U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-14-2011, 04:49 PM
 
25,334 posts, read 37,471,570 times
Reputation: 13249

Advertisements

Computer glitch voids green card lottery results - CNN.com

Washington (CNN) -- Tens of thousands of would-be immigrants to America are sure to be disappointed after a computer glitch prompted the State Department to invalidate results of the most recent green card visa lottery.

Each year, the State Department issues 50,000 visas from a pool of applicants who are randomly selected but are required to undergo interviews, background checks and medical exams before they are given permanent status.

For the 2012 lottery, 19.6 million people entered during a 30-day online registration period, a senior State Department official told reporters. Of those, about 90,000 were to selected to make it to the next step. Many of them had already logged on and discovered their good fortune.

-----------------------

A lot of people already complained that this year something was wrong...all winners so far had entered on 10/05/2010 which doesn't seems right that only people won who entered that day...

I understand that a lot of winners will be upset and already had send out their paperwork....maybe someone will be lucky to be announced a winner for the 2nd time...and other people will be happy that it will be redone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2011, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Sunshine Coast, BC
10,791 posts, read 7,495,413 times
Reputation: 17720
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
A lot of people already complained that this year something was wrong...all winners so far had entered on 10/05/2010 which doesn't seems right that only people won who entered that day...

I understand that a lot of winners will be upset and already had send out their paperwork....maybe someone will be lucky to be announced a winner for the 2nd time...and other people will be happy that it will be redone.
It was actually 90% of winners were selected from the first two days of applications. So the other 10% of winners were selected from other days. My husband's application was done on the 24th of October so possibly was truly random. But we just go back into the draw anyway. Bummer but that's the way it's gotta be to be truly random and fair to everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2011, 08:16 PM
 
25,334 posts, read 37,471,570 times
Reputation: 13249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
It was actually 90% of winners were selected from the first two days of applications. So the other 10% of winners were selected from other days. My husband's application was done on the 24th of October so possibly was truly random. But we just go back into the draw anyway. Bummer but that's the way it's gotta be to be truly random and fair to everyone.
Are you saying he had won?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2011, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Sunshine Coast, BC
10,791 posts, read 7,495,413 times
Reputation: 17720
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Are you saying he had won?
Yeah. Pretty cruel eh? His application gets picked, we get all excited, start altering our plans and two weeks later it's 'oops, sorry we made a big boo-boo'.

If his had been one of those applications submitted on the 5th or 6th, it'd be a little easier to take maybe, knowing that his was one of those not-really-random selections. But since his was picked on one of the dates that wasn't part of the problem, it's particularly frustrating.

But can't do anything about it, gotta move on. Just hope one of us gets picked on July 15th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2011, 04:46 AM
 
25,334 posts, read 37,471,570 times
Reputation: 13249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Yeah. Pretty cruel eh? His application gets picked, we get all excited, start altering our plans and two weeks later it's 'oops, sorry we made a big boo-boo'.

If his had been one of those applications submitted on the 5th or 6th, it'd be a little easier to take maybe, knowing that his was one of those not-really-random selections. But since his was picked on one of the dates that wasn't part of the problem, it's particularly frustrating.

But can't do anything about it, gotta move on. Just hope one of us gets picked on July 15th.
Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2011, 04:06 AM
 
Location: where meteor showers happens o_O
7 posts, read 18,651 times
Reputation: 11
My English isn't perfect but I can't keep silence! That's terribly upsetting news for me! Is it really "fair" to take our dreams away? That would be great if USA, prosperous country, will add a couple of thousands visas to regular 50k. Ex-winners shouldn't be responsible for program errors!
May be something we can do about this misfortune?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2011, 07:14 PM
 
25,334 posts, read 37,471,570 times
Reputation: 13249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergey_V View Post
My English isn't perfect but I can't keep silence! That's terribly upsetting news for me! Is it really "fair" to take our dreams away? That would be great if USA, prosperous country, will add a couple of thousands visas to regular 50k. Ex-winners shouldn't be responsible for program errors!
May be something we can do about this misfortune?
Thanks!
So you are saying that the other 19.4 million should recieve it too since they were cheated out of a chance....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2011, 08:44 PM
 
Location: where meteor showers happens o_O
7 posts, read 18,651 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
So you are saying that the other 19.4 million should recieve it too since they were cheated out of a chance....
Well, I didn't say that. The rest of applicants should participate in the next draw as usual. BTW no one gave them hope through posting results at the appointed date on the official site.
But what possibility of being selected two times in a row? What odds of winning jackpot two times in a row? It's virtually =0. So officials' decision doesn't seem that fair even statistically wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2011, 09:21 PM
 
Location: London
1,587 posts, read 3,138,359 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergey_V View Post
My English isn't perfect but I can't keep silence! That's terribly upsetting news for me! Is it really "fair" to take our dreams away? That would be great if USA, prosperous country, will add a couple of thousands visas to regular 50k. Ex-winners shouldn't be responsible for program errors!
May be something we can do about this misfortune?
Thanks!
"Prosperous country"? The United States is anything but lately. Eh...no offense, but that's really unfair is that a lot of unemployed American citizens' dreams are being taken away and yet our government is still handing out free visas with minimal requirements. No other country does this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2011, 10:40 PM
 
Location: where meteor showers happens o_O
7 posts, read 18,651 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Eh...no offense, but that's really unfair is that a lot of unemployed American citizens' dreams are being taken away and yet our government is still handing out free visas with minimal requirements. No other country does this!
I guess there is nothing to worry about if you are skilled professional. General labor should be scared At least we're intend to immigrate legally, pay all taxes, respect authorities and laws, be cordial to people around us.
May be move to Mexico and then easily trespass the US border would be more acceptable
Dear friend, Russia always do have a job and welcomes you if $6k a year(!) would be enough for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top