Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 12:15 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,825,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I am not the HOA, and have no say on what they do. I rent rooms from people and some have one, and others don't. I recently got harassed about my car leaking oil. I am almost to the point to where I will not move in with anyone that has an HOA.
... and, you probably shouldn't ... solving the 'problem' of HOA's for you, and, at the same time, providing the 'advantage' of HOA's for others, who do not want to deal with your leaky oil, destructive pets, refusal to paint and maintain your property, etc. .... that effect their home values, privacy and right to not put-up with 'nuisance' neighbors. (not talking about 'you' personally, but only to get the point across).

Old 01-16-2011, 12:44 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
I think that's kind of the whole point. You're having to ask permission on what you can and can't do on your own property. Where is the line drawn? I think that is the problem with HOA's. There are systems of control everywhere you go. It's just now they have finally figured out how to control people in their own homes by tricking people into thinking they are helping them. Sure, they can tell your neighbor to clean up his yard here and there and boost your property values but don't be fooled. It's all about control.
+1...I could not have said it better.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:47 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
... and, you probably shouldn't ... solving the 'problem' of HOA's for you, and, at the same time, providing the 'advantage' of HOA's for others, who do not want to deal with your leaky oil, destructive pets, refusal to paint and maintain your property, etc. .... that effect their home values, privacy and right to not put-up with 'nuisance' neighbors. (not talking about 'you' personally, but only to get the point across).
I have no choice with only having a minimum wage job. If I could afford it, I would buy a small house in a neighborhood without an HOA.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:30 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
Quote:
I think that's kind of the whole point. You're having to ask permission on what you can and can't do on your own property. Where is the line drawn? I think that is the problem with HOA's. There are systems of control everywhere you go. It's just now they have finally figured out how to control people in their own homes by tricking people into thinking they are helping them. Sure, they can tell your neighbor to clean up his yard here and there and boost your property values but don't be fooled. It's all about control.
Doubt it. The biggest problem in many, if not most, HOAs is getting anyone to serve on the board. That is one of the reasons you get some of these weird boards...many people refuse to serve.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:41 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,243,243 times
HOA's can be beneficial in that they do encourage civic-mindedness when you share close quarters with your neighbors, who may plant trees with invasive root systems, create eye sores, etc. The control that an HOA has is limited in scope.

I understand and can see eye to eye with anyone who believes it is a slippery slope to concede control to a quasi-governmental institution, but again, they are voluntary. The idea is that, collectively, everyone agrees to abide by the rules.

The good news? There is a choice...albeit less and less it seems.

HOA's are like people. There are good and bad. It is silly to judge all HOA's based on the actions of a few rogue boards.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:23 PM

848 posts, read 1,723,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Yes in desert places like AZ even the HOA's they want the homeowners to plant Drought Tolerant Plants/Trees and I suppose some would view that as telling them what to plant.
Plain common sense to utilize what is the best suitable landscaping for your area. Great thing about my plants and trees, it blends well with the neighborhood landscaping. My side yard is larger than most front yard in single detached homes and I took it over, HOA did not say one word with me. As a matter of fact my neighbors appreciated all the work I put in and at the same time I get the satisfaction of having a nice yard under my control.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:58 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,312,651 times
Quote:
It's as simple as this: if you feel that way, live in a community that doesn't have an HOA.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:31 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
It's as simple as this: if you feel that way, live in a community that doesn't have an HOA.
And I certainly won't. There are already enough cattle being herded around in communities with identical houses, cars, people and yards. I agree at the core it's completely voluntary to move into a HOA neighborhood. However, I get the sense that there are more than a handful of people who do read the HOA guidelines only to find out that the HOA's operate in a less than respectful/legal/relevant to the guidelines manner once they move in. Otherwise it's the owners own stupidity for buying into something that doesn't align with their values.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:45 AM

848 posts, read 1,723,897 times
^^^I see HOA as a way of keeping people in check especially renters (NOT ALL but I've dealt with them in the past and I'm dealing with them now) whom do not care at all if the community goes to hell, HOA communities is not for everyone. The biggest complainers out there are the ones who do not follow the association guidelines. HOAs keep communities organized and I prefer to reside in an orderly community where homeowners value their quality of life.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:22 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,441,574 times
Quote:
And I certainly won't. There are already enough cattle being herded around in communities with identical houses, cars, people and yards. I agree at the core it's completely voluntary to move into a HOA neighborhood. However, I get the sense that there are more than a handful of people who do read the HOA guidelines only to find out that the HOA's operate in a less than respectful/legal/relevant to the guidelines manner once they move in. Otherwise it's the owners own stupidity for buying into something that doesn't align with their values.
Not all HOA are militant and out of control. If this is a concern talk to some homeowners in the subdivision.
To those of you who are all of a sudden having issues with violations go to the head person and voice your concern. I had this happen after living in a sub for a number of years and we all of a sudden became a target
and all of a sudden she was tagging me for get this bikes in my front yard yes, kids bikes and the movable basketball hoop she wanted it put away in the fall my kids used in even on winter days that were nice I told her I would not put it away and to just keep tagging me and the bikes I refused as well I was the mom that was home and all the kids came to my house so I could have a bunch of bikes in my front yard at any given time. Then she was after my trash cans. I finally got tired of it and talked to the head person she agreed that she was harassing me and dealt with her. The best one was the mailbox that we purchased with the house never changed it after we had lived in the house for 4 years she told us it was in violation and had to be changed and we should not have put up the one that was there because we had to get them from the HOA It was a black Rubbermaid not black metal. needless to say it stayed I believe she was demoted!
I might also note that just about everyone in the sub had a basketball hoop and they were not tagged about it being out! Nor was anyone else about trash cans on the side of their garage which is where the old owners had theirs too same spot they lived in the house for a number of years. Which you could not even see from the main road but has to come into our cul de sac and they were visible when right in front of the house not from any other angle! She was a idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: