Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 08:44 AM

30 posts, read 59,172 times

Advertisements

I am completing my final year of my Masters in Environmental Studies. I have a degree in media and communications and I am looking to find work in the USA, particularly in the south or west coast areas. What tips can you give me on the process of finding sponsorship and the chances of finding effective sponsorship that'll allow me to work in the field of environmental communications for some years in the future?

I recently studied on exchange at Univ of Mississippi and had a fantastic time, and got those 'home' vibes that I've not found anywhere else. I really feel I could start a career and life in the USA.

Cheers!

Last edited by ando300; 03-18-2012 at 09:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 09:55 AM

12 posts, read 16,608 times
Today the economic situation in US is not very good and it will be problem to find any kind of sponsor... Maybe it's better to return to Australia and find some kind of job there and after that from Australia, you can try get a job in the US. A lot of big company's are international now. That means you can get job in Australia and after that you can transfer your job position from Australia to the US. For example, if you get manager job at Sunglass Hut in Australia, you can apply for equal job in US - there is good chance to begin new life and get job in the US without any sponsor.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:30 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Unless you have some outstanding credentials in your field which can't be found in a US citizen, your chances of obtaining sponsorship or a work visa are minimal at best. You might want to read through all the information right here on the USCIS website to see what options you may have:

USCIS Home Page

SWFortman is incorrect in saying if you were to get a job transfer you would be able to get a job in the US without any sponsor. Your job transfer would be dependent upon the sponsorship of the company and your visa status would be dependent upon your continued employment with that company and wouldn't be transferable to other employment. All the information is on the USCIS website. Good luck!

Old 03-18-2012, 11:41 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,831,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFortman View Post
For example, if you get manager job at Sunglass Hut in Australia, you can apply for equal job in US - there is good chance to begin new life and get job in the US without any sponsor.
In that example, you'd be tied to Sunglass hut. What incentive would they have to offer a competitive wage? They have you by the testicles.

My wife worked for a company in Sydney for 1.5 years before they offered her a promotion to NYC. We insisted they sponsor her green card - it was a long process and the company had to prove that no one in the USA would/could do the job.

Good luck!

Old 03-19-2012, 05:31 AM

30 posts, read 59,172 times
Thanks for the help. What is the process for applying for a resident visa?

That way I would not require employer sponsorship, correct?

Cheers

Old 03-19-2012, 05:57 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,664 times
You can't just apply for a residency visa/ greencard. You need a reason, such as employer sponsorship mentioned above or a close family member. The only other way is the Diversity Visa Lottery: Diversity Visa (DV) Program

Old 03-20-2012, 03:59 PM

12 posts, read 16,608 times
Why does he need some kind of reason, if he will get the job? If he already got a job, after that, he can directly apply for a green card, but before that he can live and work just because of a working visa. This is simple.
Look. When the company approves his resume and the first and second interview is done, he can get a working visa, and after that he can make the next step - applying for a green card.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:47 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,664 times
No, SWFortman. It is much more complicated than that to get a working visa to the USA. The employer must show no US person can/ is wiling to do the job. In today's economic climate, that is rather difficult. Even after that, most work visas do not lead to greencards and those that do are employer sponsored.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:09 AM

26 posts, read 66,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
No, SWFortman. It is much more complicated than that to get a working visa to the USA. The employer must show no US person can/ is wiling to do the job.
If you hold an Australian passport the E-3 visa is not too complex (need an Aussie passport) to get...just need:

- job offer
- LCA showing that the rate is inline with the prevailing wage
- degree (or equivalent experience) and role needs to be graduate level

I am on an E-3 visa...

Old 03-22-2012, 05:46 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFortman View Post
Why does he need some kind of reason, if he will get the job? If he already got a job, after that, he can directly apply for a green card, but before that he can live and work just because of a working visa. This is simple.
Look. When the company approves his resume and the first and second interview is done, he can get a working visa, and after that he can make the next step - applying for a green card.
With all due respect, best you hone up on US immigration laws before running the risk of giving out misinformation. This website is pretty much the "bible" where all the procedures are concerned:

USCIS Home Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration