Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 01:15 PM

902 posts, read 718,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
I disagree, I have loyalty to both countries. I'm not particularly fond of someone questioning my loyalty, especially after having served here more than most people born here. I think it's narrow-minded that you shouldn't care about others - a trait that more often than not causes problems.
I am sorry but one opens themselves up to any criticism when they carry openly a dual citizenship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 02:15 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,951,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
I never understood this. If people want to remain loyal to their respective homelands, then they should have permanent resident status or something similar. Why give them citizenship when they can't make up their minds?

Whats wrong with dual citizenship? Why should the U.S say.. "No, you either choose us or them". Its really not a matter of loyalty.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:20 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Whats wrong with dual citizenship? Why should the U.S say.. "No, you either choose us or them". Its really not a matter of loyalty.
"Citizenship isn't a matter of loyalty"?....I'm afraid you're in for some 'feedback' on that one, ProLogic. I'll have to differ with you....

Someday you may get married. At that time, your new wife may expect you to renounce your former girl friends. She'll probably look at it as a matter of "loyalty". She'll want you to "choose" her over someone else.

Citizenship is a "big deal", like marriage. Loyalty is part of it....

Old 01-21-2008, 02:28 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,951,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
"Citizenship isn't a matter of loyalty"?....I'm afraid you're in for some 'feedback' on that one, ProLogic. I'll have to differ with you....

Someday you may get married. At that time, your new wife may expect you to renounce your former girl friends. She'll probably look at it as a matter of "loyalty". She'll want you to "choose" her over someone else.

Citizenship is a "big deal", like marriage. Loyalty is part of it....
My parents are citizens of Mexico. They were born there, came to America and became American citizens. Big deal. Do they vote in the Mexico elections? NO! Their citizenship basically serves no purpose for them since they will only go to Mexico for vacation. That is not a matter of loyalty.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
I don't think we should have divided loyalties. I think any American citizen who claims allegiance to any government other than America should lose their American status. Minors should be given the same status as their parents.
The list of Black KKK members must be ALMOST as short as the membership list of the Islamic Gay Rights Organization.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
My parents are citizens of Mexico. They were born there, came to America and became American citizens. Big deal. Do they vote in the Mexico elections? NO! Their citizenship basically serves no purpose for them since they will only go to Mexico for vacation. That is not a matter of loyalty.
Not trying to trip you up---but it seems like, to your parents, it WAS a Big Deal. They're Americans now. If their Mexican citizenship "serves no purpose", why have it?. Incidentally, I'm sure they COULD vote in Mexican elections, if they chose to.

Perhaps "Mexico and the US" isn't a good example, But what about 'enemy' nations? What happens when the American citizen is ALSO a citizen of a country that happens to be at WAR with us? Lots of Germans and Italians ran into this 'conflict' in WWII.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:38 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,253 times
Quote:
It is incomprehensible to me why one would think he or she is a loyal American when at the same time he or she is supporting the interests of foreigners and/or foreign governments.

In other words, you have no problem with an active and supporting member of al-Qaeda refusing to renounce loyalty to his country of origin known to support terrorism against "infidels," that is, anyone who does not support the Islamic Salaf views of the patristic period, becoming a U.S. citizen while retaining citizenship within his country of origin.....

Old 01-21-2008, 02:42 PM

48,128 posts, read 22,002,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
When one becomes 18 they should have to choose which nation they want to be citizens of.
That was my understanding of how it works. My sister was born in Canada, our parents were American citizens. She was told she had dual citizenship until she exercised one or the other by voting in a national election. She voted in America and I believe that made her an American citizen and forfeited her opp to be Canadian citizen. ( not sure of this)

It is also my understanding that any person born of a jewish mother, has similar rights to claim Israeli citizenship. I don't know if this is true, but I think it is.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
That was my understanding of how it works. My sister was born in Canada, our parents were American citizens. She was told she had dual citizenship until she exercised one or the other by voting in a national election. She voted in America and I believe that made her an American citizen and forfeited her opp to be Canadian citizen. ( not sure of this)

It is also my understanding that any person born of a jewish mother, has similar rights to claim Israeli citizenship. I don't know if this is true, but I think it is.
Many countries DO operate this way. I think Germany is one. Anyone in the world with a certain amount of German ancestry can apply for German citizenship. (don't know their policy on 'duals'). I believe Ireland recently did something like ths, too. Meanwhile, it's exceedingly hard even for third-generation Non-German residents to qualify--the emphasis is on "German blood" (unless this has VERY recently changed)_

At one time (maybe still) ALL Portuguese and ALL Brazilians had automatic, reciprocal dual citizenship, (or at least free rights of immigration) by virtue of their birth. China "considers" Taiwanese its citizens (though they aren't 'flattered' by this 'privilege" ).

Lots of very different 'relationships' between LOTS of "pairs" of countries, or "ethnic groups"--reflectng our very DIFFERENT concepts of "Who are 'we', and how do we differentiate 'us' from 'them' ".....The U.S. is VERY 'easy' in this regard...

Old 01-21-2008, 03:09 PM

48,128 posts, read 22,002,483 times
And if i understood correctly the last Italian election might have been decided by the decision to allow any person of Italian ancestory living anywhere in the world to participate in the election. That sounds wierd but I think that is what I read in the paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration