Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 06:40 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,582,506 times

Advertisements

@whatsthenews: Thanks for explaining. I didn't know it was even legal to have agencies in the middle of everything. I've only had the opportunity to meet people with H1-B directly paid by their employers.

@dragonsong: No, I'm not talking about the Z visa. The news talk about "skilled workers". That can perfectly be H1-B and other visas too. And I said "waiting 15 years" for the green card, not the green card itself being valid for 10.

I don't know why you insist on people from China and India being necessarily smarter and educated. To give you an example, this semester my college classes were rocked by American citizens and a few other students from Vietnam, Ethiopia, and even a girl from Chile. I didn't see Indians or Chinese getting automatic A's.

I do agree, however, that "children left behind" and pushing standardized tests is B.S. and that something must be done soon or US education will go downhill quickly.

Good luck to your family with your paperwork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 10:53 AM

385 posts, read 858,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
@whatsthenews: Thanks for explaining. I didn't know it was even legal to have agencies in the middle of everything. I've only had the opportunity to meet people with H1-B directly paid by their employers.

@dragonsong: No, I'm not talking about the Z visa. The news talk about "skilled workers". That can perfectly be H1-B and other visas too. And I said "waiting 15 years" for the green card, not the green card itself being valid for 10.

I don't know why you insist on people from China and India being necessarily smarter and educated. To give you an example, this semester my college classes were rocked by American citizens and a few other students from Vietnam, Ethiopia, and even a girl from Chile. I didn't see Indians or Chinese getting automatic A's.

I do agree, however, that "children left behind" and pushing standardized tests is B.S. and that something must be done soon or US education will go downhill quickly.

I think I may have misunderstood the post or lost track of it sorry for that I wasn't saying the green card was a 10 year card... well I was but i was also saying that my wife would get hers in about two weeks after getting here.
As far as saying that China and India students are smarter and only them,... they are the only ones I know of besides Americans and as Americans we are very much behind in education and I am not saying all Americans but as a nation.
On most points we do agree, but then we both have our opinions on some matters and we will never agree on those ,.. thats okay though.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:19 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,427,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post

Yes- in the peak before retrogression kicked in there were many agencies, some who particularly targeted Philipino nurses, but also ones that existed primarily in the UK.

Regarding people from other countries being "better educated" -that may be the case with some, however ones ability to do a job better than a native of a country involves not only education, but also adaptation to the culture/customs of the country and of the particular area of employment, work experience, language etc etc.

My husband works in health research and they employ people in their mid 20s from outside the US. They have doctorates, but little work or life experiences, often lack interest in finding out about the bigger picture (they are usually IT programmers) , have poor decision making skills and no business acumen. Ask them to think outside of their little box and they are lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration