Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 12:16 AM

32 posts, read 156,545 times

Advertisements

Awhile ago I hit "random article" on wikipedia and came across the Argentina Nationality Law, which set off my interest in immigration laws, and it was SO interesting. It says that:
"Citizenship has been granted to immigrants who lacked legal residency or entered the country illegally, and, in exceptional cases, even to immigrants with criminal record.
Recently, the Federal Chamber of Parana established that nobody can be considered an illegal alien in Argentina since the concept of legality applies only to actions violating criminal laws. The violation of the immigration law is a simple administrative issue that can be remedied by applying for residency or citizenship."

I find that pretty fascinating. I also noticed Spain has certain mechanisms for illegal immigrants to become legal, called Arraigo Social, which require 3 years illegal residence and proof of integration and community ties.

Are there countries with such weirdly progressive attitudes? Do other European countries have similar mechanisms as Spain? I certainly didn't expect much from Argentina of all places, but it is fascinating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 12:59 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,171,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandikes77 View Post
Awhile ago I hit "random article" on wikipedia and came across the Argentina Nationality Law, which set off my interest in immigration laws, and it was SO interesting. It says that:
"Citizenship has been granted to immigrants who lacked legal residency or entered the country illegally, and, in exceptional cases, even to immigrants with criminal record.
Recently, the Federal Chamber of Parana established that nobody can be considered an illegal alien in Argentina since the concept of legality applies only to actions violating criminal laws. The violation of the immigration law is a simple administrative issue that can be remedied by applying for residency or citizenship."

I find that pretty fascinating. I also noticed Spain has certain mechanisms for illegal immigrants to become legal, called Arraigo Social, which require 3 years illegal residence and proof of integration and community ties.

Are there countries with such weirdly progressive attitudes? Do other European countries have similar mechanisms as Spain? I certainly didn't expect much from Argentina of all places, but it is fascinating.
It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of (most) European nations had policies like this, since borders have essentially been removed in the Eurozone. One can pretty much live/work freely in the EU without fuss. I guess if you aren't from a European nation, though, that might be a slightly bigger issue.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:26 AM

441 posts, read 883,703 times
something similar happens to citizens of nordic countries - if you were born in Finland for example, it's pretty easy to become a Norwegian citizen. don't know how they handle illegal immigration though.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:28 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,510,800 times
Then I wonder why the USA has BY FAR the highest number of immigrants.

But basically we give illegals anything they want and they are very unlikely ever going to be deported.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:43 PM

363 posts, read 927,341 times
Malamute has a great point,

Our illegal immigrant population(12 million and growing) is higher than the total population of some of the Nordic region countries... It will take a miracle to fix the problem as many later presidents have tried and failed epically.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:08 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,776,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Then I wonder why the USA has BY FAR the highest number of immigrants.

But basically we give illegals anything they want and they are very unlikely ever going to be deported.
One of the reasons why we have so many immigrants (in spite of a bad economy) is because our biggest export is Hollywood, and many people think once they get here, they will live the same way as the American characters portrayed in film. Movies have a way of glamorizing American way of life, and city landscape often looks better than it is.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:10 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,776,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matyoka View Post

Our illegal immigrant population(12 million and growing) is higher than the total population of some of the Nordic region countries... It will take a miracle to fix the problem as many later presidents have tried and failed epically.
We have a lot more than 12 million illegals here. And the only thing we need to do, is to start enforcing existing immigration laws. If the current laws are enforced, the illegals won't be able to survive, and will have not choice but to leave.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:31 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,510,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matyoka View Post

Yes and if we had fewer illegals, then we could take in more legal immigrants.

The way it is, all one has to do is commit felony document fraud and take a job an American or legal immigrant would do -- and because this fraud is so very massive, employers can pay dirt bottom wages and find more than enough cheap labor.

Why would employers pay money to sponsor a legal immigrant when they can so easily get away with breaking the law and bring in truckloads of illegals who will work very cheaply? Why would employers raise wages and benefits when illegals will eagerly take the jobs at any pay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration