U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-22-2012, 01:20 AM

2 posts, read 7,627 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Please take a look on special case and help if you have experience on L1 visa.

- I were working for a company in my country which has headquarters in US. I got visa L1 to work with client in US. I finished assignment in US after 3 months and backed to my country for continue working. However, I resigned the company in my country 5 months later.

- At this time, my L1 visa was still NOT expired (1 year) so I use it to re-enter US again and NOW I am living in US. When going to airport, they accept 3 years by stamping on I-94. It means I can live in US in 3 years.

- Currently, my L1 visa expired, however, I-94 is still valid to 2015. So, I have some below concerns

+ Could I stay eligiblely in US to 2015 that was defined on I-94?
+ If I can stay in US to 2015, can I legally find a job? Do other company accept L1 visa when they hire me? Or, they have to sponsor other visa before hiring me (Ex: H1B, Green Card, etc ...). If they don't sponsor other visa for me, are there any ways i find a job?
+ Although my visa expired but I-94 is still valid to 2015, could I extend my Visa so I can back to my country and return to US again?
+ Could I apply Green Card? I heard that we can apply Green Card with L1 visa, is it correct?

Thank you very much for your helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 01:29 AM

18,940 posts, read 11,206,473 times
Why not apply in your own country to legally enter the US then AFTER approved come to the US.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:18 AM

629 posts, read 555,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytran822012 View Post
Hi all,
Please take a look on special case and help if you have experience on L1 visa.

- I were working for a company in my country which has headquarters in US. I got visa L1 to work with client in US. I finished assignment in US after 3 months and backed to my country for continue working. However, I resigned the company in my country 5 months later.

- At this time, my L1 visa was still NOT expired (1 year) so I use it to re-enter US again and NOW I am living in US. When going to airport, they accept 3 years by stamping on I-94. It means I can live in US in 3 years.

- Currently, my L1 visa expired, however, I-94 is still valid to 2015. So, I have some below concerns

+ Could I stay eligiblely in US to 2015 that was defined on I-94?
+ If I can stay in US to 2015, can I legally find a job? Do other company accept L1 visa when they hire me? Or, they have to sponsor other visa before hiring me (Ex: H1B, Green Card, etc ...). If they don't sponsor other visa for me, are there any ways i find a job?
+ Although my visa expired but I-94 is still valid to 2015, could I extend my Visa so I can back to my country and return to US again?
+ Could I apply Green Card? I heard that we can apply Green Card with L1 visa, is it correct?

Thank you very much for your helps.
L1 visas are TIED to your employer. You are out of status. I would simply leave as if nothing had happened and try from abroad, if they find out, you are up for deportation plus a 10 year ban. You shouldn't have used that visa if you were no longer employed with the company.

Your L1 visa can't be used to secure employment. They would have to get you an H1B visa or a similar free trade one (like the TN for Mexico and Canada). Only the employer can apply for Green Card or to extend your L1 status, since you are no longer employed with them that won't be possible.

Good luck.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:12 PM

5,814 posts, read 7,946,171 times
OP is posting this all over the net. So far he has not yet gotten the answer he wants to hear.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:49 PM

2 posts, read 7,627 times
Actually I gave the wrong information, I am still employee of my company. I want to take non-paid leave for 6 months and my company accepted. Could you please tell me the next steps I should do? I intend to continue to go to school, is it possible?

Old 02-22-2012, 06:08 PM

2,638 posts, read 2,990,718 times
thats some wrong info !!!

Old 02-23-2012, 08:46 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,360,073 times
illegal

Old 02-26-2012, 01:35 PM

319 posts, read 411,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytran822012 View Post
However, I resigned the company in my country 5 months later.
So let me get this straight. You resigned from your company and continue to work for the same company in the USA without them knowing about your resignation? I guess the two HRs are not talking to each other... If that is not the case I am sorry for misunderstanding your question and no matter how I look at your case the answer is NO. You need to surrender your I-94 on your way out and come back with a student visa. You want to study in the USA, right? Green cards are sposnored by your employer, having an L-1 does not guarantee change of status.

I hope this helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration