Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 07:36 PM

4 posts, read 6,869 times

Advertisements

In short, I'm a Canadian but I'm obsessed with moving to the States. I could start a whole thread about my obsession but I'll save you the grim details.

But to hope and dream without action would be silly...here's where I stand.

I recently graduated (almost a year ago) with a BA in Economics. I was fortunate enough to receive a lot of interest from employers upon my graduation and accepted a position with a US corporate giant in one of their Canadian offices.

I'm constantly reviewing the internal job boards and drooling all over the US positions. But is it too soon to apply to them? I'd wait until I've been there a year but even then it feels too soon. I'm tight lipped at work about the whole situation. I thought about discussing it with my boss when it comes time for my review but even then I'd rather save it until I know it's absolutely go time and I have my application in.

Staying with the company that I'm with now and relocating seems like the best option but it would take some time.

So, what are the other options to speed up the process?

We're all aware of the economic conditions in the States, so I don't know if applying for a position in the States with another company would be realistic? It's worth a shot though, right? Besides I always heard it was easier to get a job when you already have one...

While I was a student I accumulated some solid work experience and started a related business venture that I still maintain on the side. This has given me a nice resume for a recent graduate. But I'm probably a dime a dozen in the US!

I try to remain confident that moving to the States is realistic for me but when I get a taste of reality by visiting boards like this one the frustration sets in.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 11:04 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times
I'm an American who's always wanted to live in Canada, so I wish I could trade places with you . Still, I'd have to say your chances are slim. Employers generally want you to stay in a position for a few years before you transfer into another location. Also, I don't understand why you would want to move to the States in the first place. Canada is a far better country, especially for a recent graduate. Down here, unemployment is sky high, crime is much higher, the politicians are at each other's throats, there is no universal health care and the corporate culture is much more cutthroat than it is in Canada. If it's the weather, why not just move to Vancouver? It's warm enough to grow palm trees, and you wouldn't have to worry about immigration.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:16 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,544 times
By far the easiest way to come here is as a transferred employer with an L visa.

I'd say casually ask what the policy is on US transfers with your company and go from there. You don't have enough experience to really breeze through a H1B visa app yet.

If you truly want it so bad you should be willing to wait as long as it takes.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:52 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I know that unemployment is so high in the States but why do I continue to see job listings within my industry? Is there a lack of qualified candidates?

I guess the semi-good news is that I've already been told at my company that if I do want to move up I'll have to relocate. That's only because the two positions above mine are already filled by established people who are 10-15 years away from retirement. I just haven't dropped the bomb on them that I want to relocate to the US.

Now I've also been taking Spanish lessons for the past 5 weeks and hypothetically if I were to become fluent in the language, would it help my chances? or am I wasting my time?

@northstar22 - When you're growing up in Canada and your parents put you in Football and not Hockey, there's a good chance you're destined for the US.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:15 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,500 times
Being a Canadian you're already an American.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:21 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,285,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanvoyager View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I guess the semi-good news is that I've already been told at my company that if I do want to move up I'll have to relocate. That's only because the two positions above mine are already filled by established people who are 10-15 years away from retirement. I just haven't dropped the bomb on them that I want to relocate to the US.

Now I've also been taking Spanish lessons for the past 5 weeks and hypothetically if I were to become fluent in the language, would it help my chances? or am I wasting my time?

@northstar22 - When you're growing up in Canada and your parents put you in Football and not Hockey, there's a good chance you're destined for the US.
When you say you have to relocate to move up, is that only possible within Canada? If the US is part of the relocation areas, there is No "bomb" to drop, you are simply dedicated and ambitious (if that is considered an unattractive trait, redefine).

Instead of giving the impression to your employers that you are confined by
circumstances, radiate your feeling of being lucky to be associated with such a, (choose words from your companies mission statement...... global, innovative, etc.) company.

Mimic or reflect back the companies buzzwords and goals as your own in a way that reads as genuine not obsequious.

I have spent a lot of time in Ontario, dating a Canadian man on and off for six years. I enjoy your country but I also the understand your need to find your right place.

That place may change with time, as you change. Be open to all possibilities,
Europe, Asia, etc. Sometimes something we never thought of is offered, maybe the "universe " knows best.

Best Wishes

Old 06-13-2011, 02:58 PM

132 posts, read 249,947 times
You sound very young. As far as being "obsessed" with "the States," you are not alone. There are probably more than a billion people around the world that share your obsession. As a close friend of someone who is a graduate of Wharton, I'll tell you first hand, your BA in economics is useless. Your obsession is probably derived from media attention, and is something you can get over. Another recommendation is, calling our great nation "The States" will not help, it often rubs us the wrong way. It is the U.S. You've been "taking Spanish lessons for 5 weeks?"....ha, ha. We have millions of bi and tri linguals. ...5 weeks, oh how funny!

Old 06-13-2011, 03:00 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,171 times
How handy Spanish will be depends on WHERE you are specifically relocating to, and what your company's business involved.

Unless you specify which industry you work in, one can only guess at whether the job listings you see are a true reflection of the employment situation for that industry.

With just a BA in Economics & less then one year experience, finding a company that will sponsor you for an H1B visa will be tough. It is an expensive and time consuming process that only SOME employers MIGHT do for the right candidate in this economy. Maybe you can find a company willing to hire you on a TN visa (assuming the employer knows what a TN visa is). But that is assuming you work in a job that falls into one of the categories for an H1B and/or TN visa.

From a career advancement point of view, it's almost always best to work at HQ. However, it really depends on the company's industry, your role, your experience before you can swing an internal transfer. You will need to look for your companies policy on international transfers.

Also when looking at the internal positions you are interested in, note:
- grade level of the positions
- if they are open to international transfers
- if they are open to international transfers, do they offer relocation

If you are interested in the position (regardless of rather it's international or not), do not apply officially. Contact the hiring manager, do the interviews, have the offer in place, before you start going through the official process through HR.

Is there positions in Canada within your company, that reports to a manager (and/or most of the group is) in the US? That might be a easier scenario for relocation.

Your desire to move to the US seems a bit generic (for the lack of a better word). Seems like a grass is greener scenario from your description right now. Is there a specific area that you are interested in? Have you visited the locations that your company has positions in? Can you imagine living there? Is there something specific you are looking for?

I lived and worked in both the US & Canada...it really isn't all that different. Plus and negatives to both places.

Immigration red tape can be a pain, and re-establishing a life in a new place is stressful (admittedly, the adjustment is easier when one is young). Distances from family & friends can be extremely hard for some....all things to consider.

If you are really serious about immigrating. Start gathering, keeping track of all your immunization, health records. Get an official transcripts from university, keep a copy of the calendar and/or have descriptions of the courses you took for your degree. Have verification of employment from any previous relevant employers.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
When you say you have to relocate to move up, is that only possible within Canada? If the US is part of the relocation areas, there is No "bomb" to drop, you are simply dedicated and ambitious (if that is considered an unattractive trait, redefine).
Nope, they offer relocation assistance and there are more US jobs available internally than Canadian. We only have approximately 10 offices in Canada? Compared to the 100s in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro-Dialin View Post
...5 weeks, oh how funny!
If you read my entire post you'd see that I had no intention on picking up a language in 5 weeks. It's the fact that I'm taking steps in the right direction. I'm 22 and I'm aware that it's a long process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
How handy Spanish will be depends on WHERE you are specifically relocating to, and what your company's business involved.

Unless you specify which industry you work in, one can only guess at whether the job listings you see are a true reflection of the employment situation for that industry.

With just a BA in Economics & less then one year experience, finding a company that will sponsor you for an H1B visa will be tough. It is an expensive and time consuming process that only SOME employers MIGHT do for the right candidate in this economy. Maybe you can find a company willing to hire you on a TN visa (assuming the employer knows what a TN visa is). But that is assuming you work in a job that falls into one of the categories for an H1B and/or TN visa.

From a career advancement point of view, it's almost always best to work at HQ. However, it really depends on the company's industry, your role, your experience before you can swing an internal transfer. You will need to look for your companies policy on international transfers.

Also when looking at the internal positions you are interested in, note:
- grade level of the positions
- if they are open to international transfers
- if they are open to international transfers, do they offer relocation

If you are interested in the position (regardless of rather it's international or not), do not apply officially. Contact the hiring manager, do the interviews, have the offer in place, before you start going through the official process through HR.

Is there positions in Canada within your company, that reports to a manager (and/or most of the group is) in the US? That might be a easier scenario for relocation.

Your desire to move to the US seems a bit generic (for the lack of a better word). Seems like a grass is greener scenario from your description right now. Is there a specific area that you are interested in? Have you visited the locations that your company has positions in? Can you imagine living there? Is there something specific you are looking for?

I lived and worked in both the US & Canada...it really isn't all that different. Plus and negatives to both places.

Immigration red tape can be a pain, and re-establishing a life in a new place is stressful (admittedly, the adjustment is easier when one is young). Distances from family & friends can be extremely hard for some....all things to consider.

If you are really serious about immigrating. Start gathering, keeping track of all your immunization, health records. Get an official transcripts from university, keep a copy of the calendar and/or have descriptions of the courses you took for your degree. Have verification of employment from any previous relevant employers.
Thank you for the insight.

I guess to clarify a little bit, I have a total of three years experience and only one year with my current company. The position I accepted was not an entry level position but required 3-5 years of experience. At the end of the day, we do report to an American location. We are constantly in contact with them throughout the day.

The industry that I work in is supply chain/logistics. It's not exactly everybody's number one choice. Nor do I think it would qualify for anything but a L1 visa.

My reasons for moving could occupy another thread. But to keep it brief, I do have family down in the Southern California area, unfortunately nobody that would be eligible to sponsor me. Due to the family connection that area is on my short list. I'm really into sports and the opportunity to be able to drive 3 hours in either direction and see various pro and Collegiate sporting events is a big draw too. I could rattle off a list of cities that I'd like to live in the US, most I have already visited. While I was in High School I spent some time down there playing football and competing in track and field.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:08 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanvoyager View Post
I guess to clarify a little bit, I have a total of three years experience and only one year with my current company. The position I accepted was not an entry level position but required 3-5 years of experience. At the end of the day, we do report to an American location. We are constantly in contact with them throughout the day.

The industry that I work in is supply chain/logistics. It's not exactly everybody's number one choice. Nor do I think it would qualify for anything but a L1 visa.
If possible, see if you can work directly with the american team(s) ... best if you report directly to a US manager. Get to know them well and then bring up the idea that it might be beneficial for the team that you relocate (and of course, you will welcome the challenge ...blah blah etc.).

But make sure you actually like the location, position has job stability and people you will work well with. The L1 -> Green card process takes time, and you can't change jobs or company until near the end of the process.

Hmm..you will need to go through labor certification for a green card. You have 3 years of experience total..but am I correct when I interpret 2 of those years as before you graduated? Does your position require degree + 3/5 yr experience?

If the 2 years of earlier experience was with co-op/internship and you got an academic credit for it, it might not count with the labor certificate (I had one corporate immigration lawyer said was okay, but they switched firms, the next one said it didn't count...so who knows). I am not sure for a L1, but when I went through labor certification while on H1B, the experience I acquired at my current (sponsoring) company didn't count either.
Anyways, the lawyers should deal with making sure the position description fits you... just start gathering, keeping documents for it.

Until you have 5 years of experience, you will be in the EB3 category. Backlog for that is pretty bad...it's a long wait to a Green card (and be tied down career wise):
Visa Bulletin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration