U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 01-04-2011, 06:05 PM
Location: Dallas, TX
4,464 posts, read 8,641,507 times
Reputation: 2794


Hi, I'm currently in the US on a K-1 Fiancé visa (entered Dec 20th), I'm getting married 01/06/11 (in two days!!) and even though reading on the USCIS website as well as going off of what the case worker at the Embassy told me, I'm a little confused as to what happens next.

Am I correct in thinking I only need to file the I-485 form for adjustment of status? I'm aware that I can also file an I-131 in case I need to leave the country, but not seeing any immediate need for that, do I have to/should I? (I'm from Norway, so far any processing has been very efficient and without snags, how long will the I-485 take to clear? Border patrol only had me for 20 mins and didn't ask me any questions part from "You got anything new to add to this paperwork?" and checking that the address was correct.)

Is there any other paperwork I need to file together with this application or any paperwork my fiancé, very son to be wife needs to file?

Secondly, how do I go about getting a SSN? Do I wait for the I-485 to clear?

Any help is very welcome and if I've left something unanswered please ask to allow me to clarify, thank you.

Last edited by TheViking85; 01-04-2011 at 06:26 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 04:47 PM
1,353 posts, read 1,766,124 times
Reputation: 1080
I would suggest you look at this website:

Adjustment of Status (Green Card) from Family Based Visas - VisaJourney.com

It's a very helpful, up to date and informative website and I found it invaluable during my own immigration process (I also married a US citizen)

The link should take you straight to the Adjustment of Status forum.

You can also find the info you need for acquiring your Social Security number on the Visa Journey site - you need to do this quite quickly (preferably at least a month before the March expiry of the green I-94 that was issued to you when you landed).

Here's a brief timeline:

1) Get married

2) Apply for your marriage certificate as soon as possible and request a few certified copies (you will need these for acquiring your SSN and for Adjustment of Status)

3) Apply for Social Security Number

4) Apply for Adjustment of Status to receive your Conditional (2 year) Greencard. Again, preferably before your green I-94 expires in March.

It is a good idea to open a/some joint bank account(s), get your State ID or Drivers Licence and generally start to accrue documentation such as joint tenancy/lease/mortgage statements to show that you live together, share finances etc - in short, that your marriage is bona fide - as you may be required to supply this sort of info if you are called for an interview prior to your Conditional (2 year) Greencard being approved. You may also want to keep copies of itineraries/boarding passes for any trips you make together and have copies of your wedding photos.

You will also DEFINITELY need the above (plus copies of your Federal Tax Returns) for the Removal of Conditions process which will fall due a few months before your Conditional (2 year) greencard expires.

Good luck with your wedding!

Last edited by London Girl; 01-05-2011 at 05:02 PM..
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Location: Eastern Washington
11,433 posts, read 37,688,535 times
Reputation: 8378
Note that the conditional green card says "permanent" on it, or at least my wife's did.

Be sure to apply for the SSN as soon as possible, without that you can't take the next steps.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Location: Dallas, TX
4,464 posts, read 8,641,507 times
Reputation: 2794
Just got married today, going to get the certified copies of the marriage certificate tomorrow, we'll start working on it then, thank you both so far.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Location: Lowlands
271 posts, read 1,024,653 times
Reputation: 167
You need to apply for a SSN now, your fiance visa allows you to work. When you entered the country you should have received a work permit.

Once you apply for the adjustment, do not leave the country.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Location: Dallas, TX
4,464 posts, read 8,641,507 times
Reputation: 2794
So... if my vaccination papers are nowhere to be found? (I'm pretty sure the customs officer accidentally took them with the rest of my paperwork at the border, I had it in the same folder as I had everything else.)

I'm working on getting new ones, but what's the worst case here? The entire medical all over again?
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Location: Dallas, TX
4,464 posts, read 8,641,507 times
Reputation: 2794
Disregard the last port, looks like I'll be getting the documents needed.

As far as the SSN goes, in the guide of how to apply for an SSN it says that you need a note from a government agency explaining why you need the SSN if you aren't allowed to work?

As far as I know I'm not allowed to work until I file an I-765 and I don't have nor do I know any way of obtaining a letter saying I need an SSN, does this mean the SSN has to wait until I file for adjustment and my I-765 (EAD) goes through, which from what I hear, can take a while?

I really wish they'd make this a bit less convoluted.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 11:57 AM
250 posts, read 469,479 times
Reputation: 143
I believe you will not have a problem getting the SSN as it is a fairly common procedure under the K-1, but I would call the SSN office first to ask. I think the note for the SSN, is for wifes of non-immigrant visa holders, who need to have a reason to obtain the SSN instead of just the ITIN (tax payer id)...
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011, 10:25 AM
Location: Dallas, TX
4,464 posts, read 8,641,507 times
Reputation: 2794
Just to keep people updated, I went to the SSA in McKinney, and a very helpful guy had my paperwork done in less than 10 minutes (we waited for a while beforehand, but that's to be expected), and even informed me that the USCIS had my last name spelled wrong in their database, so that I could notify them of that.

And even then, he managed to make it so that the name on my Social security card and in their system would be my actual name.

Overall a very positive experience. Apart from the annoying and headache inducing paperwork, all my interaction with actual people during this process so far has been incredibly positive.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 10:59 PM
16,234 posts, read 7,730,153 times
Reputation: 6112
File the I-485 along with the evidence of your marriage along with the requisite fee. Essentially you are applying to adjust status from a non-immigrant to a immigrant. You will receive a I-551 Permanent Resident card good for 2 years as a conditional resident. 90 days prior to your 2nd anniversary file to remove the conditions of your residency. You will then receive a I-551 good for 10 years.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top