Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:50 AM

12 posts, read 52,197 times

Advertisements

I was born in Ukraine, now a US citizen living in the US. I would like get a dual citizenship with Ukraine, how can I accomplish this?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 02:42 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,756,712 times
Have you formally given up your Ukrainian citizenship by writing a letter to their embassy or similar? If not, you are probably already a dual citizen.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:45 PM

12 posts, read 52,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
Have you formally given up your Ukrainian citizenship by writing a letter to their embassy or similar? If not, you are probably already a dual citizen.

Don't know, my parents may have. I was 6yo when my family emigrated here. I automatically became a citizen of the US when my parents did. How can I research this?

Old 07-12-2010, 04:37 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,540,710 times
It would depend souly on what the russsian policy was or what any new policy is. Its has nothig to do with this country really.You might call the enarest embassy or wrtie to get the infomation.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:10 PM

9 posts, read 37,854 times
Ukraine does not recognize dual citizenship. My wife is from there. Once you become a US Citizen , you renounce the Ukrainian one.

texdav- Russia is a separate country from Ukraine.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:25 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,111,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saylorkc View Post

texdav- Russia is a separate country from Ukraine.
It is now, but the Ukraine was part of the USSR until 1991. So the OP could have been born there during the Soviet era and the citizenship rules may have changed a lot in his absence but they may have different rules for people born there prior to Ukrainian independence.

OP, I would start with the Ukrainian embassy in the US. Just pick up the phone and call them. If they don't have someone there who can answer your questions they will likely be able to put you in touch with someone who can.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:07 AM

1 posts, read 11,335 times
That was than, You can get your Russian citizenship back, as Ukraine is a independent own country now. There would be no records of it here now. I dont know that you can get it bacv since your and american citizen now. Dont you have your passport from being a child. As far as I know the only way I know is from the Shots office where they issue Ukraine passports from your childhood. But they are not going to have it i dont think. You would need to go back to the same office where your parents applied for yours and see if they can obtain it. Good LUCK !

Old 02-17-2011, 09:39 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,129,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by copper00 View Post
Don't know, my parents may have. I was 6yo when my family emigrated here. I automatically became a citizen of the US when my parents did. How can I research this?
Call the Ukrainian Embassy.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:47 PM

382 posts, read 1,916,966 times
I am dual of Ukraine/USA. Ukraine wants citizens who became citizens of another countries to give up the citizenship of Ukraine (that does not apply to people who received foreign citizenship automatically or before 18 years old - in that case dual is perfectly legal in Ukraine. Section 9 of Citizenship law). Yet, millions of people and even government officials hold more then Ukrainian citizenship. There is no mechanism to prevent or punish for this. So, double citizenship (not dual) is ok in Ukraine. You just need to know applicable laws, so, that you may answer possible questions when you are crossing Ukrainian boarder (not all immigration officers know laws). If you need more details, contact me via Skype - odessit771. I am an expert in Ukrainian citizenship law.

Dimitri
Notary/ATA Translator

Old 02-22-2011, 11:20 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,344,989 times
Congrats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration