Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 12:21 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
It closed along time ago. Its now a Marshalls discount store.
Thats a shame....I saw Starwars there [first run]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 10:51 PM

848 posts, read 1,723,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I was stationed at Nellis AFB from 1983 through 1991 while in the US Air Force. I was a big movie buff and recall seeing a lot of flicks at the Redrock 11, Cinedomes (on Decatur), Century Desert 15 (on Lamb, I think), and the old Sunrise 7 which I think was on Nellis Blvd.

I think most, if not all, of these have since been closed/demolished. Can anyone confirm? I've since retired from the USAF and live in Arizona, but have lots of fond memories of Vegas in the 1980's.
I remember the Red Rock11 on West Charleston near Decatur, back in the late 80's it was still a popular place to watch movies. It has now been replaced by a new commercial center. Another large multi-plex that has since closed down was at Desert Inn and Pecos-Mcleod.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:56 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
not sure if its still there or not.....I don't get over to that neighborhood too often cause the bullet proofing on my truck wore off
Nope. Both theaters in that center have been gone for years. Went to the grand opening of the one where Marshall's is now. "Love Story" was playing. Jason's Deli and some other stores are where the second one was. For a long time it was a large bookstore.

Another theater we went to a lot was in the Charleston Plaza Mall, which had some of the stores indoors, plus it was a strip mall ...only we didn't call them "Strip Malls" in those days ...just shopping centers. I remember the manager of the theater was a nice man named Dick Goldsworthy, but I can't remember the name of the theater. Think it was the same name as a major movie distributor. He or his wife may have managed the mall too. Same mall where Jan Jone's grandfather's grocery store was. CRS is a terrible thing.

The Boulevard Mall is billed as the first indoor mall, but really it was Charleston Plaza Mall that was first ...or at least ½ of it was, unless you count the stores in the hotels..

The Fremont and El Portal theaters on Fremont St, and the Huntridge at Charleston and Maryland Pkwy were the most popular back in the day, but that goes back a long way. There was a drive-in on Boulder Highway too, about where the Boulder Station is now; and there was the Stardust Drive-in behind the Stardust Hotel; plus one on Craig Road just east of Durango except I don't think Durango went that far then so it was off Rancho.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:30 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,215,987 times
These used to be a theater on East Charleston, called the Fox Cinemas (?). Don't remember the cross street but I think it was near an old Montgomery Ward. I saw only one movie there in about 1985 ("Iron Eagle). Don't think it lasted too much beyond the mid-1980's.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:44 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Went to the grand opening of the one where Marshall's is now. "Love Story" was playing.
Where do I begin???

My God...you ARE old...older than the sea! ChickFlick alert.

Just curious...did you cry at the end?

Old 05-16-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
These used to be a theater on East Charleston, called the Fox Cinemas (?). Don't remember the cross street but I think it was near an old Montgomery Ward. I saw only one movie there in about 1985 ("Iron Eagle). Don't think it lasted too much beyond the mid-1980's.
Ah, ha. That was the one I was trying to think of at the Charleston Plaza Mall, Fox Cinema. That mall at E. Charleston and Bruce has been completely changed since then. I think it was completely torn down and rebuilt, but the sat map looks like they might have kept some of the old indoors part and built around it. It was at one time the premiere mall in town. They had added a building for Woolco on the north end too. I don't know what's in the old Woolco building now, but it's passed through a lot of changes.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:37 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,721,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Nope. Both theaters in that center have been gone for years. Went to the grand opening of the one where Marshall's is now. "Love Story" was playing. Jason's Deli and some other stores are where the second one was. For a long time it was a large bookstore.

Another theater we went to a lot was in the Charleston Plaza Mall, which had some of the stores indoors, plus it was a strip mall ...only we didn't call them "Strip Malls" in those days ...just shopping centers. I remember the manager of the theater was a nice man named Dick Goldsworthy, but I can't remember the name of the theater. Think it was the same name as a major movie distributor. He or his wife may have managed the mall too. Same mall where Jan Jone's grandfather's grocery store was. CRS is a terrible thing.

The Boulevard Mall is billed as the first indoor mall, but really it was Charleston Plaza Mall that was first ...or at least ½ of it was, unless you count the stores in the hotels..

The Fremont and El Portal theaters on Fremont St, and the Huntridge at Charleston and Maryland Pkwy were the most popular back in the day, but that goes back a long way. There was a drive-in on Boulder Highway too, about where the Boulder Station is now; and there was the Stardust Drive-in behind the Stardust Hotel; plus one on Craig Road just east of Durango except I don't think Durango went that far then so it was off Rancho.

I dont remember there ever being a Theater where Jason's Deli and Mens Wherehouse is. I remember the old buidling had a Borders bookstore then the building was emtpy for awhile untill it was tore down and rebuilt to what it is today.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:48 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
i think [and sometimes thats very dangerous] there is still one over on cheyenne or smoke ranch....

Googled it las vegas drivein 4150 w carey
thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-16-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
I don't remember there ever being a Theater where Jason's Deli and Mens Warehouse is. I remember the old building had a Borders bookstore then the building was empty for awhile until it was tore down and rebuilt to what it is today.
Before it was Bookstar(?) book store, it was a theater. There were actually two theaters in the same center. Don't ask me the theater's name. CRS ya know. Maybe Boulevard Theater???

Old 05-16-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Where do I begin???

My God...you ARE old...older than the sea! ChickFlick alert.

Just curious...did you cry at the end?
older than the trees,
Younger than the mountains, growing like a breeze.

Almost Heaven, West Virginia...

But young at heart. Still cute, and can still kick some a$$ ...don't forget it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas