Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 04:06 PM

4 posts, read 6,992 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of buying an investment property here. Have considered Newport Lofts because it aesthetically appeals to me (as opposed to newer homes in Henderson, for example) and it seems that the Smith Center project could mean an "enlivening" of the downtown area. BUT... I'm open to suggestions. I'll be here a while since I bought my home here in 2006 and the value is... well... you know that story.

Anyway, thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 04:23 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Put $100,000 on banker in Baccarat. If you win, you get a 95% return in minutes.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:34 PM

402 posts, read 1,527,812 times
$300 plane ticket
$9700 anywhere else.

Kidding aside, I just don't see these kind of places as good rentals. The vacation crowd is most likely gonna want to stay on the strip, and unless someone really wants to be downtown, they can just as likely rent a house for less than what you could rent a place there. Id buy a single family home to rent out.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:41 PM

4 posts, read 6,992 times
Noted. How about thoughts on the "vintage" type homes in the 89121 area. Sunrise Villas? Or a condo at Laguna Palms on E. Flamingo? I don't have experience as a landlord, but I'd like to learn. It seems like it would be a lot easier as a first time landlord to avoid having to deal with landscape maintenance.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:46 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,950,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplefresh View Post
I'm thinking of buying an investment property here. Have considered Newport Lofts because it aesthetically appeals to me (as opposed to newer homes in Henderson, for example) and it seems that the Smith Center project could mean an "enlivening" of the downtown area. BUT... I'm open to suggestions. I'll be here a while since I bought my home here in 2006 and the value is... well... you know that story.

Anyway, thoughts?
One thing when you purchase a property in a highrise like Newporty lofts is that the HOA's are high and the HOA's are usually included in the rent. Rentors don't pay the HOA's. Also in Newport lofts there have been proffessionals that rent in there due to it's location, Young attorney's and some of the employee's will rent in there. Don't expect to get a high rent in there since your HOA will be a good portion of the monthly rent.

Downtown isn't expected to turn around for at least 10 yrs the strip some analysts say 5 yrs or even longer and if that's the case it could take down town even longer than 10 yrs to turn around.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:19 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
eight the hard way money Plays.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:23 PM

968 posts, read 2,061,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 license to sell View Post
One thing when you purchase a property in a highrise like Newporty lofts is that the HOA's are high and the HOA's are usually included in the rent. Rentors don't pay the HOA's. Also in Newport lofts there have been proffessionals that rent in there due to it's location, Young attorney's and some of the employee's will rent in there. Don't expect to get a high rent in there since your HOA will be a good portion of the monthly rent.

Downtown isn't expected to turn around for at least 10 yrs the strip some analysts say 5 yrs or even longer and if that's the case it could take down town even longer than 10 yrs to turn around.
Agree with above.
The flip side is that there are a number of owners and renters who are active participants in the Art's District which seems to be having increasing vitality. This adds to the diversity of the complex.
The owner turnover is nearly complete. There a few more foreclosures to go but much less than before and the ownership is stabalizing.
The HOA seems financially sound. HOA fees are somewhat high but about the same or even less than other high rise condo's in town.
Basically, the Newport Lofts is very cool. Finding renters hasnt seemed to be a problem.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:22 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times
SF homes are better deals in quality areas in good locations, especially properties south/southeast of the airport. I've seen places close for low $100s which can rent for over $1000/month and don't stay vacant very long.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:06 PM

317 posts, read 1,003,011 times
good thread !

And what about a single family home to rent out ?

Last edited by Natali :); 04-25-2010 at 10:18 PM..

Old 04-25-2010, 10:08 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplefresh View Post

Anyway, thoughts?

Screw it. NICKEL SLOTS!!!!!! LOL. You won't win anything, but it will be fun for a couple of years. LOL

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas