Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2011, 03:28 PM

2 posts, read 44,224 times

Advertisements

Hi I am a 27 year old white Englishman, I want to move to Hawaii, Oahu with my partner also 27 and child who is a boy of 7, The reason I include skin colour as alot of people and sites say that the people of Hawaii are very racist against white people, for what reason this is I don't know or understand? could someone help me with more information on this subject?

How much money do I need to qualify for the move? I understand I am required to have atleast 6 months worth of money to live on, incase I do not find a job, which I would do anyway,

I am searching local sites to Hawaii and browsing the job market which seems to have alot of jobs available, I will nearer the time of the move apply for a few jobs and arrange for interview when I land,

I just basically would like to know everything I need to know about the move all the pitfalls, how long it may take to get the acceptance weather you have to have qualifications?

I am an electrician, my partner is a buisiness administrator nvq level 2 and customer service level 2.

Hope someone can help and give me the relevant tips and advice to make the move possible.

Thank you Lee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 03:57 PM

18,382 posts, read 19,008,619 times
there is a hawaii folder which will get you more answers. you may want to read up on hawaiian history which will give you a better understanding on why some local folks are not as welcoming as others to outsiders. with that being said, treat people the way you want to be treated and you will be fine. hawaii is very expensive and jobs at this point intime are hard to come by. most jobs are gotten because you know someone or have a skill set that others don't. bring as much money as you can so you can stay as long as you need to get settled. keep enough to get home with if it doesn't work out. good luck

Old 07-02-2011, 04:28 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,664 times
Do you have a visa? Getting one- ie moving over legally- will be your biggest problem. To get a work visa you need more than an electrician's or customer service qualification, and being from the UK, you do not qualify for the diversity lottery. If you have no close relatives in the US who could sponsor you, you either need more sought after qualifications (usually a Masters degree in something, then a US employer who will sponsor you), or lots of money (some $500'000 invested in a US business employing Americans virtually guarantees a Investment Visa).

Old 07-03-2011, 05:24 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,746,678 times
Also if by some amazing miracle, you do manage to qualify for a visa, you will have to be married to a partner you plan to bring with you.

But honestly there isn't much/any call for British trained electricians here, and I would put money on the chances in Hawaii being even less. The NVQ system isn't recognized as being anything more than advanced high school here either.

I think you may have confused the American immigration system with the Canadian one, where you can arrive with 6 months of living expenses if you don't have a job lined up if you qualified for permanent residency in other ways. You can't just move to the US without either a visa sponsored by an employer who was able to prove an American couldn't do the job, or a visa backed up by $500,000 to invest in starting your own business.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:17 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
You need to carefully read through this website which is easily navigable and will tell you everything you need to know about what is necessary to immigrate to the USA:

USCIS Home Page

Old 07-07-2011, 08:10 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,570,972 times
Why HI? You are already eligible for Australia, NZ and certainly the Bahamas or Bermuda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration