U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 02:13 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,564,404 times

Advertisements

Myself, wife and 2 kids(4 & 8) are considering moving to the Las Vegas area and would like to hear the positive things about raising a family in the area. I see alot of negative on this board.
We would be moving from Kansas City. Basically we are tired of the cold in the winter and the humidity in the summer. But the main reasons a move would work for us right now is that we don't need jobs(both of our (longtime)employers will allow us to work from home) and the amazingly low prices on homes in the area. We also love the mountains as we previously lived in the Denver area.

So let me hear the good things about the area. There has to be some.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 02:23 PM

1,479 posts, read 4,191,177 times
No tornadoes. Whatever you are into good or bad you can find here. You name it and I bet you can find it here. Some great magnet school programs...

Old 04-17-2010, 02:46 PM

8,437 posts, read 12,217,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChalk528808 View Post
I see alot of negative on this board.

So let me hear the good things about the area. There has to be some.
Thanks in advance.
Well, if you've read the negatives you've also already read the positives as well. Here is a similar question to yours that resulted in the following multi-page thread listing all the positives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich3444 View Post
Could some locals or ex-locals tell me all the "GOOD" Las Vegas has to offer a young family...I'M ALL EARS!!!
Tell Me The Good About Las Vegas

Old 04-17-2010, 03:51 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,564,404 times
Thanks MadMan...just what I'm looking for.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:52 PM

1,479 posts, read 4,191,177 times
...adult kick ball leagues...

Kickball and kegs: Game graduates grade school - Saturday, April 17, 2010 | 2:01 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun

Old 04-17-2010, 04:18 PM

309 posts, read 971,540 times
Summer is only really hell for 3-4 weeks. Some years more, some less.

Winter is about 1-2 weeks.

Houses are cheap, but I still think they are still over priced. I have no data to back that up, just a gut feeling.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:33 PM

177 posts, read 321,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV702 View Post

Houses are cheap, but I still think they are still over priced. I have no data to back that up, just a gut feeling.
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeqrguz/housingbubble/las_vegas.png (broken link)

Look at the red line (inflation-adjusted prices). Even 1987 prices were higher than today's prices. Still overpriced?

Old 04-17-2010, 04:53 PM

309 posts, read 971,540 times
I think they're near bottom, but not quite yet. Have to wait for the banks to start selling inventory.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:18 PM

12,686 posts, read 32,314,499 times
These threads drive me crazy. Here's a question for the OP. Are you challenging us to talk you into to moving here, or do you sincerely want to hear that you are making the right decision? Because here is all you need to know ...there is no better place to live ...none.

We have had 1½ million new people move here, uninvited I might add, between roughly 1987 and about 2006. ...actually a little less time than that. I don't think any other city has had that problem. Those million and a half people moved here in less than 20 years because this is really the best part of our country, and they realized it.

The whole country was screwed by the banking industry and the politicians that they have in their pockets, so right now people are suddenly caught upside down in their homes, and there is a lot of unemployment. That's why you hear that the price of homes is cheap. It's really not a good thing. But people are still moving to Las Vegas. We don't have numbers on it, but probably "in droves" would still be accurate.

For my own part, after I came here in 1964 I wanted to close the door behind me like most people do, but I do realize the hypocrisy of that and try to fight the urge to tell people not to come. But the point is, we don't need to talk you into it, because as an individual family, we don't need you. So come or don't come. Like Lilly Tomlin's phone company slogan said: "We don't care. We don't have to."

However, I'm sure you're very nice, so if you do decide to come, we will welcome you, and you will never regret the decision ...at least not once you get over the cultural and geographical shock which could take anywhere from a couple of months to a year or two.

Nevada is not like moving from New York to Pennsylvania. It is like moving from the U.S. to a nicer country. I felt I was home the day I drove up because there is actually a palpable sensation that you feel when you arrive the first day or two. But it was at least two years before I felt like I was a Nevadan because that takes some learning of a brand new culture you won't be used to, and it takes a lot of accepting when it comes to attitude adjustment and change. My first wife turned around after three months and went back home to West Virginia only to learn that, no, you can't keep 'em down on the farm after they've seen (not only) Paree, but Vegas. She soon returned and lived here the rest of her life, and you couldn't have pried her out of this town with a crowbar.

Good luck in your decision.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:20 PM

1,379 posts, read 2,883,127 times
Boy, that was really well said Buzz. I too feel the same way about the city. But I have to say, as far as housing costs, my son was transferred to Kansas City and I cannot believe how reasonably priced your housing is. We began checking things out in detail back around 1992 and housing prices in LV were really very affordable then. The houses in the neighborhoods we were interested in were in the high 200's then. Eventually those same houses in the same neighborhoods jumped into the 400's and even though there has now been a tremendous downturn, they still are not back in the high 200's. All this while, we were going back and forth between K.C. and noticing even more house could be purchased there for less money. I think you are going to find when you get out to LV., your money still will not buy you as much as you are accustomed to where you are now. It is the same for where I come from in Ohio. But that being said, if a better life and a lower cost of living is of more value to you that what you get for the money in a house, than Las Vegas is for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or