Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 04:47 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,249 times

Advertisements

Hola-

moving to LV from LA...looking for good places to live that are dog friendly. i have two large dogs that are essentially off leash for most walks here (i live in a 'rural' part of LA...big arroyos and washes for them to play in). i was curious if any of the undeveloped park areas are cool w/ offleash dogs? specifically, the areas around desert breeze and sunset parks (i know both of these parks ahave designated dog parks, but my dogs like to run, and fenced areas kinda prohibit that). i have been to the horseman & dog fancier park on e. flamingo, but despite its size, it is still a fenced park.

another potential place i have seen is the duck creek trail area. info online states leashed dogs only. anyone know how firm the leash laws are here?

any neighborhoods that might be more dog friendly?

thanks for any info/help/advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 05:01 PM

229 posts, read 814,446 times
From my experience you can let your dog of its leash in any park you want, but be careful. I tend to take my dog to the parks in the afternoon when no on is around. I like to also let my dog get out and run awhile. However, many times, I will find someone somewhere who feels compelled to yell out to me that my dog needs to be on a leash. She's just a mutt who could care less about anyone or anything, but there are always plenty of people who are more concerned with your affairs than their own. Like I said though, I have better luck in the afternoons at the parks (on weekdays of course). I usually have my leash in hand and when I hear them yell, I wave, mutter some choice words, and put my dog on its leash so I can avoid them completely irritating me. I don't know where else you can go though. I don't like to let my dog loose in desert areas because people typically see these areas as trash cans, or good places for your pet or yourself to step on something sharp.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:24 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
Hola-

moving to LV from LA...looking for good places to live that are dog friendly. i have two large dogs that are essentially off leash for most walks here (i live in a 'rural' part of LA...big arroyos and washes for them to play in). i was curious if any of the undeveloped park areas are cool w/ offleash dogs? specifically, the areas around desert breeze and sunset parks (i know both of these parks ahave designated dog parks, but my dogs like to run, and fenced areas kinda prohibit that). i have been to the horseman & dog fancier park on e. flamingo, but despite its size, it is still a fenced park.

another potential place i have seen is the duck creek trail area. info online states leashed dogs only. anyone know how firm the leash laws are here?

any neighborhoods that might be more dog friendly?

thanks for any info/help/advice.
Clark County has no leash laws. So anywhere not in a park is legal to let the dog run free. I would try the large open areas in the north and NW and SW. Note that all the cities have leash laws...so it has to be unincorporated county.

I generally walk my dog off leash though I carry one and leash him up crossing major streets. He is pretty well behaved but I don't want him to see a desert rat at the wrong time/place.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:54 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Outside of the parks where the park police might hassle you, I don't think Metro is going around wasting their time writing tickets for dogs not on a leash. But, if you don't want your dog to get run over, keep them on the leash in town, and take them to dog parks like the one on Tenaya and Alexander where they have lots of room. It's in a flood control basin. People also let their dogs run loose in the huge flood control basins all around town. There are something like 185 miles of trails in Summerlin too, like the one that starts in The Pueblos. I let my dogs run loose there but I keep them on a yoke so they control each other and I can get to them both quickly. I'd never let my dogs walk free where there are cars though. You can take them hiking at Mt. Charleston too and Boulder City has some great trails. On the back trails in Red Rock they could have a ball. Keep in mind that dogs do get snake bitten in the desert now and then. Mine have never (knock on wood) come across a snake, but a friend lost a dog to snake bite up on the Kyle Canyon Road area.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:14 PM

Default thx so far

thx ack, capt, and buzz....good info so far.

my dogs are generally well behaved also, but both are <2 years old, and i wouldn't trust them around busy roads. good to hear about the reasonable take on leash laws...i have unfortunately been in some towns that will give you a ticket on the spot for an unleashed dog.

i have walked them offleash up on mt chuck and oak canyon (??) and they had a blast. unfortunately, i am also no stranger to the rattlesnake situation as one of them got bit a couple weeks ago here...and antivenin ain't cheap!we were walking in the arroy seco area just north of the rose bowl...just shows that you don't need to be away from the city to find snakes.

so it sounds like, assuming i can find a place to live near a park i will have a place to walk the dogs (also assuming we go early AM and after dark) without having to drive to a dog park or out of the city?

Old 08-07-2007, 06:47 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,743,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Clark County has no leash laws. So anywhere not in a park is legal to let the dog run free.
You are getting some very wrong information...like the statement above. It's way off base and extremely reckless.

You DO have to have your dog on a leash at all times in Clark County if you are outside of your yard. Give me a break, could you imagine dogs running freely anywhere! I think all places that aren't very rural have leash restrictions today.

Even with "laws" aside its clearly not allowed in many places.

Clark County Parks and Recreation requires that you leash your dog all times unless you are in a dog park in the unleashed area!

Here's the rules for regular parks:
Clark County, Nevada-Park maintenance (broken link)
It's listed right there.

Here's the info on dog parks:
Clark County Parks & Recreation_ Dog Parks
(again at the botton of the page they tell about dogs being off leashes are not allowed at regular parks)

Here's the city of Las Vegas Web site:
Animal Control (Official City of Las Vegas Web Site)
Here's their number one animal law:
Restraint Law - It is a misdemeanor for any animal to be at large witihin the city limits of Las Vegas.

From the city of North Las Vegas site:
Is there a leash law in North Las Vegas?
All pets regardless of age, must be leashed at all times unless confined on or within the owners' property. Permitting animals to run at large is unlawful. Which results in a fine of:

You can read the whole thing here:
Police Department Animal Control

Furthermore, most neighborhoods/communities in the valley have HOA's and most HOA's have their own rules about pets. All the ones that I've lived in have required that dogs be leashed at all times (and some have restrictions on what type of dogs are allowed in the community).

Leashing dogs has always been a community law anywhere I have lived.

I can tell you that if you lived in my neighborhood and let your dogs run around unleashed (with or without you) I would file complaints. You may think your dog is great, but millions of people are bitten every year by "great" dogs. It's a risk that nobody wants. If you want your dog to run around without a leash buy a home with a big back yard or take it to the dog parks.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:30 PM

thx RWF...your opinion on dogs offleash is noted.

but i think you may have jumped the gun on some of your responses:

as far as i can tell from the links you sent, there are only leash laws for the cities and parks, not the county. capt already said that. therefore dogs should be allowed offleash in the unicorporated areas

and buzz pointed out a good dog park i didn't know about, as well as the use of the flood basins for walking off-leash in. there was additional helpful info about red rocks (which i know allows off leash dogs) and mt. chuck. hardly bad advice or "wrong information".

thx for the links, but the lecture regarding 'great dogs' biting people was unnecessary. and that millions of people bitten number...most dog bite incidents happen in the home or yard...not by loose dogs running amok. so i will continue to walk my dogs under verbal control (and i don't think they are great dogs..i know they are - they even have been recommended to do nursing home and hospice visits)...so dial 91 and wait...cause you might need to start filing complaints...but i ask you to consider each case individually and not jump to the conclusion that any off leash dogs is a 'threat'. (again, thx for the info though..u clearly put a little effort into it and it is nice to be on a board where people actually respond with relevent info)

Old 08-07-2007, 07:59 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,743,962 times
Still... you'll have to make sure you aren't in Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, a county park that's not a dog park and in a community that allows it. You are ruling out a lot of places. And like I said, many HOA's have bylaws that prohibit dogs not being on a leash. And I used to go hiking regularly at Red Rock on the guided hikes they offer. The guides (that work for Red Rock) would always ask people to leash their dogs when we would see them out there.

No, seriously dogs should not be running free. There's no reason why people can't keep their mutts on leashes for the safety of all involved.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:03 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Actually it is a fine point in the regulations. RWF never got close.

Both the city and county forbid animals "at large".

If however you check the definition of "at large" they are very different.

The county does not require a leash...only effective control.

RWF has a belief system that requires all to conform. If not you most be wrong.

It goes with her fixation on Vegas...which must be an evil place as she left it.

there are in fact a few thousand square miles of eligible land in Clark County.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:56 PM

Default o'rly?

wait....what? RWF...u don't even live in LV? yet you cruise the LV forum and make comments as though you still do? hahaha...oh, well, i guess all forums need an angry troll.

and hey...if you are going to throw out blanket statements ("No, seriously dogs should not be running free. There's no reason why people can't keep their mutts on leashes for the safety of all involved.", you should:

a) make sure they actually apply to the discussion (this thread involves suitable locations to walk dogs off leash....not, as you put it, dogs running free)

and b) know the meaning of the words you choose...specifically, mutt...it technically only only applies to mixed breeds therefore, by your wording, allows a substantial portion of dogs run free and make the world unsafe for all involved.

the fact that you use 'mutt' in a semi-derogatory way also illustrates your anti-dog bias...and your opinions therefore, not relevant to the discussion.

thanks again, capt. that is more of the info i wanted....control not necessarily leashed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas