Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 07:47 PM

94 posts, read 185,938 times

Advertisements

We have been planning to move to the Gulf Coast of Florida, but don't intend to spend our retirement waiting for the oil slicks to disappear from the beaches.

So, we are re-assessing our plan. Looking for a viable backup. We don't want snow anymore. Or even extended cold.

We had considered Las Vegas area a few years back, but ruled it out for some reason. I can't remember.

We don't require a large house, but we want bells & whistles. Condo does not provide privacy and has economic considerations. We are looking for 400k or less. (preferably less) Pool or room for a pool is a must.

Any help out there?

Which area of Las Vegas would be good for a quiet couple that does not need to be real close to the "action"

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 08:05 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgans View Post
We have been planning to move to the Gulf Coast of Florida, but don't intend to spend our retirement waiting for the oil slicks to disappear from the beaches.

So, we are re-assessing our plan. Looking for a viable backup. We don't want snow anymore. Or even extended cold.

We had considered Las Vegas area a few years back, but ruled it out for some reason. I can't remember.

We don't require a large house, but we want bells & whistles. Condo does not provide privacy and has economic considerations. We are looking for 400k or less. (preferably less) Pool or room for a pool is a must.

Any help out there?

Which area of Las Vegas would be good for a quiet couple that does not need to be real close to the "action"

Thanks
Well it gets hot here. As it does in the FL panhandle. YOu gain on bugs...we have almost none...but it does get cool in the winter. But the panhandle does on occassion as well.

I would recommend you come and spend a week or two in late June or early July. See if you can deal with the heat.

350K to 400K will buy you a small palace with a pool. Bells and whistles all over the joint. It will do a nice place in the age restricted communities or simply a reasonably 2500 or larger place in Summerlin or Green Valley Ranch. There are also places stuck out in the desert where you can have all the privacy you want while 30 minutes from the strip.

You would have a substantial number of homes to choose from...kind of name your parameters.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:51 PM

151 posts, read 700,148 times
I couldn't live in Florida, too many bugs and humidity and I like the cold that Vegas gets in the winter

Old 06-03-2010, 12:12 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
Having JUST moved from Florida, I may be a bit biased here, but Vegas would be much better, less humidity and WAY less bugs

Old 06-03-2010, 01:04 AM

404 posts, read 1,195,898 times
We retired here, to Mesquite, NV, from Massachusetts last August. We had considered FL, Sanibel area, but the humidity was too much. We feel great , no aches, pains, with the low humidity. If you want to visit the ocean, the Pacific is a "short" five hour drive. In addition to some of the really nice areas of Las Vegas, if you truly don;t mind being an hour from the action, you might want to give Mesquite a try, as well. If you golf, there are 8 fabulous golf courses at reasonible prices.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:46 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfitt View Post
We retired here, to Mesquite, NV, from Massachusetts last August. We had considered FL, Sanibel area, but the humidity was too much. We feel great , no aches, pains, with the low humidity. If you want to visit the ocean, the Pacific is a "short" five hour drive. In addition to some of the really nice areas of Las Vegas, if you truly don;t mind being an hour from the action, you might want to give Mesquite a try, as well. If you golf, there are 8 fabulous golf courses at reasonible prices.
Curious about that...high humidity is bad for the aches and pains of old age? I'm not quite there yet....but I always thought it was cold weather?

Old 06-03-2010, 03:16 AM

112 posts, read 224,793 times
Like Davie, I lived(and owned homes) in both places. I lived in St. Petersburg for 8 years. I go back every 3-4 months to visit my family and now find the humidity unbearable. I also have joint problems and had mild juvenile arthritis. I find that my osteo and rheumatoid arthritis symptoms are MUCH better here. I grew up in the midwest and can tell you that I far prefer the ache of cold to the ache of year round humidity.

With or without the housing bust, I got more bang for the buck here. I don't miss the bugs, humidity, or no-fault insurance. I sure don't miss hurricaine season. Home owners insurance is outrageous in Florida and getting worse. Property taxes weren't great either. Traffic is a nightmare in any of the major metro areas in FL.

I find Vegas far more tolerant on the whole. I live a far more active lifestyle here. The only downside for me has been allergies. I do miss Tampa International Airport, family, friends, and the occasional Skyline chili dog.

Good luck with your decision. I'd be glad to answer any questions about my experience living in either place, so feel free to PM me.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:41 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
Maybe Phoenix might be more up your line than Vegas. Check out the "Sun Cities" in the NW Valley.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:22 PM

222 posts, read 385,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamping View Post
I do miss Tampa International Airport
Purely out of curiosity, what does TPA offer that LAS doesn't?

Surely, we have nonstop domestic service to the vast majority of markets that get it from Tampa, and International service here has grown leaps and bounds since I've been here.

LAS currently has nonstop TATL flights to LHR, LGW, MAN, GLA, CDG, and FRA with Virgin service to Manchester also starting in 2011. Going westbound, we have direct service to Manila on PR and nonstop inbound/1 stop outbound to Seoul on Korean Air.

Just wondering why you miss Tampa Airport when we have one of the top 5 airports in the U.S. right here in our fair city.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:06 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,884,616 times
TPA is a nice airport in a very convenient location if one lives in Tampa, probably the nicest airport I have seen in the Southeast. I'm sure it comes down to where one wants to travel most often, but agree LAS is the most convenient airport in the West considering the extensive service available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas