Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,419 times

Advertisements

hi, we are moving to lv in mid may and are trying to find the safest most affordable area to live..and also must have a good school district. my husband found a lot of places in summerlin, but i heard mountains edge is the better area. how good is summerlin? and mainly where is the best area...we're looking at renting, preferably a house 3 or 4 bedrooms...thank-you! is it possible to find something and move in all in a week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 03:38 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
come look at the areas first!

Old 04-30-2010, 03:47 PM

504 posts, read 800,632 times
I would say Summerlin is much better than Mountain's Edge and with better schools. Sure ME is newer but home prices have fallen more than 50% in the last 2 years. Keep in mind there is only one school district in Las Vegas and Henderson. How old is your kid? NV schools are aweful and thats one of the reason I'm moving out of Vegas. My preschooler and kindergartner go to a private school, Challenger, close to Summerlin but I won't be able to afford it next year. Challenger is probably one of the best private school if not the best. My 4 yr old is already reading fluently.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:23 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,470,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
I would say Summerlin is much better than Mountain's Edge and with better schools. Sure ME is newer but home prices have fallen more than 50% in the last 2 years. Keep in mind there is only one school district in Las Vegas and Henderson. How old is your kid? NV schools are aweful and thats one of the reason I'm moving out of Vegas. My preschooler and kindergartner go to a private school, Challenger, close to Summerlin but I won't be able to afford it next year. Challenger is probably one of the best private school if not the best. My 4 yr old is already reading fluently.
I've always found that you can tell people till you're blue in the face about the Clark County School District and how bad it is rated....and most people don't care or it's not a big issue to them, they're moving here no matter what.

Education is education, your kid will learn their 123's and ABC's here, but don't expect Nevada to have the "best" schools and teachers. We've got some OK ones, but we as a state don't spend too much money on kids attending school or the tools they need to get a fantastic education. Basic yes, great and fantastic with all the bells and whistles...no.

My opinion is that I like Summerlin better. Mountains Edge is lovely, hit really hard with the foreclosures, but I do think that Summerlin is a bit nicer as far as the way it is laid out goes. But that's just my opinion.

You can't possibly plan a move here until you've visited first, how do you know what area (and it may not even be Summerlin or Mountains Edge) that you like best?

You just can't go by what you read on a public chat forum or pictures you see on the internet.

Last edited by MomMom; 04-30-2010 at 05:51 PM..

Old 04-30-2010, 06:04 PM

182 posts, read 246,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movesalot26 View Post
hi, we are moving to lv in mid may and are trying to find the safest most affordable area to live..and also must have a good school district. my husband found a lot of places in summerlin, but i heard mountains edge is the better area. how good is summerlin? and mainly where is the best area...we're looking at renting, preferably a house 3 or 4 bedrooms...thank-you! is it possible to find something and move in all in a week?
If comparing both areas you've mentioned, Summerlin no doubt is a better area in regards to your criteria. Goodluck with your choice.

Off and On the Vegas Strip

Old 04-30-2010, 06:15 PM

307 posts, read 1,097,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movesalot26 View Post
There is only one school district in the whole county. It is 120M short of making its budget at last look.

Unless you have a job lined up, Vegas is not the place to move to.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:55 PM

317 posts, read 1,003,011 times
Mountain's Edge - where is it ? what zip ?

Old 04-30-2010, 08:54 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Two words: Private School.

The single most important thing we as parents can do to affect our children's future is to choose the school they will attend. By choosing a school, we choose the population from which our children will select their friends and the kids they see as their peers.

By going private, you free yourself up to live in more places - perhaps places that are better for the family ($, commute, etc), and you just have to drive your kids to the private school.

Many private schools offer tuition assistance to families who cannot make ends meet.

Good luck

Old 04-30-2010, 11:56 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
what concerns me about the op's post is "cheap"...good education does not come cheap here and neither are the better areas.. if you have kids, and cannot afford a decent area or private school, i would look elsewhere.. but then again.. it is all in the parenting too.... don't count on these schools for that

Old 05-01-2010, 10:25 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
The only private school with a real claim to being better than the good schools in CCSD is Meadows Expensive and highly structured.

The parochial schools are also OK but no better than the upper 20% of CCSD.

For inexpensive housing with strong schools try 89143. You can also do pretty well in 89129 and Garhine Elementary School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: