U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 11-18-2011, 08:25 AM
 
Location: West Texas
2,003 posts, read 1,397,203 times
Reputation: 954

Advertisements

Mexicans or as a matter of fact immigrants from other country like India etc. come to USA so that they can work, save some money and send it back to their home country where that little money gets converted into a good amount due to currency exchange rates.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-18-2011, 09:33 AM
 
5,888 posts, read 8,102,771 times
Reputation: 5889
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post
Because the money.

It is a mirage.

Before, a man left his family in Mexico, was seasonally to work in the U.S. and sent money to his family while he lived so he spent as little as possible on food and services.

Over the years, across to United States illegally became increasingly more difficult, so the man could no longer work for seasons in the U.S. and then return to Mexico, so he decided it was best to take his family with him.

Now this man have to spend his earns in keeping his family in America, he has no money for savings but feels that as long as his family next to him, is worth living and working illegally in the United States.

Now not all illegals are from Mexico, majority who are passing now are from central and south america, also some asians and africans.
And some have rather famous and influental family members in the US:>(
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2011, 05:48 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 2,090,470 times
Reputation: 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Money.

Not because they are greedy, but because just a little bit of money (by our standards) gives a Mexican from a poor background a huge opportunity for improvement, and a lot of security for his family back home.

One Mexican I know, came from a village in Guerrero, where he had three kids and his wife washed clothes on rocks in a river. He came to the USA illegally and worked here 2 or 3 years, earned a fair bit of money, learned a useful working skill, and went back. He took his family to Puerto Vallarta, where he has a regular job and a clean, modern little 3-room house in a pretty, safe neighborhood, and his kids go to good schools.

People like him are more than welcome to come to my country, and I'm proud, as an American, to have given him this chance and shared with him some of our bounty. Despite those of you who gave grudgingly.
So, you are saying that you are OK with illegal immigration. What job was he doing here in the US?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2011, 06:02 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 2,090,470 times
Reputation: 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
How are Mexicans coming to this country living off of Americans for free? Everyone I've ever seen is working and I've lived in Florida where there are a lot of them. Not one was hanging out doing nothing. Can't say the same for a lot of Americans. Saw a lot of Mexicans picking in the fields then taking their paycheck and buying American goods. Very friendly, polite people.
I hate to break it to you, but you got to stop thinking that what you see on the surface is all that is going on.

Of course many that you see are working, but so are a lot of people here that are working and STILL use public assitance.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2011, 06:14 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 2,090,470 times
Reputation: 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
If they are illegal, they don't get WIC or Food Stamps. Everybody in the U.S. gets healthcare that's why we need a system that offers Universal Healthcare so we can control costs. Working illegals who are paying rent are paying property taxes through their landlords and they are paying for public schools. Illegals are also paying sales taxes, fuel taxes and other taxes for which they will never benefit but you will.

Us Americans in Mexico can sign up for Seguro Publico and get free healthcare or for $300 a year, we can get Mexican Medicare called IMSS and it pays 100% of all care including all medicines, unlike US Medicare that has deductibles.
Illegal immigrants do receive things such as food stamps by way of any children that were born in the U.S..

Also, many, tons, of illegal immigrants are getting those taxes back that you say they pay. Come tax-return time, illegal immigrants can get return checks as well.

Also, how can you say that "we" will benefit from such taxes and illegal immigrants won't while their children use our schools, they drive our roads, use our hospitals? Many things.

I'd like to know more about this healthcare plan you speak of, because I don't believe it is that cut-and-dry.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2011, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Axixic, Jalisco, MX
1,185 posts, read 1,553,996 times
Reputation: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
So, you are saying that you are OK with illegal immigration. What job was he doing here in the US?
Illegals pay more taxes than many corporations and they can't take advantage of the taxes they pay like a legals can. No Social Security Disability if they are disabled on the job.

I am ticked off that an illegal took that low paying lettuce picking job I had my eye on. They steal those great jobs from legals who are standing in line wanting roofing jobs in 110 degree heat, digging ditches and working in fields.

Illegal Immigrants Pay More Taxes Than Many Top U.S. Corporations « Alan Colmes' Liberaland

Quote:
According to the Institute for Taxation and Economic Policy (itepnet.org), undocumented workers paid billions in state and local taxes last year. GE, remember, paid NOTHING. Though conservatives will likely put ITEP alongside FactCheck and PolitiFact as liberal propaganda machines, ITEP is, as the NY Daily News reports, “a prestigious, nonprofit, nonpartisan research organization that works on federal, state and local tax policy issues.”
Undocumented Immigrants Paid $11.2 Billion In Taxes While GE Paid Nothing | ThinkProgress

Quote:
At the same time that General Electric was not paying taxes, many undocumented immigrants, who are typically accused of taking advantage of the system while not contributing to it by many on the right, paid $11.2 billion in taxes. A new study by the Institute for Taxation and Economic Policy shows that undocumented immigrants paid $8.4 billion in sales taxes, $1.6 billion in property taxes, and $1.2 billion in personal income taxes last year. The study also estimates that nearly half of all undocumented immigrants pay income taxes.
A breakdown of states and the taxes paid:
http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/jus...-pay-taxes-too
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2011, 10:12 PM
 
427 posts, read 680,795 times
Reputation: 334
Quote:
Come tax-return time, illegal immigrants can get return checks as well.
I've never heard of a jurisdiction that refunds property taxes. Some jurisdictions will refund a part of the sales tax you paid for groceries, if you file a request and are low income. But, I would guess many undocumented workers would be scared to file for these income-based benefits.

Tax returns have to do with federal and state income taxes and federal payroll taxes, not property or sales tax ...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2011, 06:42 AM
 
2,228 posts, read 2,604,738 times
Reputation: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseB View Post
The majority; to live off of Americans for FREE. I would do it to if I came from poverty!
----

Not the impression I've got when I was in the US. Mexicans are hard working people, you find them everywhere doing menial and not so menial work, working as braceros (quite tough), construction crews, hard labour and creating their own economy.

The poeple that live off the rest of Americans are mostly destitute WT or blacks.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2011, 06:56 AM
 
2,228 posts, read 2,604,738 times
Reputation: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Illegal immigrants do receive things such as food stamps by way of any children that were born in the U.S..

Also, many, tons, of illegal immigrants are getting those taxes back that you say they pay. Come tax-return time, illegal immigrants can get return checks as well.

Also, how can you say that "we" will benefit from such taxes and illegal immigrants won't while their children use our schools, they drive our roads, use our hospitals? Many things.

I'd like to know more about this healthcare plan you speak of, because I don't believe it is that cut-and-dry.
-----

I'm from a country with lots of illegal immigrants, I'm talking about Spain.

Yes, many are freeloaders that benefit from social programs such as free health, subsidised housing, etc.

They also increase crime a lot, most of prison inmates are foreigners, etc.

But on the whole, their presence is positive because WITHOUT them the entire agricultural production of Spain (a lot....) would have rot in the fields, there would be no staff to take care of the gigantic touristic industry, no maids, no one could take care of our elders and so son....

Why, because Spanish people were hard workers, but after one generation of subsidies and freebies most are lazy, and the children of the former workers only want to be public servants or a blue collar job.... so now illegal immigrants are necesary....

I know, it's quite sad, but the REALITY.

As to Latins, Latins are western people, they are Christian and tolerant, they speak a romance language similar to English....I would like to see how would Americans react to the presence of one hundred million North Africans on their soil.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Axixic, Jalisco, MX
1,185 posts, read 1,553,996 times
Reputation: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
I've never heard of a jurisdiction that refunds property taxes. Some jurisdictions will refund a part of the sales tax you paid for groceries, if you file a request and are low income. But, I would guess many undocumented workers would be scared to file for these income-based benefits.

Tax returns have to do with federal and state income taxes and federal payroll taxes, not property or sales tax ...
How did this become a refund for taxes is the only benefit of paying taxes? I can't understand that logic.

As a rule property taxes pay for local schools. People complain that illegals are getting a free education yet illegals pay into property taxes like everyone else and therefore they are paying for education. Property taxes also pay for the local health clinics and county hospitals.

Sales taxes contribute to almost anything. Gasoline taxes go toward highway funds.

If illegals pay Social Security taxes, the illegals can never receive the benefit of that tax.

Illegals pay billions into local and federal governments yet they have little if any of the benefits of a legal citizen from those governments.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top