yr old can learn to fly a plane and get his or her pilot license, as well as take class's to become airport controllers when they graduate high school.

There are good kids that go to that school and like every school you will have bad apples.
As a parent you have to be involved with your kids no matter where they go so if a problem comes up you can nip it in the bud.
I believe you're correct. Yes, there are good kids and bad kids, and of course you have to nip issues in the bud anywhere -- but at places like Green Valley High School, this effort might be easier than at, say, a high school with a strong gang presence.

TBH, I know almost zilch about Rancho other than the fact that it looks very much like Meadows Mall now that it's been fixed -- and that's overall a good thing -- but appearances can deceive. I was hoping for some "boots on the ground" inside information, particularly since the would-be student is younger than traditional HS age. Has anyone's child gone to Rancho?? Anyone teach there??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas