Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,549 times

Advertisements

I am dual citizen and married to a Canadian for many years. Could someone tell me why my husband has such a delay when crossing? He is 75 and retired and they always tell him he is not allowed to work in US, come on we are retired, and have homes in both countries. With our health we can't work, what is their problem? We spend just as much in the States as we do in Canada. We are what you call snowbirds. All our currency is Canada based. Could someone please tell me why the hassle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 04:19 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,768,668 times
They are afraid he will move to the USA permanently, and then they'd have to pick up healthcare costs.
They are afraid he'll spend more than half his time in the USA, which would be illegal.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:31 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,256,945 times
I was having a heck of a time crossing into the states for a few years,
i finally asked the border guard what the heck are you seeing on that computer thats getting me all this hassle every time i cross the border.
He said you are telling me you are Canadian but this Computer is telling me you are American.After much discussion and detective work to track down where the original mistake was made the problem was resolved and i havent had a problem since..

As for the Canadian medicare, it will be rendered void if you stay out of Canada for more than 6 months.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:24 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,333,910 times
I was warned I'd have some hassle at the border when I entered this time, on a K1 immigration visa (Fiancé), US Embassy said to allow 8 hours between transit flights.

After I notified border patrol that they forgot to look at my immigration papers it took about 20 minutes, 15 of which I was just waiting.

Sorry to see you guys have so much trouble.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:05 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,220,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I was having a heck of a time crossing into the states for a few years,
i finally asked the border guard what the heck are you seeing on that computer thats getting me all this hassle every time i cross the border.
He said you are telling me you are Canadian but this Computer is telling me you are American.After much discussion and detective work to track down where the original mistake was made the problem was resolved and i havent had a problem since..

As for the Canadian medicare, it will be rendered void if you stay out of Canada for more than 6 months.
That's a bummer on the hassle you've had but I am confused as to why you would call the health care in Canada 'medicare', that is an American term and one I have never heard used in Canada by a Canadian.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:07 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,644,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I was warned I'd have some hassle at the border when I entered this time, on a K1 immigration visa (Fiancé), US Embassy said to allow 8 hours between transit flights.

After I notified border patrol that they forgot to look at my immigration papers it took about 20 minutes, 15 of which I was just waiting.

Sorry to see you guys have so much trouble.
First time is often actually the easiest for some ironic reason.
But they can hassel you for whatever reason they can come up with (even when you have a GC). And they don't even need to have a reason: I got held up in Minneapolis/St Paul in April for no reason what so ever (I asked when it was finally my turn, and the TSA agent told me that everything was in perfect order. Yet I was detained at Secondary questioning for over an hour ...)

My experience as I go back and forth a lot between the US and Sweden is that it all depends on the agent that deals with you. Somestimes you're lucky and just breeze through. Sometimes they will hassel you a bit. We're all suspected terrorists or leaches of the system you know, and the border agents just want to make sure we know they're onto us.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:06 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,207,418 times
Doesn't matter. He is not entitled to any benefits that a US citizen has.

He is delayed because the officer is worried that your other half is an intended immigrant and is concealing a material fact of his true intentions at the time of his application for admission to the US. It is up to your husband to prove to the officer that he is not intending to immigrate himself or go out of status after being admitted to the US.

That is why he is delayed.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:34 AM

10,206 posts, read 17,852,567 times
Any time a foreigner is entering a country for an extended period of time without a residency visa, it raises red flags and they are obligated to ask certain questions and remind the foreigner of immigration laws. It's their job. I'm American but my husband is British and we live in the UK - he usually gets extra questions coming into the US but since we're only there for short periods of time, it doesn't raise major flags. They ask him a few extra questions but I wouldn't say they "hassle" him.

Even as an American, I get certain questions they are obligated to ask me too since I live in the UK. Usually "why are you living in the UK?" "how long have you lived there?" "are you travelling with your husband now?" and then I wind up getting the same questions foreigners get too like "how long will you be in the US?" and "what is the purpose of your visit?". Usually the questions are routine and at the end I'm told "Welcome home" or "welcome back". But once, I was actually given a really hard time (the guy was just really rude and seemed reluctant to let me go) - I couldn't believe it, I was thinking "This is MY country!"

Old 01-20-2011, 02:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,256,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
That's a bummer on the hassle you've had but I am confused as to why you would call the health care in Canada 'medicare', that is an American term and one I have never heard used in Canada by a Canadian.
As half my life has been spent in the USA i sometimes get things a bit mixed up..

Old 02-21-2011, 10:49 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,220,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As half my life has been spent in the USA i sometimes get things a bit mixed up..
Got it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration