Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 10:01 PM

5 posts, read 9,235 times

Advertisements

a few weeks ago i wrote a thread titled "Moving to the UK ". i was in a very big hurry to write it and i didnt think through it very well so heres a follow up thread to better explain my predicament.

__________________________________________________ ________________
this may be quite long so please read it fully.

about a month ago i was researching for a place to stay after my senior year of high school, after a long search and comparing places to one another i decided i wanted to go to Edinburgh, UK. the reasons for choosing Edinburgh were that it was the same size city i live in, that its kind of remote, has a lot of culture, the apartments i found their were reasonably priced, and it just seemed to warm up to me the more i researched it.
i have about $15000 (8971 pounds) in the bank currently, so i think im covered in expenses (if i need more i can work through the summer).

my plan is to live there for 1-5 years or if the opportunity exist indefinitely. i have the money to do this and i have decided that i want to move there (im one of those people that does what they decide on, no matter what),

here is what i needed to know:
1. what type of visa do i need (i can get a job there if required)
2. how do i transfer money from my US bank to one in UK (i have a rough picture)
3. how would i get a drivers license
4. is there anything i should know before i go there, anything at all

thank you for reading (if you did), and thank you in advance for your replies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 11:54 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,907,803 times
It is not realistic to expect to get a work visa at age 18. If an employer has a vacancy that can be filled by someone with not many qualifications and not much experience, eg an 18-year old, he will have no difficulty finding someone suitable locally. He will have no incentive to get his company licensed to employ foreign workers or go through all the hassle and red tape of getting a work visa for someone. It's not worth his time and money to do this unless he has a vacancy for a rocket scientist. The only visa you might qualify for at age 18 is a student visa but a 3 to 4 year course at a UK university will cost you $90,000 to $120,000 all in. If you don't have that kind of money, your best bet is to go to college in your own country and get yourself a bachelor's degree in some usefull subject like engineering, science or medecine. You will then be in a position where you might be able to get a work permit for the UK. Please do be aware that you cannot live in the UK just because you want to - only EU citizens can do that - you must first get a visa of some kind. Well, I guess this is not what you wanted to hear but this is the way it is.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:34 AM

thanks Bob-666, that's all i really needed to know, but like i said i really wanted to go and live there, at least for a while. and also like i said im one of those people who does what they set they're mind to so ill find a way, if i wait a year i can have about $45,000 - $60,000. so going to a UK university isnt out of reach.

just one last question, isnt there a type of visa that allows someone to live in uk for 5 or 6 months, a "work holiday visa" or something along those lines?

Old 05-02-2011, 01:06 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,907,803 times
There is working holiday visa for the UK but it is only available to citizens of Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Japan. The US was invited to join the scheme but it declined to do so. Tourist visas for the UK are good for 6 months so there is nothing to stop you having an extended vacation there providing you can afford it. You can't work on a tourist visa however. There is a visa for interns but you have to be a recent graduate. If you are serious about attending a UK university, look into long term student loans from places such as Sallie Mae https://www.salliemae.com/

Old 05-02-2011, 01:32 AM

alright, thank you Bob-666, im very happy with what ive found out. again, thanks for the help

Old 05-02-2011, 06:50 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
As admirable as it is that you're "one of those people that does what they decide on, no matter what", The UK immigration laws have quite a bit to say on the issue. Here is a website which you should fully read:

UK Border Agency | Home Page

Do be aware that if you fly into the UK without having adhered to all the rules and regulations, you won't even get out of the airport but will be put on the next flight back to the US. Good luck.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:31 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
As admirable as it is that you're "one of those people that does what they decide on, no matter what", The UK immigration laws have quite a bit to say on the issue. Here is a website which you should fully read:

UK Border Agency | Home Page

Do be aware that if you fly into the UK without having adhered to all the rules and regulations, you won't even get out of the airport but will be put on the next flight back to the US. Good luck.
I don't think that post was really neccessary, considering what the OP and Bob -666 have posted.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:45 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
I don't think that post was really neccessary, considering what the OP and Bob -666 have posted.

Posting a link to the official UK immigration site which has all the information the OP needs is not "really necessary"? You've lost me there.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:18 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,992 times
I thought it was perfectly appropriate. I have heard endless horror stories from people (US citizens included) that thought it was just a matter of wanting it bad enough, or being the 'right kind' of immigrant that would get them into their country of choice, rather than following the correct procedure and adhering to all the various rules and regulations. If you truly want it so badly you'll find a way to do it correctly.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:11 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,484,018 times
Unlike the US Visitor Visa, you can not change your status through another visa while in the UK unless you get married to a citizen. I lived in the UK as an immigrant for 8 years, but I am married to a Brit. Of course, I don't have personal experience with a visitor visa so someone else might know if there are other possibilities.

Edinburgh is lovely, by the way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration