U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 02:48 PM

59 posts, read 253,707 times
A couple things...
The 3 year separation will raise eyebrows as Threestep says.

Your child...born in the UK? Has the father filed the US Birth Aboard at the nearest Counselate IN THE UK? If not, he needs to get back and do that ASAP. Both Mom and Dad need to be present and he has to demostrate, that not only is he a US citizen, but he has to have lived in the US for no less than 5 years and 2 of those years needs to be when your husband was under 14 years of age. If you do not do this now (or for sure by your son's 17th birthday, but seriously, why wait), your son will be in the same boat you are in as an adult and they don't give 2 cents if the father was a US citizen (I have no less than 5 friends in this situation).

I am doing exactly what you are doing for my husband, I am the US citzen, but we are going to live in Miami to get it done faster and easier. You will not need a lawyer to do it from the US, but you need to be ON TOP of everything and it will be a full-time job. We opted for a expert immigration lawyer, not a slim ball and all will be done for under $2000US. We don't have the time to do it so we are paying the professional.

From a woman married to a foreigner...tell him to decide what is your families' future. The more you live apart, the more you will be denied from the US consulate in the UK - guaranteed. They have thousands of cases around the world. And they all ready have "no" checked and it is up to your husband to prove them why they should check "yes" and give you the visa. They won't as long as he is "absent from the marriage".

I have a friend here who was denied a student visa because his mom is a US citizen (never registered the birth aboard - dumb!), and he has too much family in the US so they figure he will stay in the US permanantly. Duh!

Bottom line...you will not even get a visa if you are in the UK and he in the states. Ain't gonna happen. (my hubby is a diplomat). Decide point blank do you want to live in the US with your hubby? Then book your tickets (no problem since you have a UK passport), save your money - sell your stuff and go. If he doesn't want you to do it...then suspect something else is going on. If he doesn't want you to go to the states, but wants the family together, then he better hustle back to the UK. Don't mean to mettle, but a little girlfriend advice.

It is key to note that others have said HE has the burden of proof to take care of you. $$, real estate, investments, etc. AND you have to prove your marriage to be very valid - photos, trips together, etc. If he has living parents in the US they can co-sponsor on the financial side. No living on the govt. for immigrants...that is the idea.

Good luck, but seriously you need to look at this cut and dry and make the big plunge. US or UK. They will not give you that visa from the UK, maybe 6 years ago, but not now. You can have a green card in a few months once you are in the states, whereas in the UK it is way more likely to be denied, then you will never get.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 11:09 PM

2 posts, read 1,762 times
I hope someone can help me on this. I'm in the process of petitioning for my son from Vietnam to join me. The problem I have is that my first and middle names were accidently switched when I arrived in the U.S. from a refugee camp. In Vietnam, last name goes first, middle name goes second and first name goes last. I suspect that some official made a mistake by putting a comma after my last name, therefore making my middle name first which doesn't match that on my son's birth certificate. I've been using this name since. Now that his application is in the visa processing stage, I don't know whether or not I should inform the Visa center. I'm worried that he might be rejected. Please help.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:40 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,414,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaswannabe View Post
I am wanting to know how quickly people have got an immigrant visa to the US after filing a petition in US.

I married an American in 2001, I did get a visa but only lived in US for one year and never got the conditions removed so this expired.

My husband filed the petition in US i-130 to the office in the USA, I am in the UK , now how long will this take before I can move!

I understand that the visa people have to send me forms and then it has to go back and forth before I get an appointment.

I now the website has various information ie 12 weeks before they process them and then anotehr wait, but if anyone has gone down this process how long from start to finish did it take?

I havent seen my husband for over 3 yrs but we have decided to give it a go and me move over there, I also have a 2 yr old child (his) and am in the process of applying for her US passport.

Thanks
You need to get your child's American citizenship and passport as soon as possible.
Also your American spouse has to proof that he can support you in the USA.
Also if you are in the USA and you have immigration interview in the USA & it goes successfully you will get a stamp in your passport allowing you to travel overseas (if you need to take a short vacation or something) until your green card comes via the US postal service to your American address.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:33 AM

21,307 posts, read 24,455,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
You need to get your child's American citizenship and passport as soon as possible.
Also your American spouse has to proof that he can support you in the USA.
Also if you are in the USA and you have immigration interview in the USA & it goes successfully you will get a stamp in your passport allowing you to travel overseas (if you need to take a short vacation or something) until your green card comes via the US postal service to your American address.
Chava: the post you're responding to is over two years old. The last poster bumped it with his own unrelated problem.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:51 AM

1,235 posts, read 2,285,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bopham View Post
I hope someone can help me on this. I'm in the process of petitioning for my son from Vietnam to join me. The problem I have is that my first and middle names were accidently switched when I arrived in the U.S. from a refugee camp. In Vietnam, last name goes first, middle name goes second and first name goes last. I suspect that some official made a mistake by putting a comma after my last name, therefore making my middle name first which doesn't match that on my son's birth certificate. I've been using this name since. Now that his application is in the visa processing stage, I don't know whether or not I should inform the Visa center. I'm worried that he might be rejected. Please help.

So your name is the same on the son's birth cert, it is just that the three "parts" of the name are jumbled? Hopefully it won't be a major problem, but I would write a short letter of explanation to the NC, ideally quoting a well-known source (Vietnamese embassy website?) that explains the sequence of Vietnamese names.

PS: You might get better answers if you make this its own topic.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:20 PM

3,082 posts, read 6,357,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bopham View Post
"USCIS" thinks of you (or your son) as a number and not as a name. I wouldn't stay up nights worrying about it, but contacting USCIS and inquiring with them if you need to take additional action is your best bet. In this one very specific case, I believe the advice they will give you will be most accurate to your abnormal situation.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:35 PM

2 posts, read 1,762 times
Since my son's application has already reached Visa processing center, should I pose my question there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration