Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 01:01 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,012 times

Advertisements

FWIW: In CA I take my cars to a place called "Wheel Works". I started going to them after they were the only shop that could properly align the Jeep Grand Cherokee that I had at the time. They typically do not replace brake pads. They normally just pull your entire caliper off and replace it with a rebuilt Bendix caliper that comes preloaded with brake pads. Cost is around $115 per corner installed. The cost savings in labor by not having to clean and inspect the old caliper and replace the pads makes up for a good chunk of the higher cost of the preloaded rebuilt caliper vs. pads only, and you know that you've got a factory inspected caliper with fresh seals every time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 03:04 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
I just had mine totally replaced on all the wheels, $738. Ouch!

Old 05-18-2010, 04:34 PM

307 posts, read 1,223,012 times
Pep Boys will do the job for ya

Old 05-18-2010, 08:05 PM

946 posts, read 2,604,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac88 View Post
Never go to a chain shop for brakes,they always condemn everything...Your better off at the dealer with trained techs instead kids out of high school that are paid $9 per hour working on the system that stops your vehicle...Dealer prices have dropped quite a bit from years ago when they were over priced and if you compare the factory parts they are much better then those aftermarket ones
that the chain shops use.
Good advice, as well as the person who noted that rotors are so cheap now that it can be cost effective to replace them. Ford, especially, has dropped their parts prices to a very competitive level with the aftermarket brands.

And to the poster who mentioned ceramics--I've had great luck with these pads, they don't produce dust (the biggest culprit of brake squeal) and they don't heat up/retain heat like other compounds, thus keeping your rotors cooler and helping your brakes last longer.

Brake chain stores advertise cheap prices and they have to pay the bills somehow--and its usually by condemning all parts and replacing them with the cheapest rebuilt components from China, which can often start leaking in a year.

For anyone interested, here's how the lifetime warranty works: when your brake pads wear out again, you'll have to agree to resurface the rotors (about 50$) and replace caliper hardware (GM caliper o-rings cost .99 and were retailed at 19.95 when I had my inside experience at one of these sweat shops) and anything else the brake shop determines you need, or you won't get the warranty. Rotors can only be resurfaced 2-4 times and then you need to buy new rotors. And the brake compound is usually organic and wears fast, so those cheap brakes will end up costing you as much or more than the better quality jobs done at independent shops.

I saw this on the wall of a machine shop a long time ago and it stuck with me--The Golden Rule.

A quick, cheap job won't be good.
A good, quick job won't be cheap,
And a cheap, good job won't be quick.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:31 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Here is his website.

Home Page
Does Carl accept credit cards?

Old 05-18-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac88 View Post
Never go to a chain shop for brakes,they always condemn everything...Your better off at the dealer with trained techs instead kids out of high school that are paid $9 per hour working on the system that stops your vehicle...Dealer prices have dropped quite a bit from years ago when they were over priced and if you compare the factory parts they are much better then those aftermarket ones
that the chain shops use.
That's exactly right. If you don't go to Carl, go someplace like Sears Auto Center.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
What kind of car?
If it's a Honda go to Wally's Honda. You see him on Pawn Stars all the time, and he's the best in town. Only works on Hondas though.

If it's a Toyota go to Wally's son across the street. Otherwise you're on your own.

I haven't been to Carl yet but probably will for my Saturn.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:30 PM

762 posts, read 1,562,049 times
went to 2 places to see about what I needed on my brakes. I knew I needed something. 1st place front and back whole thing out the door 500.00. 2nd place only back 380.00, Went to sears (tried to call teach 1st) 169.00 with resurfaced roters. WOOOO HOOOO
I am trying to reach Teach I have more work to do on my car.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:51 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
you still paid too much... sorry...

pads and resurface always under $100....

you should ALWAYS call Carl...

Old 09-23-2010, 03:48 PM

450 posts, read 1,514,273 times
I went to Just Brakes when it felt like my car was rolling over small hills every time I stopped at lights. They did a good job and I think the total was like $250.00 for all four brake pads, shoes, and rotation, but I was hesitant after hearing all the reviews. Now, that I know about Carl and his shop, I will call him in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas