U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-12-2010, 09:34 PM

317 posts, read 596,511 times

Advertisements

I think its will be nice to have a pool but what should be done to keep its clean ?

and what is average monthly cost of pool maintenance & water bill ?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 10:10 PM

15,756 posts, read 21,039,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natali :) View Post
I think its will be nice to have a pool but what should be done to keep its clean ?

Reasonable sized pool professional maintained will run about $100 a month.

Water cost is not much $10 or $15 or so.

Electric may run $30 to $50 per month.

Lots of variables. I do my own but have an electrically driven cover. That cuts my cost to less than $25 per month...but I have to replace the cover every 4 or 5 years at a cost of $2,000. No free lunches.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:41 PM

Electric ($30-$50) - is it only for electrically driven cover or for something else ?

"Water cost is not much $10 or $15" - its looks to me to low -
how many time do you need to replace the water ? or its stay clean because
of this electrically driven cover ?

Old 04-12-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Electric ($30-$50) - is it only for electrically driven cover or for something else ?

"Water cost is not much $10 or $15" - its looks to me to low -
how many time do you need to replace the water ? or its stay clean because
of this electrically driven cover ?
The systems use pumps to recirculate the water through filters. The electric cost is that of running the pump. Water is changed very rarely...yearly or less.

Covers block sunlight and reduce chemical usage and water loss. They also cost and can be difficult if not permamently installed.

The pool guy uses chemicals to maintain an appropriate environment for swimming that is resistant to algae and other biologicals.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:02 AM

@olecapt

Thanks !

about this electrically driven cover- $2000 for replacement in 4-5 years looks reasonable
but what is cost for initial installation can be ?

Old 04-13-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Reasonable sized pool professional maintained will run about $100 a month.
What is including ?

Thanks !

Old 04-13-2010, 09:48 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,613,467 times
Quote:
What is including ?

Thanks !
That usually includes skimming the pool weekly, cleaning the skimmer basket, and adjusting the chemicals as needed. It usually includes the cost of the chemicals as well. They'll usually also vacuum the pool if it is needed.

It may or may not include cleaning the filters, cleaning the tiles, etc.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:56 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,613,467 times
Quote:

I agree the water cost isn't much, $10 a month or less and if you have a good cover, even less.

Electricity cost can be a lot. I have a single speed 1.5hp pool pump and it seems to cost around $60-$80 a month to run. Nowadays when the pumps break, people are often replacing them with variable speed pumps that use a lot less electricity. The pump costs more, but it costs less to run. My single speed pump isn't dead yet, but when it does I definitely will be replacing it with a variable speed pump. I believe my cost to run a variable speed pump will be $25-$35 a month.

The bigger cost that I see that nobody ever considers is the cost of redoing pool decking, pool plaster, and pool tile. This may only be every 15 years or so, but I had to replace the pool tile and plaster a couple years ago and it was around $9500. I still have to redo the pool decking which is going to be around $6000. Even if it is every 15 years, that's a lot of money.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:18 AM

613 posts, read 816,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
Electricity cost can be a lot. I have a single speed 1.5hp pool pump and it seems to cost around $60-$80 a month to run. Nowadays when the pumps break, people are often replacing them with variable speed pumps that use a lot less electricity. The pump costs more, but it costs less to run. My single speed pump isn't dead yet, but when it does I definitely will be replacing it with a variable speed pump. I believe my cost to run a variable speed pump will be $25-$35 a month.
I just completed building my pool. One of the options was a single speed pump vs a variable speed. I was always leaning towards the variable speed, but this video convinced me the variable speed was the only way to go.

YouTube - Intelliflo variable speed pool pump efficiency test

Old 04-13-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
That usually includes skimming the pool weekly, cleaning the skimmer basket, and adjusting the chemicals as needed. It usually includes the cost of the chemicals as well. They'll usually also vacuum the pool if it is needed.

It may or may not include cleaning the filters, cleaning the tiles, etc.
I would expect that cleaning the filters are part of the deal...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas