Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 04:47 PM

4 posts, read 10,497 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I would like to share my situation over here and hope somebody can help me out :wacko:

I am originated from Hong Kong and I hold a Hong Kong passport. I immigrated to the US on 2006 and

I just moved to Toronto for school. While I was living in US, I landed in California and moved to

Boston last year and currently I am a resident of Massachusetts and my driver license was already

switched to a Massachusetts one instead of the California one. The Mass ID(Driver license) will

expire in 2015. I have no relatives in Massachusetts but I have friends over there, so I am thinking

maybe I can use their address for naturalization process. As I have a car, I considered to import

it to Canada and obtain insurance and driver license over there. However, if I wanna switch my

driving license to a Canadian one, I need to surrender the Massachusetts one, which I think the

point is I also surrendering my residency of Massachusetts. Once I surrender my Massachusetts

residency, I think I will have trouble to process my naturalization. Right now I am a US Green

Card holder and I have a student permit which last for 2 years for studying in Canada. I don't

know if I should remain everything same for my car( driving license/license plate) as a US one

or switch to Canadian because I need to file naturalization through mail recently. Moreover,

as far as I am a Green Card holder, I still wanna keep the Green card if I am not able

to get naturalized recently, should I just enter the US border every half year in order to keep it?

And immediately return back to Canada once I re-entered US? Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 06:30 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
What do you mean by "student permit"?

Old 09-07-2011, 10:05 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
What do you mean by "student permit"?
international student status / student visa in Canada

Old 09-08-2011, 11:36 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
international student status / student visa in Canada
Thank you.

To me it sounds like OP is absolutely confused and some of his post makes no sense to me.

This "study permit" is for the Canadian side of the equation. He needs a re-entry permit which has to be applied for in the US. Hopping the border every six months will not work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration