Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 10:59 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,038,509 times

Advertisements

For homeowners that have the aptitude to perform their own outside HVAC condenser unit preventative maintenance (beyond just flushing the coils), there are numerous YouTube videos that show guidelines on how to replace the contactor relay, fan motor, and capacitor. Definitely not a matter of IF these components will fail . . but WHEN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 11:13 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
doors n windows open at night.....button up the house during the day time and you wont need AC till the temp goes OVER 105....then we turn it on for about an hour in the evening to bring the temp down a bit if it was REALLY hot out.
It's working that way for me in Phx right now... house cools off at night with windows open; ceiling fans on in used rooms, too. Highs in low 90s in Phx right now, will be 100s again later this week. We've already had a couple of 105s the week before.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:31 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,195 times
What is the suggested preventative maintenance for the condenser besides hosing down the coils? The HVAC guy who does the maintenance, it seems that's about all he does. He hoses down the coils and then tells me I need to clean my ducts, install a HVAC surge protector, and a whole house air filter (and they're all on special right now :/).

Seriously though, is there more to do? I thought most of the motors and bearings were sealed on newer units, so they don't need lubing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
For homeowners that have the aptitude to perform their own outside HVAC condenser unit preventative maintenance (beyond just flushing the coils), there are numerous YouTube videos that show guidelines on how to replace the contactor relay, fan motor, and capacitor. Definitely not a matter of IF these components will fail . . but WHEN.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:02 PM

Just wondering if anyone has taken advantage of the NV Energy rebate towards getting a "Western States Cooling Controller" installed on their AC system? They claim it saves energy by leaving the blower motor on for a period of time after the compressor has shut down (while the evaporator coil is still cold), thus extracting additional cooling from the evap coil without the compressor motor running. ?

Old 05-01-2012, 03:04 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
Just wondering if anyone has taken advantage of the NV Energy rebate towards getting a "Western States Cooling Controller" installed on their AC system? They claim it saves energy by leaving the blower motor on for a period of time after the compressor has shut down (while the evaporator coil is still cold), thus extracting additional cooling from the evap coil without the compressor motor running. ?
No, but I certainly will do this right the hell now if it's still available.

EDIT -- Still available. Just made an appointment to have two of them installed. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited by ScoopLV; 05-01-2012 at 03:13 PM..

Old 05-01-2012, 03:14 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Well my bill today is $65 for a small little studio apartment. Last years May bill was $36 at my old apartment.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:27 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,313,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Well my bill today is $65 for a small little studio apartment. Last years May bill was $36 at my old apartment.
$73 or 518 kWh this May bill, 4k sq ft house. Last year I only used 343 kWh (about $50), or 33% less. The biggest differences this year are:
  1. Running a computer as a media server 24/7.
  2. Running a refrigerated soda fountain 24/7.
I could replace the server with a NAS that would use less electricity, but I need it to run PS3 Media Server to transcode my video...NAS won't do that. I had the same media server last year, but only ran it while watching movies, I'll probably revert to this behavior and see how next month pans out. I believe the server was accountable for 95% of my increased usage.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:36 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
$73 or 518 kWh this May bill, 4k sq ft house. Last year I only used 343 kWh (about $50), or 33% less. The biggest differences this year are:
  1. Running a computer as a media server 24/7.
  2. Running a refrigerated soda fountain 24/7.
I could replace the server with a NAS that would use less electricity, but I need it to run PS3 Media Server to transcode my video...NAS won't do that. I had the same media server last year, but only ran it while watching movies, I'll probably revert to this behavior and see how next month pans out. I believe the server was accountable for 95% of my increased usage.
Your house is exactly ten times the size of my place, yet your electric bill is the same as mine. I have figured out what the problem is. The AC was built in 1989, and it uses r22. It is a severe energy hog. My last place had a brand new AC unit, and my bills were much lower even though both apartments are the same size. I am starting to regret moving here, not because I do not like the place, but because I cannot afford it. I did not account for my electric bill to skyrocket.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:17 PM

Since you already checked, does the rebate cover the full cost or what do you have to come out of pocket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
No, but I certainly will do this right the hell now if it's still available.

EDIT -- Still available. Just made an appointment to have two of them installed. Thanks for the tip!

Old 05-01-2012, 04:45 PM

499 posts, read 1,059,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
What is the suggested preventative maintenance for the condenser besides hosing down the coils? The HVAC guy who does the maintenance, it seems that's about all he does. He hoses down the coils and then tells me I need to clean my ducts, install a HVAC surge protector, and a whole house air filter (and they're all on special right now :/).

Seriously though, is there more to do? I thought most of the motors and bearings were sealed on newer units, so they don't need lubing.
Make sure the outdoor unit(condenser) coil and fan is clean and no debris stuck inside. Airflow is critical for ac efficiency and cooling. Also, I would check and replace your return air filters inside your house. Your filters should be replaced every month. Many people forget to do these simple tasks to keep your ac unit running efficiently, thereby saving electricity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: