Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 01:26 PM

8 posts, read 40,808 times

Advertisements

I posted this on another thread as a reply but thought it might do better here for a response! My question is concerning crossing the border in to the USA. A few years ago I worked in America on a work visa and had every intention of remaining in the States for quite a while (possibly even applying for citizenship). The company I worked for at the time in Canada sponsored my employment stint in the US and at the time I was a very highly regarded employee of this international company. Unfortunately things went sour and without getting into too much detail my employer in California forced me to resign and I moved back to Canada leaving $12K in debt with credit card companies. I blame this company for their unethical approach to management and making my life a living hell while I was there. I honestly thought I was going to be there for a while. i had bought and paid for a new car, bought several big ticket itmes but did manage to ring up a huge credit card debt. When I went back to Canada I couldn't find work and was unemployed up there for several months, thus defaulting on my monthly payments. I was basically living off of my savings that I had accumulated over the years and did not qualify for EI from Canada or California. I now read where my defaults were "charged-off" and that they some legal offices were looking for me in the States. So my question is my fiancé and loved California and would like to get married there soo but I am afraid that I will get apprehended at the border if i attempt to do so? is this true?. Currently I am now unemployed AGAIN as my most recent employer just laid me off so money is tight but this time I have EI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 01:49 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,809,255 times
Nope. The collectors can only harass the hell out of you, but not arrest you.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:54 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
We had this discussion in the past. Immigration will not get involved directly but it may come to haunt you in the long run. Old debts tend to reappear at very inconvenient occasions.

Blaming your employer for your personal purchases?

Old 12-30-2010, 12:00 PM

427 posts, read 1,223,975 times
It doesn't matter at all, you can come and go freely as you wish. Your matter is civil not criminal. You will never get a warrant or be arrested for debt as it is not a criminal act according to any U.S. laws and never will be. I would suggest you speak to a lawyer in the U.S. about it especially if you are being sued as you might be able to declare bankruptcy in the U.S. since you are having financial difficulties right now and get relief from the debt. It can become a criminal act if you miss court dates if you are being sued but not the direct act of having debt, just to clarify. Best of luck to you in the future and with your wedding.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:34 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,063,650 times
You wont be arrested but I would highly advise you to stop counting chickens before the eggs hatch.
I will never have that problem because I refuse to spend money I don't have.
I will buy a vehicle or real estate on borrowed money but I draw the line there.
Credit card debt is a hope and future killer for those who have little self control. Believing in the lies that employers often tell when they want to "use" you can mess up a life quite quickly also.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:11 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,638 times
Big ticket items you couldn't sell I'm guessing?

Old 12-30-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
...Blaming your employer for your personal purchases?
No but blaming certain individuals in a company that sobotaged a perfectively good career,... yes!

Old 12-30-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
Big ticket items you couldn't sell I'm guessing?
The car was paid off in two years. Gave me a really high FICO score. The other items included a home entertainment system in which I paid cash. It was too easy to get credit and for a while things were really, really good! I just fell behind after I lost my job. Good advise from some folks here, I think I will get in touch with a lawyer in California soon. Bankruptcy would only be a last resort!

Old 12-30-2010, 10:36 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,638 times
So why didn't you sell the car and pay back your debt? Just saying. So many people blame everyone but themselves for their debts but they are the ones sitting at home with all the stuff they bought.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:38 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calintocda View Post
No but blaming certain individuals in a company that sobotaged a perfectively good career,... yes!
I am so sorry! You left the US and left legally owed debt behind. Now a new love and you want to return. It is easily possible that your creditors turned over the books to a collection agency for cents on the dollar and that these agencies will use legal means to secure their claims. Please forget the rumor that after seven years debt so to say goes away. Have you read the questions for GC and citizenship applications? Pending legal issues may have an impact on "good moral standing".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration