Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 12:06 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Do the math. You're consuming an average of nearly four kilowatts an hour, every hour of the month. 4kW is what an electric oven consumes when the element is on, or a 3 ton AC unit, running constantly.
Just so we're clear this seems unusually high correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 12:10 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,722,430 times
There are so many variables involved that comparing to another household is like comparing apples to oranges. Besides better household energy management. You usually need to spend some bucks upgrading things like insulation and a more efficient AC.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:13 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
My worst bills were last summer. One over $500 and two over $400. And this is a 1500 sf older home.

Needless to say, the AC has been used a lot less since then. Haven't turned it on yet this year and the bills are right around $100. I am also in the process of adding a radiant barrier, more insulation. Insulating the whole garage, and replacing the windows and doors. I put up 3 more ceiling fans too.

I think the pool uses most of the $100 per month I am using now. I am checking into the possibility of windpower to operate the pool filter to save more. It's much cheaper than solar, lasts longer, and it's low maintenance. It MIGHT be doable because all I want to do is sell back to the power company to lower my bill. I'm not trying to go off the grid.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:14 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
You usually need to spend some bucks upgrading things like insulation and a more efficient AC.
The house was built in 2007.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:31 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,012 times
Quote:
There are so many variables involved that comparing to another household is like comparing apples to oranges. Besides better household energy management. You usually need to spend some bucks upgrading things like insulation and a more efficient AC.
He took A/C, and perhaps heating too out of the equation. So it's something else.

One of my officemates has a similar problem. Something in his house is sucking down an enormous amount of power (averaging $800+ with no AC or heating, and running pool pumps minimally) and he can't find it. He figured out which breaker the consumption is occurring on, but when he shuts it off, he can't figure out what what he just shut off. That much power has to be dissipating heat, so I'm thinking an infrared camera might help us find the culprit.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:51 PM

My electric bill was only $59 last month. Heat pumps did not run at all - I had thermostat set to 78F and to cool, so they never went on. Pool pump ran at low speed for eight hours a day every day. I have about 45 watts of CFL that run all night, and another 30 or so that run 24x7. Add to that a refrigerator, and all the parasitic consumption of computer equipment and TVs, plus a few days of cooking on an electric range, washer and dryer (gas dryer), and dishwasher.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:53 PM

901 posts, read 1,898,542 times
Quote:
One of my officemates has a similar problem. Something in his house is sucking down an enormous amount of power (averaging $800+ with no AC or heating, and running pool pumps minimally) and he can't find it. He figured out which breaker the consumption is occurring on, but when he shuts it off, he can't figure out what what he just shut off. That much power has to be dissipating heat, so I'm thinking an infrared camera might help us find the culprit.
That's weird. You would think something drawing that much power would eventually burn out or cause the CB to pop.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:05 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,722,430 times
Quote:
He took A/C, and perhaps heating too out of the equation. So it's something else.

They can not find the culprit. I am having a hard time believing that one or they are not trying hard enough.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:27 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
I tried explaining the baseline was too high but they countered with the fact that in the winter, with the heat, the bill was $475 and it was ONLY $375 last month...meter must be rigged.
My bill last month was $200.68 for a two-story, 2505 sq. ft. house with pool motor running 6hrs/day. No a/c use yet, but heat still clicked on at night.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
They can not find the culprit. I am having a hard time believing that one or they are not trying hard enough.
I haven't been over there to look for it myself. But I believe he is stating the facts. It's a huge, custom built home, and the original owner/builder (he was his own contractor) committed suicide after running out of money to finish it, so it's been a process of discovery to find out what exactly the house is equipped with. Other tradesmen have been out to trace all the pluming, electrical, etc. No joke, it could be something like an in-floor electric heating system in a hidden underground room we haven't found yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas