Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 04:28 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuquitina View Post
Sorry I didn't make it clear, I meant the only saved from the ones I've been in.
Anyway, I think you are way too irritated for just a comment, take it easy please, as my intention is not creating any sour debate here.

Have you ever been in Spain? if not, you need to stay here for some weeks to understand what I am saying.
I could give you so many examples, but to make it short, people throws garbage from their moving cars, while walking on the street, smokers do whatever they please even in restricted areas like the airport at luggage claim. And, if you dare asking them politely to stop smoking they even insult you.

I forgot to say I've been in Switzerland and it's amazing how close and how far we are, how different could people be from one country to another.

My parents were from Spain, but I was born in Guatemala and moved to Costa Rica when I was 1yr old. Then I lived there for 15 years.
Some people from Spain call Costa Rica 3rd world, and I can tell you that you wouldn't find a sweetest country. People is sweet, polite, with good manners...
No problem. I understand what you're saying. Yes, people's mentality and quality of life from one European country to another can be very different.

I read your other posts and understand that you're not very happy being in Spain. Congratulations with your move to the US, and I wish you all the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 11:51 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If they have a lower standard of living here, then why would they come here?
Food stamps, WIC, Medicaid that has no co-pay.

In Mexico the costs of living are much much lower than here, the government regulates the price of tortillas, there is nationalized health care but the problem is they have a co-pay based on their incomes. They don't have food stamps, WIC, free food in the schools. The unemployment rate of Mexico is much much lower than in the USA, it's about 5%.

Poverty in the USA is very enticing because in the USA, no one is allowed to fail. Have a baby and you will be provided more than you could have dreamed of back home.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:11 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,692,527 times
What do you expect? The US makes it almost impossible for legal immigrants to get there (unless your spouse is American or you win a green card through the lottery). It's easier to cross the border and then ask for amnesty.

By the way, the standard of living in Western Europe equals or surprasses that of the America, so less people are prone to immigration now.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:55 PM

53 posts, read 211,933 times
Our immigration IS changing and for the reasons people have stated here.

Our immigration has changed because of Ted Kennedy who accomplished the following and in doing so has made it so that America will resemble a third world country.

The 1965 revamp of the entire immigration system. It ended 40 years of low immigration, got rid of solid numerical caps and opened up chain migration into every overpopulated country in the world, exploding annual immigration numbers.
Massive expansion of the refugee programs in the late 1970s, opening up massive loopholes and encouraging a domestic resettlement industry that became a major lobby for more and more overall immigration.
The 1986 blanket amnesty. Kennedy's skills may have been best seen here where he got legislators on our side to agree to the amnesty in exchange for enforcement rules that he made sure were written in a way that would not work. Within a decade, he would be using the inability to enforce the 1986 rules as an excuse for why we needed more green cards and more amnesties. An example of Kennedy's great skill was that he persuaded Ronald Reagan to enthusiastically support this bill.
The 1990 immigration act, which increased overall immigration by another 35%. The first Pres. Bush was Kennedy's co-partner, just as the second Pres. Bush was Kennedy's eager co-partner in trying to force through another blanket amnesty 2001-2008.
The 1990 act also established the lottery whereby we randomly give away 50,000 green cards a year to people in countries picked because they have the least ties and cultural association with the United States, and which disproportionately are terrorist-sponsoring countries. This was something of a compromise for Kennedy who was able to ensure that during the first few years, much of the lottery winners would be illegal aliens from Ireland -- his own ethnic group.
The H-1B visas which have enabled corporations to keep hundreds of thousands of American kids from getting a foothold in the high tech industry

Old 11-10-2011, 02:49 AM

387 posts, read 591,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Germany is the only country from the ones you've been in that could be saved from the 3rd world status? And I assume, you've only been to Germany, Spain and Portugal?

Have you been, to say, Austria, Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Luxembourg, Belgium and so on? Are you talking only about Sourthern and Eastern Europe?

I'm wondering what exactly makes Germany a first world country and countries, like Norway, Sweden or Austria third world countries?

Anyway, in general, how rudeness and unpoliteness of people directly corresponds with a country being a first- versus third wolrd country? Because, I think, most people today think of third wolrd countries as of poor countries with very unstable political and economic conditions with extremely high income inequalities and undemocratic governments.
Incidentally Norway has 4th highest per capita income in the world higher than US or any country in Europe besides Luxemburg

Old 11-10-2011, 08:06 PM

973 posts, read 1,705,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacal View Post
The H-1B visas which have enabled corporations to keep hundreds of thousands of American kids from getting a foothold in the high tech industry
Not too sure about this one as my brother worked for Hewlet Packard until a year ago and was in charge of hiring engineers for over 20 years. And he told me many times that he could never FIND Americans for the jobs that were open, and when he did, the first thing to come out of their mouths was: How much does the job pay? And believe me he WANTED to hire Americans if nothing more (said he) was to be able to correctly pronounce their names!

And from my perspective, I can honestly say that in my 34 years of teaching, I have noticed less and less motivated students going into this field.... not a good thing.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:26 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarrius48 View Post
Not too sure about this one as my brother worked for Hewlet Packard until a year ago and was in charge of hiring engineers for over 20 years. And he told me many times that he could never FIND Americans for the jobs that were open, and when he did, the first thing to come out of their mouths was: How much does the job pay? And believe me he WANTED to hire Americans if nothing more (said he) was to be able to correctly pronounce their names!

And from my perspective, I can honestly say that in my 34 years of teaching, I have noticed less and less motivated students going into this field.... not a good thing.

My dh applied for an engineering position with HP about 3 years ago. He was perfectly qualified, it looked like the job description overlayed his resume! He spent 2 days interviewing, everyone was impressed with him, and that wasn't just being polite. He was all but told he had the job. then, the standard flush letter. BTW, he is an American, white guy, 55+ years old. Guess that is what held him back? He found out later the job was filled with some Indian guy. Of course, they couldn't find anyone qualified from the applicant pool from this country, excepting white, middle-age guys. and yes, you could even prounounce his name!

Old 11-11-2011, 12:00 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,989,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
My dh applied for an engineering position with HP about 3 years ago. He was perfectly qualified, it looked like the job description overlayed his resume! He spent 2 days interviewing, everyone was impressed with him, and that wasn't just being polite. He was all but told he had the job. then, the standard flush letter. BTW, he is an American, white guy, 55+ years old. Guess that is what held him back? He found out later the job was filled with some Indian guy. Of course, they couldn't find anyone qualified from the applicant pool from this country, excepting white, middle-age guys. and yes, you could even prounounce his name!
makes my blood boil.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:00 AM

24,524 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarrius48 View Post

I have done my share of IT recruiting. Pickings in the 10 year experience with reputable companies are slim. 3-5 years, mediore job skills and entitlement mentality is all over. :>(((

Old 11-11-2011, 08:05 AM

24,524 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Well, "some Indian guy" brought more to the table. You give us your view. There is also the employer's view. Just because a resume overlaps with a job description and a candidate interview well does not mean there is the necessary warm and fuzzy feeling necessary for a working relationship on b oth sides. Unfortunately I hear this frequently. Candidates are sure they nailed it and are ready to celebrate while the interviewer's sid does not reflect that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration