Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 09:47 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times

Advertisements

The title pretty much says it all.
Will any of you consider coming here without going through the onorus legal process?
I suppose I shouldn't ask you to say that you will, but do you think it will have an effect on what others might do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 01:54 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,582,765 times
Several people here have said that immigrating legally is so easy and cheap. What they don't consider is that many legal immigrants hire lawyers to make sure everything is in order or because the employer requires so. (I know cases of H1-B people working for school districts that were required to hire a lawyer just as part of the recruiting process, and man, it costs them easily 25% of their wages per year).

After that, usually only one person in the family can work. The rest of the family are not allowed to get jobs. That income must keep an entire family now. Meanwhile, the immigration process takes long years, specially for people from countries like Mexico, India, etc. If something happens, like a RIF ("reduction in force"), the employee just loses everything and has to go back to his/her country. All the years and money invested to get a green card wouldn't count if he/she comes back for a new job.

So, seeing that illegal immigrants are not really having costs for coming here undocumented and seeing how hard it is to migrate legally, of course many people will find it attractive! IMHO, this only kills the incentives for the good hard working people to come.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:57 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,485,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The title pretty much says it all.
Will any of you consider coming here without going through the onorus legal process?
I suppose I shouldn't ask you to say that you will, but do you think it will have an effect on what others might do?
No, it does not/did not change my view, but I am already here, though. Imo, the news did not report it right. They can not apply for work permits. That's why they are here illegally. Not because they were too lazy to get one, but because they would not have gotten one in the first place. Unless, of course, they create a new visa.
I'm a liberal, but I am hating him for this move. What a scumbag. What a slap into the face of the millions of LEGAL immigrants like me.
I hope it does not encourage more people to come illegally, but if you know you will end up getting a free-ride and get a visa you would have never gotten otherwise on top of that, I would not be surprised if illegal immigration goes up. I hope not, though.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:36 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,746,678 times
Could someone please elaborate on the 'move' being discussed? Thanks.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:52 AM

If it's about the changes to deportation guidelines, then no.

There is a world of difference between living here legally and living here illegally. I don't think most people who qualify to live here one way or another would simply come here illegally to avoid a bit of paperwork, the majority of illegals are those who simply would not have qualified otherwise. As a legal immigrant myself who worked extremely hard to get my green card, of course it bothers me that they are considering giving them to people who didn't do that, but the reality is that we have too many people here who aren't going to leave no matter what we do, we might as well give them a way to pay taxes and contribute.

I don't want to see illegal aliens rewarded for their crimes any more than the next person, but we have to face reality, and that is that we're not deterring them no matter what we do. While there are greedy Americans willing to take advantage of their desperation for a better life, they will keep coming.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:06 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Rewarding illegals has already been done once and it didnt help anything so doing it a second time wont help either, knor with the third, fourth or fifth.

I came here legally and it never crossed my mind to do anything illegally. I dont think you are going to see somebody hwo has the means to go through the process legally to just say screw it ill jump in and wait for them to hook me up.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:37 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Legal immigration is neither easy nor cheap. Anyone who says otherwise is either loaded or insane IMO. It took a ton of paperwork, money and legal fees for me to get my green card. I shudder to think what it'l be like when I apply for naturalization.

But ultimately I'd rather be legal than illegal. I can actually work anywhere, I don't have to get scared every time I see a cop, I can serve in the military (something I've always wanted to do), I can end up working for the government (once I naturalize) and I'll be able to vote once I naturalize.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:30 AM

387 posts, read 591,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Legal immigration is neither easy nor cheap. Anyone who says otherwise is either loaded or insane IMO. It took a ton of paperwork, money and legal fees for me to get my green card. I shudder to think what it'l be like when I apply for naturalization.

But ultimately I'd rather be legal than illegal. I can actually work anywhere, I don't have to get scared every time I see a cop, I can serve in the military (something I've always wanted to do), I can end up working for the government (once I naturalize) and I'll be able to vote once I naturalize.
That's correct That's why most immigrants enter US through non-immigrant route like F-1 J-1 or H-1B and then change to Immigrant Visa The process
is little bit easier while in the US as you can move from F-1 to H-1B and work
till the person gets Immigrant Visa

Old 08-29-2011, 07:33 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post

Most illegals really don't get scared every time they see a cop because they know they're not going to be deported and a lot of them live in sanctuary cities, they're not even afraid to show up at a welfare office to apply for food stamps and WIC as soon as they give birth.

I would think legal immigrants would feel like chumps going through the hoops they went through and paying the fees and waiting, and meanwhile illegals poured over and are pouring over the borders and start doing mega-marches demanding this and that and are given what they want.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:50 AM

If life on welfare was the dream life most people make it out to be we'd all be doing it. The same goes for illegal immigration. Why do you think they're asking to become legal if it's such a great life to be undocumented?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration