Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 07:02 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
G5 is tied to G1-4 and tied to a number of stipulations. You cannot "bring in the hired help" so to speak.
I believe this is exactly what I said. No one can just bring in anyone in the US, by the way. You have to meet all criterias. I have had a G-5 before and so do many people I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 07:52 AM

438 posts, read 1,352,469 times
If you would like to experience another "culture" - why not try a deaf person who is dedicated to caregiving?
Their culture is completely different to that of a hearing person as the majority of them have been forced to adjust to a hearing world. They can teach you ASL (American Sign Language) and you will have an amazing time learning about this manner of communication.
You will also be doing someone who is normally "limited" with job opportunities a chance to find employment.
Contact your deaf community club and find out more.....
Just my 2c.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,862 times
Hi Howard,

Were you able to get someone from the Phils. as a caregiver? An elderly wants to hire me and we can't figure out how to do it, I am a permanent resident of Canada, only citizens of Canada can apply for a job in the US. Marriage is not a solution. Were you able to find a lawyer that can help you?

Old 04-03-2012, 07:57 AM

14,473 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsky View Post
Hi Howard,

Were you able to get someone from the Phils. as a caregiver? An elderly wants to hire me and we can't figure out how to do it, I am a permanent resident of Canada, only citizens of Canada can apply for a job in the US. Marriage is not a solution. Were you able to find a lawyer that can help you?
No, the only lawyer I spoke to, was an immigration lawyer. They said the type visa needed for a domestic worked cost $6000-$7000 for the application fee. If the visa is denied, no refunds.

You say marriage is not a solution. If the two parties are male and female, then I think marriage can help.
For example if John Doe wanted to marry A.T. from Malaysia, John would apply for a fiancee visa. Once here, if they did not marry within 90 days, then she has to go back to Malaysia. That is the way I understood marriage to work years ago.

I spoke to a lady in the Philippines and she wanted to work for a couple in Florida, but she could not get the visa.

Domestic workers or caregivers are not skilled positions.

When will you be a citizen of Canada and how long would the process have taken from start to finish? (arrive Canada, become a resident, become a citizen and able to travel-work for an elderly person in US)

Old 04-03-2012, 10:01 AM

831 posts, read 680,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsky View Post
Hi Howard,

Why do you do this to yourselves and want to be a modern day slaves?

Look up pokwang's pilikula "mothers story", its true, Pinoy din ako and i think you should have enough dignity to do something else than put yourself through that ordeal just for the sake of your family. They will simply not care about you when you get sick or your needs, if they did, why couldnt they hire ANYONE here in the states for that job?

Old 04-03-2012, 10:05 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
No, the only lawyer I spoke to, was an immigration lawyer. They said the type visa needed for a domestic worked cost $6000-$7000 for the application fee. If the visa is denied, no refunds.

You say marriage is not a solution. If the two parties are male and female, then I think marriage can help.
For example if John Doe wanted to marry A.T. from Malaysia, John would apply for a fiancee visa. Once here, if they did not marry within 90 days, then she has to go back to Malaysia. That is the way I understood marriage to work years ago.

I spoke to a lady in the Philippines and she wanted to work for a couple in Florida, but she could not get the visa.

Domestic workers or caregivers are not skilled positions.

When will you be a citizen of Canada and how long would the process have taken from start to finish? (arrive Canada, become a resident, become a citizen and able to travel-work for an elderly person in US)
Suggesting visa fraud?

Old 04-03-2012, 10:19 AM

Impossible to fraud on a visa. If a foreigner wants a non skilled job in the USA the visa is denied.

However, people need to remember:
what is wrong with someone wanting to offer a friend of their family, a job in their home. Suppose I owned a large farm in Kansas. My family has friends in another country and we'd like to hire one of our friends to work on our farm. Not that an American can not do the work, that is not the point.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-Ranger View Post

why couldnt they hire ANYONE here in the states for that job?
They could.

They point is that many Americans have travelled and spent years of their life in other countries, many are military families.
While overseas they make many close friends.
Why can't an American hire one of their overseas friends?

Old 04-03-2012, 10:28 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
impossible to fraud on a visa. If a foreigner wants a non skilled job in the usa the visa is denied.

However, people need to remember:
what is wrong with someone wanting to offer a friend of their family, a job in their home. Suppose i owned a large farm in kansas. My family has friends in another country and we'd like to hire one of our friends to work on our farm. not that an american can not do the work, that is not the point.
h2b

Old 04-03-2012, 01:10 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-Ranger View Post
So by your logic, i have to give a legit piece of information in order to be a resourceful contributer to these forums?

Am i not covered by the "Free speach" ammendment or is that only handed out to the chosen one's?

But ok yeah, here's a piece of valid information for all you would be domestic workers (Slaves)...

Go back to your homes and families, give them a hug and tell them that you love them and figure out in your head how you can impliment changes in your own yard (countries) to make it a better place for your children to prosper in their coming years so they dont have to work for anybody else as a slave. So YOU dont have to ENDURE, lonely nights, year after year and the longing to be close to YOUR loved ones. Also, bear in mind how they are missing you back home, how the years pass by with you not being there by their side. Heartwrenching!!

How's that Threestep? is that valid piece humane piece of info for you? perhaps less profitable for you but ok??
Goodness gracious! The Philippine economy is heavily dependent on OFW (Overseas Foreign Workers). Hugs and togetherness may not be enough to feed families, thus they endure the separation to be able to provide. I don't get where you construe Howard's preference for a Filipino caretaker as a ploy to hold slaves? I think you're the one that debases your countryman's status in life, first by calling the honest service they provide as servitude and indenturedness, and second, implying that any potential employer is necessarily a slave holder. Easy for you to judge and quarterback from your armchair there in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration